testtest

Prodigy safety backing out

The safety lever on left side occasionally backs out just enough to make it not usable on the left side. I can whack it with a mallet to get it back in but eventually backs out again. Is there a fix for this or time to get a whole new safety lever?
Call Springfield up, they can remedy the issue under warranty and it won’t cost you a thing. Best to call though

Not familar with Prodigy parts supplies but, why look for a quick fix with a used pistol you have no idea how it was used and maintained. Buying a new safety, assuming they are available, and installing should insure proper performance if and when you need it most.

Just an opinion.

Not familar with Prodigy parts supplies but, why look for a quick fix with a used pistol you have no idea how it was used and maintained. Buying a new safety, assuming they are available, and installing should insure proper performance if and when you need it most.

Just an opinion.
If its not actually "broken" and just misaligned or something, I wouldn't need to buy a new part. If it is indeed broken or worn then I would definitely buy a new one. Just hoping someone can tell me what to look for so I can make that decision....

I have never had an issue with a 1911 safety. Plunger spring is there I assume, there are various possible fixes/issues I have heard. All seem to take some trial and error. Which is why personally I would go new and start out from there.

If it’s occasionally backing out, I’d think the groove that holds in place is worn down (or defective). Of course, that’s pure speculation without seeing the patient. But I bet the person who sold it to you knows exactly why it’s backing out.
I bought it from a pawn shop for $700. Couldn't pass up the deal. Shoots and otherwise operates flawlessly so I consider it a win. Worst case, it needs a new safety lever and its still a good deal. If I do get a new one, should I go factory or is there a better aftermarket choice?

Whacking it with a mallet is not the answer there is a grove on the stud of the safety that has to align with the male part of the stud on the right side safety lever. If you wack it in place you can break that. Also the plunger and spring will slip under the safety messing up other things. That plus whacking the safety in is not good since that part directly touches the sear and you can mess up the bearing surface.

I bought it from a pawn shop for $700. Couldn't pass up the deal. Shoots and otherwise operates flawlessly so I consider it a win. Worst case, it needs a new safety lever and its still a good deal. If I do get a new one, should I go factory or is there a better aftermarket choice?
If I was replacing a safety, I would buy it from the folks who made the gun. A safety is the last thing you want to find “doesn’t quite work right” at the wrong time. If a recoil spring assembly or a mag release button isn’t quite right, it’s really no harm no foul. A safety is a whole other ball game.

When I try non critical parts on my Glocks, I use NDZ Performance. No idea if they make safety levers for SA guns.

Whacking it with a mallet is not the answer there is a grove on the stud of the safety that has to align with the male part of the stud on the right side safety lever. If you wack it in place you can break that. Also the plunger and spring will slip under the safety messing up other things. That plus whacking the safety in is not good since that part directly touches the sear and you can mess up the bearing surface.
Duly noted. The safety lever had backed away from the frame and pushing it with my thumb wasn't enough force to seat it back into place. But now that I have a little guidance, I'll remove it and inspect it and see what I find. I like fixing things and learning how they work. But if it needs replacing I definitely will....

If I was replacing a safety, I would buy it from the folks who made the gun. A safety is the last thing you want to find “doesn’t quite work right” at the wrong time. If a recoil spring assembly or a mag release button isn’t quite right, it’s really no harm no foul. A safety is a whole other ball game.

When I try non critical parts on my Glocks, I use NDZ Performance. No idea if they make safety levers for SA guns.
Understandable... I know some things are better made by aftermarket companies, and some are not.

Back