testtest

Multitools?

I don't carry one anymore. But back when I used to camp and hike a lot, a Gerber lived on my belt. Now days its in my get home bag. I do have a mini in my glove compartment. I guess I should take it out seeing as there's an actual tool box in the back. :rolleyes:
I also prefer the Gerber because its easier to open. ;)

Anyone carry or use a multitool? If so what kind?

I used to carry one every day when I worked, nowadays I usually leave it on the dresser until I leave the house, unless I am doing chores where it might come in handy.

I have been a fan of the Gerber Multitool since it first came out in 1991. As a matter of fact I still have thier 1st production run model. I have two other models a second generation full size and compact version. The full size lives in my GHB and the compact on my belt. Have had them all for many years now, 20 maybe for the newest, the compact model.

The first generation is the one on the left. If you look closely you can see the big difference in generations the 1st has the handles shut tight even when open its a palm pincher.

View attachment 41306

My dad and I even rewired half the cabin one Thanksgiving day with it. We had an electrical problem and luckily had a roll of wire and the tool, dad had taken his tool box out to load and forgot it. One of the things which really attracted me to the Multipliers was the easy one hand open slide out the front feature, rather like my Microtech lol. You simple squeeze the side buttons and shake it down.

View attachment 41307
Never been a fan.

Never been a fan.
I have found them to be very handy, especially on the job. When working in IT there was always a wire to fix, a printer or terminal to install or fix, a nut or screw to tighten and often way in the back of the shop. Running to get tools would have been wasteful of time and carrying around tools everywhere was cumbersome, especially in dress clothes

The bus was even worse. There were no extraneous items allowed. Dirt roads were constantly loosening nuts or screws on mirrors etc.

I have found them to be very handy, especially on the job. When working in IT there was always a wire to fix, a printer or terminal to install or fix, a nut or screw to tighten and often way in the back of the shop. Running to get tools would have been wasteful of time and carrying around tools everywhere was cumbersome, especially in dress clothes

The bus was even worse. There were no extraneous items allowed. Dirt roads were constantly loosening nuts or screws on mirrors etc.
I have about 6 of them. Different brands and sizes. One stashed in the truck, one in the range bag, etc.. I have never had to use one though. I normally have legitimate tools with me.

I have about 6 of them. Different brands and sizes. One stashed in the truck, one in the range bag, etc.. I have never had to use one though. I normally have legitimate tools with me.
The one major time using obe was Thanksgiving day up at the cabin first year. A good portion of the old wiring fried that morning and dad had taken his tool box out whike loading and missed putting it back in. We already had a roll of wire as rewiring was part of the agenda for that week. There was nothing open and we only had my multitool. So, rather than waste a day we worked with it and got the work done and were able to hunt the rest of the week worry free.

And I’m sure they are very handy they just never appealed to me.

Occasionally if I’m doing something outdoors or inspecting that might require a small set of hand tools. I looped a large piece of hea duty Velcro on the newer belt holster so it’s easy on-easy off. This full size Super Tool might be first generation, I’d like to add the 1/4” bit holder to it.

image.jpg

Screenshot_20221031-143628_Samsung Internet.jpg

I know I've already responded but this is what I cared in the Army and I carried them as a security guard as well.

I was an Ammo Handler in the army and multi-tool came in very handy cutting the banding material on artillery round crates. It was also good for loosening the nose plug on the round.

FB_IMG_1688486797606.jpg

I watched two combat engineers use their Gerbers to clear barbed wire that was wrapped around the axle of a 113 one night.

Almost every job I had as a security guard I was required to rehang nope trespassing signs on the perimeter fence of whatever I was guarding I used my multi-tool almost every day doing that

I carry a Leatherman Skeletool each day. Has a knife, needle nose/wire cutter, philips and slot head screw drivers. Has what i need and is light.View attachment 41329
One of my very first pocket tools was a 'Gerber', leather case and all. It was a promotional give away for some product I was looking into. It was complete with many tools and not just a skimpy mini version. Then one day someone borrowed it "just for a second" ... and I never saw it or him again. In fact I loaned it out at another conference much like the one where I originally got it. I've since gotten a couple decent 'Leatherman' models. Don't use them much anymore since I retired.

Back