testtest

My newHellcat Slide Release extremely hard to use when slide is locked back!!!

I have a new Hellcat, and find that it's a real challenge to release the slide. The gunshop where I got it said that it is functioning exactly as it is supposed to, but wondered if there is ANYTHING that will make it easier to push down? I'm a retired carpenter, with strong hands, but the side of my thumb just ain't happy....or consistently effective.
Thanks to all!
John in FL.

I have a new Hellcat, and find that it's a real challenge to release the slide. The gunshop where I got it said that it is functioning exactly as it is supposed to, but wondered if there is ANYTHING that will make it easier to push down? I'm a retired carpenter, with strong hands, but the side of my thumb just ain't happy....or consistently effective.
Thanks to all!
John in FL.
I never use a slide release to release the slide, only to lock the slide open. To release the slide grasp the slide from the top with your non gun hand, pull back a fraction and let go. This is how we teach combat reloads. Your pistol also has a tactical rack rear sight that you can hook on something to release the slide one handed in a pinch.

I never use a slide release to release the slide, only to lock the slide open. To release the slide grasp the slide from the top with your non gun hand, pull back a fraction and let go. This is how we teach combat reloads. Your pistol also has a tactical rack rear sight that you can hook on something to release the slide one handed in a pinch.
Hi Hayes, Thanks for responding. I have lots to learn, and so far have learned that the slide only locks back when the mag
(this one is empty) is inserted, and will only allow the pull-back-and-let-go after the magazine is removed. Also, when the mag is removed, it is SUPER EASY to depress the SLIDE RELEASE button
As I was reading about trigger upgrades and part polishing, I wondered if there was a mechanical adjustment that might make using the thumb release a bit easier.
I'll be going to the local range this coming week to put a few hundred rounds through it, which some say might help ease things a bit.
Thanks again to all!

Last edited:
Hi Hayes, Thanks for responding. I have lots to learn, and so far have learned that the slide only locks back when the mag
(this one is empty) is inserted, and will only allow the pull-back-and-let-go after the magazine is removed. Also, when the mag is removed, it is SUPER EASY to depress the SLIDE RELEASE button
As I was reading about trigger upgrades and part polishing, I wondered if there was a mechanical adjustment that might make using the thumb release a bit easier.
I'll be going to the local range this coming week to put a few hundred rounds through it, which some say might help ease things a bit.
Thanks again to all!
It is designed to positively lock open when your magazine is empty so that you can reload quickly when the gun runs empty. No, the slide release will not drop the slide when there is an empty magazine in the gun, it isn't supposed to. You don't want to modify the slide release becausd it may then fail to lock open when you run empty.

As @HayesGreener says with an empty mag the slide lock will not release the slide. When you insert a full mag it will. You will find that guns all differ in the stiffness of the slide lock. You’ll also learn there is an ongoing debate over whether it is a slide lock or slide release. For what it’s worth, I do use the slide lock to release the slide on a reload, but I have a gun or two like my Sig P229 Legion where the slide lock is particularly small and difficult to manipulate. In that case I slingshot the slide. You should definitely practice this so that you are not caught unawares at a crucial moment.

This is certainly how I was "raised".

But I recall a self proclaimed expert saying "modern" instructors don't teach that anymore.

It is designed to positively lock open when your magazine is empty so that you can reload quickly when the gun runs empty. No, the slide release will not drop the slide when there is an empty magazine in the gun, it isn't supposed to. You don't want to modify the slide release becausd it may then fail to lock open when you run empty.
Thanks for all the great advice, fellow shooters!
Last thing I will say is that I CAN release the SLIDE with an empty mag still in it SOMETIMES...because it just lets me; yet other times it won't - until put a mag back in, whether full or empty.

This is certainly how I was "raised".

But I recall a self proclaimed expert saying "modern" instructors don't teach that anymore.
Self proclaimed experts are just that, self prolaimed. I have watched a lot of very experienced instructors shoot at IALEFI training conference and various other instructor courses, and I can tell you this just isn't true. Hand size and strength figures into it. You have to take into account what happens to fine motor skills when you are under stress so it just makes sense to operate the pistol with gross motor skills. And we know you will revert to what you practiced when under stress.

Self proclaimed experts are just that, self prolaimed. I have watched a lot of very experienced instructors shoot at IALEFI training conference and various other instructor courses, and I can tell you this just isn't true. Hand size and strength figures into it. You have to take into account what happens to fine motor skills when you are under stress so it just makes sense to operate the pistol with gross motor skills. And we know you will revert to what you practiced when under stress.

And funny enough this self proclaimed expert said using the trigger is a fine motor skill, so using the slide release is nothing to worry about. I knew I was dealing with an idiot. Then he confirmed it.

Back