testtest

Questions on Selling Brass

Not to argue or fight, but "yellow" brass is 51% copper. "Red" brass is 81% copper. Copper is the only component cared about by recyclers. Plenty of yellow brass used in many "plumbing" fittings. Any recycler willing to pay you more money for a "plumbing" fitting they think is red brass, sell it to them.
What is this in response to ?

Critical components such as valves are usually red brass. And valves for gas, are ALWAYS red brass. Couplings, tees, nuts, bushings, etc. are usually yellow.

I can tell you that the place I scrap pays more for Solid red brass gas cocks than they do for casings. And do not mix casings with regular brass.

What is this in response to ?

Critical components such as valves are usually red brass. And valves for gas, are ALWAYS red brass. Couplings, tees, nuts, bushings, etc. are usually yellow.

I can tell you that the place I scrap pays more for Solid red brass gas cocks than they do for casings. And do not mix casings with regular brass.
A previous poster mentioned that "plumbing" fittings get more money than firearm casings. MANY "plumbing" fittings I sell every day are yellow brass, and should not garner a higher price. Ever heard of Shark-Bite fittings? Sold in every retail store...very popular with plumbers...all are 100% yellow brass (low copper). Nothing I sell in my industry (water well) uses yellow brass as standard (I do sell to plumbers as well). Plumbing industry?....different story. And I despise the term "brass" in general, because the variability of copper in different brasses can be considerable. The term "brass" to me is so generic that I sometimes get defensive...my apologies. Let's not get started on the term "bronze"...

A previous poster mentioned that "plumbing" fittings get more money than firearm casings. MANY "plumbing" fittings I sell every day are yellow brass, and should not garner a higher price. Ever heard of Shark-Bite fittings? Sold in every retail store...very popular with plumbers...all are 100% yellow brass (low copper). Nothing I sell in my industry (water well) uses yellow brass as standard (I do sell to plumbers as well). Plumbing industry?....different story. And I despise the term "brass" in general, because the variability of copper in different brasses can be considerable. The term "brass" to me is so generic that I sometimes get defensive...my apologies. Let's not get started on the term "bronze"...
Yes, I very much dislike, distrust and don't use shark bite fittings. Unless it's exposed and I have no choice. My wife will use them, but she has some special $400 DeWalt tool that crimps the fittings on pex so she doesn't use shark bites often either.

So are shell casings yellow brass or does it vary depending on the manufacturer as to the copper content ?

Yes, I very much dislike, distrust and don't use shark bite fittings. Unless it's exposed and I have no choice. My wife will use them, but she has some special $400 DeWalt tool that crimps the fittings on pex so she doesn't use shark bites often either.

So are shell casings yellow brass or does it vary depending on the manufacturer as to the copper content ?
I have no idea regarding casings. I'd bet $100 they are yellow, regardless of the make. I know from personal experience that I wont buy remanufactured anything with ammo.

Back