testtest

Ruger Super Redhawk

Not a fun gun to shoot ... 500 S&W Magnum
5View attachment 6507
1590364125033.gif

My cousin and I went to an indoor range a little while ago. I had my
44 Super Blackhawk, as did a guy two stalls down. The guy between us had a 9mm. It was fun to watch him stagger a bit after the two big bores next to him went off one after the other. He was not prepared.

Well, the S&W .460 can shoot the following calibers, .460S&W, .454casull and the .45 Colt, The Ruger only .454casull, and .45 Colt. The Ruger is probably a stronger gun, the S&W has the gain twist rifling, so it is intended for longer ranges. Just depends are your use for it, don’t forget the original Taurus Raging Bull, in .454 casull.

I would disagree with the SRH being stronger than the X-Frame S&W .460...it's the same frame that the .500 uses.

The .460 isn’t all that bad to shoot; .454 in it is pretty mild...but 5 pounds of handgun goes a long way in taming recoil.

My cousin and I went to an indoor range a little while ago. I had my
44 Super Blackhawk, as did a guy two stalls down. The guy between us had a 9mm. It was fun to watch him stagger a bit after the two big bores next to him went off one after the other. He was not prepared.

True story:

A buddy and I were at Bills indoor range a few years ago; he brought his 4” .500 S&W, and his...rather warm...handloads.

On a fairly busy Saturday.

Set up, ran the target out to 7 yards, he said I should try it out...brought it up, aimed...

WHAAAAM.

Brilliant purple-orange fireball. The muzzle blast ripped the target out of the hangers (I drilled the 10-ring, though).

The entire range fell utterly silent.

The guy in the lane next to us jumped back—the muzzle flash was well in his lane.

A range officer appeared as if he had teleported...thought there had been a catastrophic failure, someone's gun blew up...laughed when he saw what we were shooting, said we just might want to run the target out a bit further next time...

It was probably one of those guns that is the reason I’m using hearing aids now. 🤦‍♂️
I spoke directly with Annihilator about getting a revolver recently as I was thinking about carrying one in an ankle rig. After research I realized wearing pull on calf high boots won’t work with a ankle holster. I also found the comments in this post on SW Quality issues interesting especially after the gun store I visited which is part of the outdoor range I shoot at says they don’t sell Smith&Wesson guns 🤔

Last edited:
I used to have a Super Blackhawk in .44. It was a very well made gun. Very accurate. I think it was 10 or 10.5". Recoil is not light. Certainly not unmanageable but I wouldn't classify it as a fun gun to shoot. DIdn't check all the boxes I needed for Missouri whitetail hunting either. Primarily because it's hard to shoot one handed comfortably.

The Taurus has an 8 3/8" ported barrel, is easy to shoot one handed with either hand and deadly accurate to 100 yards or better.

This is a spike I shot last day of the season in 2006 from around 90 yards.

fCc8gPc.jpg

Back