testtest

Range Report - 9/29/24 Echelon's Maiden Voyage

belladonna

Hellcat
I got to the range a little later than I wanted to (a little past noon) due to family phone calls. It wasn't overly peopley, but just enough so that I couldn't get the lane with the bench and supports for zeroing in dots. I also had to watch a safety video and fill out a range waiver (they have to be done there once per calendar year - mine must have just expired). I figured I would fake it with the Echelon's dot for now and see how she shot.

First up, the new one of course 😎

IMG_4796.jpeg

Right out of the gate she was pretty accurate . I didn't adjust anything.
The first three shots at 15 yards, slow but with no support...
IMG_4797.jpeg

Same target with three more holes, 15 yards. It does need adjustment, but I will do that next weekend up north.

IMG_4799.jpeg

I unloaded the rest of the mag and the other two while chasing that little green dot around. The circle helped, but the guys in the two lanes next to me firing ARs did not. They were horribly loud.
That Echelon shoots so nice! I was a little concerned that the trigger would be like my Hellcat, but it wasn't. It was crisp and light with a short, light reset.

Next up was the Masada and more chase the dot! Actually it wasn't so bad, but the long guns kept making me jump. Made some good Swiss cheese. 15 yards.

IMG_4803.jpeg

IMG_4802.jpeg

Yeah...apparently we need more consistent practice/training ;)

Finally the VP9SK...

IMG_4804.jpeg

IMG_4806.jpeg

Less Swiss cheese with iron sights...things that make you go "hmmm". Ah well, just shows how much I need to get with the program and be more consistent with practice. I did not vary distance today. 15 yards all.

All in all, I felt real good afterward. I know I need work, and once things settle down with the family and I retire, I plan on being at the range at least twice a week. There's an outdoor range not far from here that I learned about at the gun show which is less expensive than the one I belong to, we want to check that out. Also, the husband's cousin is going to reopen his 300 yard range this weekend, so we are going to shoot the long guns ☺️.

That was my afternoon...as per usual, all advice is welcome.

I got to the range a little later than I wanted to (a little past noon) due to family phone calls. It wasn't overly peopley, but just enough so that I couldn't get the lane with the bench and supports for zeroing in dots. I also had to watch a safety video and fill out a range waiver (they have to be done there once per calendar year - mine must have just expired). I figured I would fake it with the Echelon's dot for now and see how she shot.

View attachment 67480

View attachment 67482

Same target with three more holes, 15 yards. It does need adjustment, but I will do that next weekend up north.

View attachment 67483

I unloaded the rest of the mag and the other two while chasing that little green dot around. The circle helped, but the guys in the two lanes next to me firing ARs did not. They were horribly loud.
That Echelon shoots so nice! I was a little concerned that the trigger would be like my Hellcat, but it wasn't. It was crisp and light with a short, light reset.

Next up was the Masada and more chase the dot! Actually it wasn't so bad, but the long guns kept making me jump. Made some good Swiss cheese. 15 yards.

View attachment 67484

View attachment 67485

Finally the VP9SK...

View attachment 67486

View attachment 67487
Less Swiss cheese with iron sights...things that make you go "hmmm". Ah well, just shows how much I need to get with the program and be more consistent with practice. I did not vary distance today. 15 yards all.

All in all, I felt real good afterward. I know I need work, and once things settle down with the family and I retire, I plan on being at the range at least twice a week. There's an outdoor range not far from here that I learned about at the gun show which is less expensive than the one I belong to, we want to check that out. Also, the husband's cousin is going to reopen his 300 yard range this weekend, so we are going to shoot the long guns ☺️.

Well done, looks like a nice day to me. Would definitely ruin some goons day

View attachment 67480

View attachment 67482

View attachment 67483

View attachment 67484

View attachment 67485

Finally the VP9SK...

View attachment 67486

View attachment 67487

The dots won't make you instantly more accurate I'm afraid. It's a different sighting system you will have to get used to. Same fundamentals do apply though. For starters I wouldn't sweat anything until the dots are zero'ed and you spend some quality time behind them. You're doing fine. :cool:

I hate to say it but I think you need to get rid of that VP9 SK . I want to be of great help to you so I will take it off your hands so you can concentrate more on the other firearms you have. :p Other then that little item , I think you are doing great. (y)

The dots won't make you instantly more accurate I'm afraid. It's a different sighting system you will have to get used to. Same fundamentals do apply though. For starters I wouldn't sweat anything until the dots are zero'ed and you spend some quality time behind them. You're doing fine. :cool:
Thank you! I know the dot is only as good as the user. You said it exactly, I need to put quality time in with the tools I am going to use most. I am excited for the next chapter of my life, which is coming soon. I have so much to do.

Thank you! I know the dot is only as good as the user. You said it exactly, I need to put quality time in with the tools I am going to use most. I am excited for the next chapter of my life, which is coming soon. I have so much to do.
I think that possibly the groups being wide may be a result of you trying too hard to keep that little dot still. Next time you are out shooting, line up your gun using the iron sights. If when you have your sight picture correct, the dot is sitting on the tip of your front sight, it's probably not the dot because you are most likely zero'ed, assuming the irons are on.

Holding that dot perfectly still for long is an exercise in futility and trying is going to lead to larger groups. A dot will bring your flawed fundamentals front and center.
After you are reasonably convinced your dot is probably zero'ed and it's user error, start again. Concentrate on fundamentals. Trigger press and follow through are really important. Relax and go slow. You will see, it will get to the point where you know before you see where the shot landed if it was a good shot or not. Now you got it on the run. You get your shite straight, put the dot on the target and press the button. Don't hesitate. :)

I think that possibly the groups being wide may be a result of you trying too hard to keep that little dot still. Next time you are out shooting, line up your gun using the iron sights. If when you have your sight picture correct, the dot is sitting on the tip of your front sight, it's probably not the dot because you are most likely zero'ed, assuming the irons are on.

Holding that dot perfectly still for long is an exercise in futility and trying is going to lead to larger groups. A dot will bring your flawed fundamentals front and center.
After you are reasonably convinced your dot is probably zero'ed and it's user error, start again. Concentrate on fundamentals. Trigger press and follow through are really important. Relax and go slow. You will see, it will get to the point where you know before you see where the shot landed if it was a good shot or not. Now you got it on the run. You get your shite straight, put the dot on the target and press the button. Don't hesitate. :)
Even if you are not zeroed you should still be able to group shots next to each other, just not exactly where you want them. From there you can adjust them in. You should be able to get there within 9 shots. I never use a rest to zero my dots.

Even if you are not zeroed you should still be able to group shots next to each other, just not exactly where you want them. From there you can adjust them in. You should be able to get there within 9 shots. I never use a rest to zero my dots.
Wel la de da. :ROFLMAO:

I do. I eliminate as much human error as I can straight away. I also suggest people with no experience with dots and especially those with minimal experience with handguns do it off a rest for one simple reason. If you can rule out fundamental failures on your part as a variable you will waste less ammo and have a lot less frustration zero'ing.

It normally doesn't take me 9 rounds.

I do. I eliminate as much human error as I can straight away. I also suggest people with no experience with dots and especially those with minimal experience with handguns do it off a rest for one simple reason. If you can rule out fundamental failures on your part as a variable you will waste less ammo and have a lot less frustration zero'ing.

It only takes me 1 round…….🤪🤪🤪🤪

Me either.

3 rounds

IMG_7379.jpeg

1727670025725.gif

🤪🤪

Back