testtest

M1A Scout - ding in every casing

Astout1

Alpha
My new M1A Scout is throwing casings forward (which is good since I shoot left and right handed) but every single casing has a 1 mm or so dent in the side about 1/4 inch below the neck of the shell. Any ideas? I plan to slo-mo video it hoping to find the culprit, but if anyone else has this issue, please let me know. I sent an email to Springfield about it but haven't heard back.

Most if not all semi-auto's ding casings either by bouncing off the rifle or bouncing off something after ejection-
Ruger's Mini 14 dings them real bad.Same type action just smaller.

My new M1A Scout is throwing casings forward (which is good since I shoot left and right handed) but every single casing has a 1 mm or so dent in the side about 1/4 inch below the neck of the shell. Any ideas? I plan to slo-mo video it hoping to find the culprit, but if anyone else has this issue, please let me know. I sent an email to Springfield about it but haven't heard back.

It’s normal for it to put a small “dent” in the case with these rifles. There is nothing wrong with the rifle.

The SKS / AK does the same thing. With steel cases. It's not an issue. If you handload, size the case, reload it, and shoot it again. Those little dings get fire formed out, and you'll likely get another little ding somewhere else on the case. You may want to determine if the case isn't getting "dinged" when being chambered. Or if the bolt itself isn't doing it. Remember, those rounds are stacked tight in the magazine under spring pressure from the follower. The round going into battery may get a little dent at the chamber mouth of the barrel, or the next round in the top of the mag is getting rubbed by the bottom of the bolt as it slides across it. Either way it's not an issue. My 1911's will do the same thing to cases. It's a pretty violent action there, and you are dealing with malleable brass against hard steel. If you do a video, by all means, post it. It will be fun to watch!

Regards,
Bill

Last edited:
You want to see case deformation...see what comes out of a HK91/G3.
C0FA0B3A-AB2E-494D-B2FB-E735CDB84263.jpeg

That fluted chamber really does a number on the brass.

You want to see case deformation...see what comes out of a HK91/G3.
View attachment 8882
That fluted chamber really does a number on the brass.

WOW, I was just going to post the same picture. HK rifle and some pistol do the same thing. Its design to let the gas help with extracting the case. My HK911, HK93 and my MP5 does the same thing.

The SKS / AK does the same thing. With steel cases. It's not an issue. If you handload, size the case, reload it, and shoot it again. Those little dings get fire formed out, and you'll likely get another little ding somewhere else on the case. You may want to determine if the case isn't getting "dinged" when being chambered. Or if the bolt itself isn't doing it. Remember, those rounds are stacked tight in the magazine under spring pressure from the follower. The round going into battery may get a little dent at the chamber mouth of the barrel, or the next round in the top of the mag is getting rubbed by the bottom of the bolt as it slides across it. Either way it's not an issue. My 1911's will do the same thing to cases. It's a pretty violent action there, and you are dealing with malleable brass against hard steel. If you do a video, by all means, post it. It will be fun to watch!

Regards,
Bill
I did 13 slow motion videos this morning. They are not slow motion after I upload them from my phone, so they are not much use to upload here. They are only slow motion on my iPhone. Anyway, after watching one of the angles, the casing is coming out of the chamber with a slightly rearward trajectory and then it hits the charging handle as it comes back forward. This puts the dent in the side and also throws the casing forward.

I did 13 slow motion videos this morning. They are not slow motion after I upload them from my phone, so they are not much use to upload here. They are only slow motion on my iPhone. Anyway, after watching one of the angles, the casing is coming out of the chamber with a slightly rearward trajectory and then it hits the charging handle as it comes back forward. This puts the dent in the side and also throws the casing forward.

Thanks for the information! Interesting!

Regards,
Bill

Back