testtest

New Ronin 5” 9mm Magazine Problems

I also purchased this Wilson Magazine as well. It was slightly cheaper than the Wilson mag in my other post. As you can see this is a 9 rounder with no base pad however it’s drilled and tapped for one. This Wilson mag has the metal spacer at the rear of the mag similar to the factory mag. This mag does not nearly have the spring pressure of my other Wilson or factory mags. I was able to load 9 rounds into it very easily. This mag is part number 920-9FS9, 920 Series 1911 Magazine 9 round.

Nice. Those are good ones.

So my new Wilson Combat mags showed up today. The instructions that came with them recommended loading the mag and letting it sit overnight prior to use due to how heavy the spring is in them. I was only able to get 8 in the mag as 9 and 10 were going to go in rather hard. The magazine on the left in both photos is the Wilson. As you can see the spacer at the rear appears to be plastic or some sort of polymer. This is Wilson part number 500-9...1911 Elite Tactical Magazine 10 round with ETM Base Pad. I’ll report back after I get them to the range.
I just bought two of these for my new 9mm RO Target. Literally took from the UPS guy and went to the range loaded both with 10 rounds and a box later decided they were ok. I like these a lot I'm going to buy a couple more. I feel a lot better knowing that I can at least get the same amount of rounds in my 1911 that I get in my P365.

Ah, 1911's and 9mm. It takes a good mag to make a 1911 9mm work properly and yes the springs can be kinda stiff. As the 9mm round has quite a bit of taper over the length of the cartridge from rim to case mouth they do not stack in the mags the same as .45 does. Also the 1911 mag was designed for the length of the much longer .45 round hence the spacer in the rear. It is always going to be a little harder to load the 10 round 9 mag full compared to a 7-8 round .45.Once it all has loosened up a bit it will be better. 1911's in 9mm are exceedingly nice and easy to shoot. I am probably using that combination now more than anything else. I love them but they do have their quirks. Ammo can be an issue as with any pistol but when you find the setup you like I bet you love it as much as I do. I am now going to see about getting a Ronin as I don't yet have one..

Ah, 1911's and 9mm. It takes a good mag to make a 1911 9mm work properly and yes the springs can be kinda stiff. As the 9mm round has quite a bit of taper over the length of the cartridge from rim to case mouth they do not stack in the mags the same as .45 does. Also the 1911 mag was designed for the length of the much longer .45 round hence the spacer in the rear. It is always going to be a little harder to load the 10 round 9 mag full compared to a 7-8 round .45.Once it all has loosened up a bit it will be better. 1911's in 9mm are exceedingly nice and easy to shoot. I am probably using that combination now more than anything else. I love them but they do have their quirks. Ammo can be an issue as with any pistol but when you find the setup you like I bet you love it as much as I do. I am now going to see about getting a Ronin as I don't yet have one..

The Mr. Rob Leatham? Very nice opening statement. Takes a good mag to make a good 1911 9mm work properly. I couldn’t agree more. Love your videos.

Rob, thank you very much for taking the time to reply. I appreciate your information in regards to the differences between the 9mm case / round and the .45 acp other than the complete obvious.
Once I was able to consistently feed rounds through the Ronin I could tell that it’s possible this gun could quickly become one of my favorite 1911’s........

Last edited:
Just wanted to report back. I’ve been getting to the range about twice a week with the Ronin. It seems the mag situation has remedied itself after letting the mags sit loaded like I previously explained. The factory mags are feeding exceptionally well now, early on I still had several rounds that would not fully chamber without pushing the back of the slide in with my thumb. This has not happened again for quite a few rounds. Both The Wilson Combat mags have run without a single issue.
Thanks again for all the help!

My new 9mm Ronin is having same problems as this thread. 6-8 trips to range, ~100 rds, finally gave up and sent her back a few days ago. Can't get thru a mag without 2-3 jams and/or slidelocks. Factory mag, WC mag, different ammo - made no difference. Will let you know what they did.

Back