testtest

Not a 1911 but pretty darn sweet!

when i sold my S&W 6" 357, there were slight scratches on my grips (stocks), dealer told me buyers look for stuff like that and want the price reduced.

lesson i learned on my 1911's, i should applied to the revolver..

"put on generic grips, then go to sell, put back on originals"
I have a trp full rail, both the sand paper wood grips and the g10 grips are stored away. Have vz's on it now. Hardly see them for sale used with both sets of original grips.

I have a trp full rail, both the sand paper wood grips and the g10 grips are stored away. Have vz's on it now. Hardly see them for sale used with both sets of original grips.
when i had a few of the G model 1911's with the wood grips, i really did not like the feel. so i replaced them with VZ or another brand...then when i sold them, the VZ would come off, and the factory grips back on, and i just rotated the VZ (or other brand) to another 1911.

this way, the original grips showed no signs of damage.

i kept and still keep all my guns as pristine as possible...

Just going by what I read on paperwork attached, I will appreciate any further information you can give. I was born in 1966.
If it has a model number, it's stamped on the frame under the cylinder yoke…10, 10-2, etc…if it’s just a string of numbers, it’s pre-M10.

If you want, you could post (or PM me) the S/N (minus the last 3 or 4 digits so K123xxx, for example) and I can check the Standard Catalog and get an approximate year of manufacture,

The S/N would be stamped on the bottom of the grip.

By the bye—if it was made in 1955, it’s not a 10-5; the -5 change came out in 1962.

If it was made in 1955, it technically isn’t a model 10; S&W didn’t start numbering models until 1957…it would be a Military & Police (M&P).
The date listed in box says April 15 1955, the owners manual says model 10, what am I missing. I am not being smart, I truly want to understand what that means.

Attachments

• 20240315_163352(1).jpg
    20240315_163352(1).jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 31
  • 20240315_163340_resized.jpg
    20240315_163340_resized.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 30
One or the other may not be original, most likely…

Does the S/N on the box match the pistol?
Feels like I am talking to the Bowery King from John Wick. The all seeing, the all knowing. Look I am just saying what I am seeing, educate me if I am wrong but drop the By the bye BS. The box says April 15 1955, the manual says model 10. Your suggestion that all three were purchased separately is asinine. I am trying my best to stay within forum rules and it is not easy. In your great wisdom, tell me more about this firearm.

Feels like I am talking to the Bowery King from John Wick. The all seeing, the all knowing. Look I am just saying what I am seeing, educate me if I am wrong but drop the By the bye BS. The box says April 15 1955, the manual says model 10. Your suggestion that all three were purchased separately is asinine. I am trying my best to stay within forum rules and it is not easy. In your great wisdom, tell me more about this firearm.

Good luck with that.

Last edited:
If that serial number written on the paperwork is correct, that gun dates to 1969-70. Verify by checking the number on the butt of the gun. Also check the frame inside the yoke cut for a model number. I'm thinking probably a 10-5.
May just be me or the picture, but that looks like a 6" barrel to me. Measure from the front face of the cylinder to the end of the barrel. If it is in fact a 5", that's sweet! Don't see a whole lot of those. 😁
Either way S&W made about 10 million model 10s and only those that are absolutely perfect in a perfect original box have any special value. Shoot that puppy and enjoy. ;)

As for the Colt, if its a .380 then it'll be a Model 1908. The Model 1903 was in .32 acp. Also a very nice gun. Congratulations! (y)

I went and dug my 5" M&P out and compared it to your's. Yep, that's definitely a 5" barrel. That's way cool. (y) The 5" guns aren't uncommon, you just don't see them that often. So that adds a little to its value.
And right there on the paperwork somebody wrote Model 10-5. DUH! How did I miss that? :rolleyes:
Anyway, you've got a great revolver there, enjoy it. 😁

If you look at belt fed's photo you will see the side plate screw near the top of the hammer, that is a 5 screw S&W,
the 4 and 5 screw guns will have a screw in the front of the trigger guard also.

"if your gun has five screws it was made 1955 or earlier. If it has four screws, it was made 1955 to 1961. If it has only three screws, it was made 1962 or later. "

My S&W model 41 purchased new in 1977 / 1978 still has the 1955 in the inside of the box lid. :)
It came directly from S&W to the distributor / dealership I worked for at the time.

More info-

Last edited:
By the bye—if it was made in 1955, it’s not a 10-5; the -5 change came out in 1962.

If it was made in 1955, it technically isn’t a model 10; S&W didn’t start numbering models until 1957…it would be a Military & Police (M&P).

I'll have to double check my SCSW when I get home , but off the top of my head , the -5 and -6 started circa 1973 . ( The -5 and -6 made concurrently , the 5 the " standard " aka taper , aka pencil bbl , the -6 the heavy bbl .)

The slightly rounded bottom edge on the Magna grips point to mid to late 70's .

Post up the S/N ( found on bottom of grip frame ) with X for last 2 or 3 digits, and I can give you the year .

After a deeper dive on colt, I think appears to be a model 1908 circa 1925. Cannot find reply where member suggested model 1908 but props to you. Below is from Colts serial lookup site. Will dig deeper into revolver taking suggestions from Hans and update when I have something new. Thank you all for the knowledgeable input.
Screenshot_20240821_183607_Chrome.jpg

I'll have to double check my SCSW when I get home , but off the top of my head , the -5 and -6 started circa 1973 . ( The -5 and -6 made concurrently , the 5 the " standard " aka taper , aka pencil bbl , the -6 the heavy bbl .)

The slightly rounded bottom edge on the Magna grips point to mid to late 70's .

Post up the S/N ( found on bottom of grip frame ) with X for last 2 or 3 digits, and I can give you the year .
D1362xx

Back