testtest

Martin PBM Mariner — The Flying Boat Patrol Bomber

My late father was a crewman (electrician) aboard a P5M Martin Marlin in squadron VP49, Bermuda in the early 1950s. The Flying Whales.
vp49logo1.jpg

The PBY got most of the attention. Just as the B-17 over-shadowed the other bombers such as the B-24, I believe the PBM was over-shadowed by the PBY. It seems amazing that just two radial engines managed to get this giant off the ground, let alone off the water. Great piece of history.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Martin PBM Mariner — The Flying Boat Patrol Bomber” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/martin-pbm-mariner-flying-boat/.

Good article. Minor issue: the aircraft in The Raiders of the Lost Ark was actually a Short Solent (being rebuilt in California) standing in for a Martin M-130 (the original China Clipper). Both are four-engined aircraft,

My late dad flew with VP-47 as an avation radioman from the summer of 1941 (Iceland) and later (Central & South America) to the end of the war. My sister has his photo albums and there are pictures of most of the Atlantic places mentioned in the article. It was very nice to see such a historically accurate article.

That is one of my favorite exhibits at the Pima Air Museum, the B-36 is another one I like to see. I have been there twice, and each time stood in awe of these magnificent beast. I would encourage anyone that gets the chance to plan at least a day there.

The PBY got most of the attention. Just as the B-17 over-shadowed the other bombers such as the B-24, I believe the PBM was over-shadowed by the PBY. It seems amazing that just two radial engines managed to get this giant off the ground, let alone off the water. Great piece of history.
yup
i bet it took miles to get on step,
simply amazing for the time

This has to be one of the most interesting aviation stories I have read. Thank you for this insightful article.

Back