testtest

Review: Charter Arms Professional

Annihilator

Emissary
Founding Member
Nice review of the Charter Arms Professional chambered in .357 mag and also in .32H&R mag.

I carried the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug for quite a few years. It is a stainless, 5 shot, 44 Special with a bobbed hammer and fixed "sights". I installed Pachmayr grips so I could reliably hang onto it. It went "Bang!" every time but I was never able to hit the broad side of a red barn at 25 yards with it.

When I read about the movie shooting in Colorado, I realized I needed something I could make hits with from across the room. That's when I got my 45 ACP, XD-S with a Crimson Trace Laser Guard. I still have that Pug and sometimes it comes out of the safe for making noise. I still can't hit with it but I sure like the design, size and shape.

I guessed maybe I got a lemon. I couldn't see how they could all be that inaccurate.
Then I read the article and saw the group sizes in the report.
See what I mean about red barns?

I carried the Charter Arms Bulldog Pug for quite a few years. It is a stainless, 5 shot, 44 Special with a bobbed hammer and fixed "sights". I installed Pachmayr grips so I could reliably hang onto it. It went "Bang!" every time but I was never able to hit the broad side of a red barn at 25 yards with it.

When I read about the movie shooting in Colorado, I realized I needed something I could make hits with from across the room. That's when I got my 45 ACP, XD-S with a Crimson Trace Laser Guard. I still have that Pug and sometimes it comes out of the safe for making noise. I still can't hit with it but I sure like the design, size and shape.

I guessed maybe I got a lemon. I couldn't see how they could all be that inaccurate.
Then I read the article and saw the group sizes in the report.
See what I mean about red barns?
Have you tried this in your Charter Arms? My Bulldog shoots this pretty good
1622418195444.jpeg

That’s odd, my Bulldog shoots good, just a tad to the left, but I do have a bad habit at times jerking the trigger some.
I have other wheel guns that I am able to manage with. Don't get me wrong. I am more than happy to admit to being blind, having a sloppy grip, and jerking the "wooby lever". For some reason, all of my sins resurface to combine with this particular firearm into poor (exceedingly poor) marksmanship.
Further load testing seems indicated.

No, but you know, that sounds like a great idea!
It just so happens, I will be wandering around inside my LGS this afternoon. I will keep an eye out.
What weight projectile is that? Looks like a 240 or so...
240gr, so far this load doesn’t really lead up the barrel much.

240gr, so far this load doesn’t really lead up the barrel much.
I was in the LGS yesterday and the only Magtech ammo they had was for the 454 Casull.
The fellow there said they normally (whenever that returns) have quite a few different loads and calibers for the Cowboy Action shooter.
I'll keep my eye out.
So then I went over to the reloading section. There was not one 44 caliber projectile of any weight or description on the shelf.
I recently got ahold of a box of 230 grain coated led projectiles for the 45 ACPs.
Perhaps I'll go look there for bullets and make my own!
Sounds like more fun anyway.

Back