testtest

Mossberg 500 safety issue

Bassbob

Emissary
So I just got back from the range. After every shot with 00B the safety slid back a little bit and engaged. It also happened about every 3rd or 4th shot with target loads. Since I know some of you guys are really familiar with Mossberg shotguns I thought I would ask if this was a common problem and what the fix is.

Sounds like you lost your detente/detente slipped…or the little piece of spring steel got weak. Similar thing happened with one of my my 500’s many years ago, needed a new detente… .75, with $3 shipping at the time (I ordered a couple).

Brownells can hook you up.

That is an excellent idea…

Personally, I’d get a new spring & detente at the same time…actually, a couple, as the safety detente going bad is not an uncommon issue on 500’s.
That's an excellent idea.

FYI- The reason I know that was the problem is because I stepped out of the shop and shot 10 rounds of 00B with no issues. And the safety is a little stiffer. The gun is 30+ years old and that safety has never been removed. It was filthy.

That is an excellent idea…

Personally, I’d get a new spring & detente at the same time…actually, a couple, as the safety detente going bad is not an uncommon issue on 500’s.
I'm a Mossberg fan, but my local ranges either don't allow shotguns or only allow slugs. I only shoot shotguns once or twice a year during trips the family land. I shoot on land more often than a few times per year, but it's normally pistol and rifle shooting. I've never had an issue, but my Mossberg 500/590's don't have a very high round count.

Is detente wear usually due to age, or is it use related? How many rounds fired/years does it usually take before a detente starts going bad?

I'm a Mossberg fan, but my local ranges either don't allow shotguns or only allow slugs. I only shoot shotguns once or twice a year during trips the family land. I shoot on land more often than a few times per year, but it's normally pistol and rifle shooting. I've never had an issue, but my Mossberg 500/590's don't have a very high round count.

Is detente wear usually due to age, or is it use related? How many rounds fired/years does it usually take before a detente starts going bad?
Apparently 30 some odd years and tens of thousands of rounds. And really more than that since the safety is functioning properly now.

Brownells has the kit and the parts but they are all out of stock.

Mine went bad (lost the detente ball) fairly soon after I bought it; used, but from a buddy. Likely only had a couple hundred rounds through it when I got it, I probably put the same amount through it.

OTOH, I’ve got a old Westernfield (Montgomery Wards store brand) made by Mossberg that’s got untold rounds through it, never had a problem.

So, it’s really more of a crapshoot…just check the screw holding the safety on and make sure it’s tight, that’s usually the problem (gets loose, and the detente—which is basically a BB sized ball bearing) falls out.

I ordered this one. Aluminum safety, metal plate, detente ball and new screw. I was 1.47 away from free shipping so I ordered another detente ball. Total was $20.47

Good choice you won’t regret it. You can flip it either direction to your preference

Back