testtest

Pepper Spray vs Bear Spray Against Dogs

OldGrunt

Operator
Forgive me if this has been discussed before, but it's soon coming up on the time of year when I like to walk my dogs. I live in South Texas, and for a lot of the year it is too hot for me and the dogs to go for walks. And then it is only on weekends or when I might be off from work. I live out in the country, but a lot of my country neighbors let their dogs roam free (I do not). While I am armed on these walks, I would sure hate to have to shoot someone's dog because it attacks me or my dogs. And there have been several close calls. My thoughts lean towards bear spray, as it seems to be more potent and can be sprayed at further distances. Anyone have any real-world experience with a situation like this? I'm also thinking that because dogs are covered with fur, the more powerful bear spray might be better. Thanks in advance.

I’ve used regular OC spray on a dog and have seen several others use it with positive results.

While either would probably be good if bears are not a concern I’d steer towards OC as it’s generally in smaller containers and it’s formulated for people so if you use it in a 2 legged predator no worries there!

Good luck!

It is illegal to use bear spray on a human.

That said,

Saber Red Dog spray ranges from.
0.25% to 1.0%

SR Bear spray ranges from 1.0 to 2.0 %

People Spray runs around 1.33%.

Bear and dog spray sprays farther. Bear spray will spray around 30 feet.

I personally prefer UDAP Jogger Fogger for people or dogs.

I carry UDAP Bear Spray in the woods

Think i posted this before but it never gets old. lol

Stupid snowflake ! Why didn't she just spray it again a couple times instead of screaming and whining at it.

What I really liked was at first she says if you don't go away I am going to spray you. She does , the bear heads to the kayak , and she says come here bear , don't tear up my kayak . Come here bear. LOL

That said,

0.25% to 1.0%

I don't intend to use it on a person. Just animals. If I run into someone giving me problems, I'll let go of the leash on my German Shepards and let them deal with that person. And that should give me plenty of time to draw my EDC as a last resort. But even before that would happen, I think I would go with the bear spray before breaking leather.

I don't intend to use it on a person. Just animals. If I run into someone giving me problems, I'll let go of the leash on my German Shepards and let them deal with that person. And that should give me plenty of time to draw my EDC as a last resort. But even before that would happen, I think I would go with the bear spray before breaking leather.

He says Ass one time un the video

I've never had to spray a dog but I just carry the Jogger Fogger for people/Dogs and I carry Bear Spray in the mountains

That said,

0.25% to 1.0%

Is that Federal Law or State Law? If it is State Law, is that correct for all 50 states? It is my understanding that regular pepper spray is illegal to carry in some states and in even more municipalities.

Unfortunately, when I could still bench 370 lbs and engaged in various martial arts I never payed attention to this kind of crap. Today I welcome my Remington V3 TAC 13 and my wife does the same with hers around the house along with our handguns. I have zero respect for laws or the people that create or enforce them that puts those lesserly capable at a disadvantage in protecting themselves.

Is that Federal Law or State Law? If
Apparently it's federal law.

Bear spray is labeled as a pesticide and it is specifically labeled not for use on human beings.

Then there's a warning on the can "It is a violation of Federal Law to use this product in a manner inconsistent with its labeling."

I've looked everywhere and I can't find the specific statute but several of the bear spray companies have warnings on their web pages that it's illegal to use on humans.

It's also not really practical to use on human beings.

Bear spray is like a wall of fog and it shoots like 30 feet.

The title of my post says it all. Use against dogs (animals). It is not my intention to carry it for defense against humans, as that is one of the reasons I have dogs for protection. And then my EDC as a last resort. I keep wasp spray near my front door because (get this) I have wasps that try to build nests under my front porch. Now if all I had to protect myself from someone breaking in my front door to get to me, then I'll use it. Same as if I kept a baseball bat in the closet by the front door. Or a cast iron skillet in my kitchen. Or a 2"x4" in my garage. My concern is if it will be good to use against attacking dogs. I live in a pretty conservative, law-abiding part of Texas. Doubt the county DA is going to charge me with using bear spray against an attacker around here.

The title of my post says it all. Use against dogs (animals). It is not my intention to carry it for defense against humans, as that is one of the reasons I have dogs for protection. And then my EDC as a last resort. I keep wasp spray near my front door because (get this) I have wasps that try to build nests under my front porch. Now if all I had to protect myself from someone breaking in my front door to get to me, then I'll use it. Same as if I kept a baseball bat in the closet by the front door. Or a cast iron skillet in my kitchen. Or a 2"x4" in my garage. My concern is if it will be good to use against attacking dogs. I live in a pretty conservative, law-abiding part of Texas. Doubt the county DA is going to charge me with using bear spray against an attacker around here.

My wife has recently acquired one of those new 6" battery powered chain saws that she keeps the the garage. She seems to think that it would be handy against an adversary who didn't have a gun. :rolleyes:

Just watch in windy areas that YOU don’t get sprayed. Way back in the last century my good friend (who was scared silly of big dogs) was a mailman. The USPS finally issued them a spray to repel aggressive dogs. There was a German Shepard on Gary’s route that was always giving him a tough time, so now he was “ready”. He went to work, dog came out and instead of retreating like usually he fired his new blaster. Unfortunately the wind carried it back into HIS face, and the dog nailed him🙄. He was a postman for 30 years and the only time he got bit was when he “sprayed” the dog. Gave us a lot of laughs years later, but at the time he failed to see the humor.

Just watch in windy areas that YOU don’t get sprayed. Way back in the last century my good friend (who was scared silly of big dogs) was a mailman. The USPS finally issued them a spray to repel aggressive dogs. There was a German Shepard on Gary’s route that was always giving him a tough time, so now he was “ready”. He went to work, dog came out and instead of retreating like usually he fired his new blaster. Unfortunately the wind carried it back into HIS face, and the dog nailed him🙄. He was a postman for 30 years and the only time he got bit was when he “sprayed” the dog. Gave us a lot of laughs years later, but at the time he failed to see the humor.

While being aware of wind is sometimes overlooked by folks that don’t know better if one can choose their own a streamer is the way to go. The ones that do a come spray are very susceptible to the user getting residual exposure.

But knowing the USPS someone else probably chose the wrong type because they just don’t know what they don’t know

While being aware of wind is sometimes overlooked by folks that don’t know better if one can choose their own a streamer is the way to go. The ones that do a come spray are very susceptible to the user getting residual exposure.

But knowing the USPS someone else probably chose the wrong type because they just don’t know what they don’t know
More than likely. This was the first stuff USPS ever made available to their personnel. Another story. Gary the mailman had a Ford Pinto as his USPS car. Remember he was very scared of big dogs. One nice spring day he was sitting in the car sorting mail for the next few blocks and not paying attention to his surroundings. A huge St. Bernard came up and licked him on the side of his face. He never admitted it but I still think he had to go home and change his skivvies😊

Back