testtest

S&W Victory .38

I am by no means an expert but here are a few thoughts. I have one in original condition. .38 S&W. To my knowledge the Victory guns all had a parkerized finish and a lanyard ring. Some had the V in the serial number. There would be a hole in the butt strap for the lanyard which is easily removable. In your photo the stamping is blurred which suggests the original finish was buffed off and it was re-blued. I would say it has little collector value in that condition but they are good shooters, with a stiff DA trigger pull. You can probably get an expert assessment over on the S&W forum, there are some serious collectors over there.

Right.

If it’s a Victory, it should have “US PROPERTY” on the top strap above the left hand side of the cylinder.

Unless it’s in .38 S&W (not .38 S&W Special—can’t make out the barrel markings)—that would make it a Lend-Lease gun to England.

Either way…the finish is not original (should be parkerized); the markings in the barrel are faint, so it’s been polished (probably to remove pitting) and then reblued…and perhaps the picture doesn’t do it justice, but it doesn’t look like a particularly good job.

Grips are (obviously) not correct; should be smooth wood. The lanyard ring is also missing.

If it’s good mechanically, it should be a solid shooter…it’s what became the Model 10 in the ‘50’s. If that’s the case, I’d give $300 for it.

I’ll see if I can find pictures of the VM I picked up 10 years or so ago; paid $300 then, but it was original finish.

Right.

If it’s a Victory, it should have “US PROPERTY” on the top strap above the left hand side of the cylinder.

Unless it’s in .38 S&W (not .38 S&W Special—can’t make out the barrel markings)—that would make it a Lend-Lease gun to England.

Either way…the finish is not original (should be parkerized); the markings in the barrel are faint, so it’s been polished (probably to remove pitting) and then reblued…and perhaps the picture doesn’t do it justice, but it doesn’t look like a particularly good job.

Grips are (obviously) not correct; should be smooth wood. The lanyard ring is also missing.

If it’s good mechanically, it should be a solid shooter…it’s what became the Model 10 in the ‘50’s. If that’s the case, I’d give $300 for it.

I’ll see if I can find pictures of the VM I picked up 10 years or so ago; paid $300 then, but it was original finish.
Yes I was thinking $300 on the outside if it is in good mechanical condition

IMG_0970.jpeg
IMG_0971.jpeg

This is my Victory that I picked up in 2014 for $289. Grips were not correct (early 1960’s, iirc), and it was missing the lanyard ring. I picked up correct grips in rough shape for $25, and picked up a NICE pair a couple years ago for $50, iirc.

You can’t see the US Property markings, but they are right by the rear sight channel.

It’s tight; no end shake, no dragging…shoots very well. I’d carry it today with no qualms, and I’d shoot +P FBI loads in it without a second thought.

I knew the grips weren’t original, though these grips seem to be on a hell of a lot of these guns. It does have a V in the serial number. I haven’t seen it in person.

My thoughts were to offer $300 for this gun and this gun

It’s a Hawes Derringer in .357

My research suggests the derringer is worth $150. So that would have me paying $200 for the Smith and $100 for the derringer.
That sound like a good deal ?

I knew the grips weren’t original, though these grips seem to be on a hell of a lot of these guns. It does have a V in the serial number. I haven’t seen it in person.

My research suggests the derringer is worth $150. So that would have me paying $200 for the Smith and $100 for the derringer.
I’d do that.

The guy also has an Italian repro Colt Army in a presentation case. Kinda beat up. And a Raven P25. Neither of which interests me.

Oh and he has a Erma .22 pistol. Looks kinda like a Luger and has about a 14” barrel. He seems to think that one is worth something. Again I’m not interested.

The guy also has an Italian repro Colt Army in a presentation case. Kinda beat up. And a Raven P25. Neither of which interests me.

Oh and he has a Erma .22 pistol. Looks kinda like a Luger and has about a 14” barrel. He seems to think that one is worth something. Again I’m not interested.
Better check, but I believe Ermas had alloy frames or at least the one I had did. Seems I had a problem with it feeding properly. Sat in a box with other junk for years until I traded it. The Interarms .22 was better made as I remember, but remembering for me is sometimes problematic!

If it is a Victory, the serial number will begin with "V". But this one has been poorly refinished and has the wrong grips. Any collector value is gone. Its only value is as a shooter and that's only if it checks out mechanically. I'd guess $300 would be fair. But honestly, I'd pass. :rolleyes:

The Erma .22 Lugers do have quite a following. Depending on price, you might flip that for a decent profit. But the long barrel wouldn't appeal to me.

The real find in this group is the Raven P25. Yep, cheap, junky, Saturday night special. But the darn things are completely reliable. Never malfunction and go bang every single time. That one I'd buy for $50 or less. ;)

If it is a Victory, the serial number will begin with "V". But this one has been poorly refinished and has the wrong grips. Any collector value is gone. Its only value is as a shooter and that's only if it checks out mechanically. I'd guess $300 would be fair. But honestly, I'd pass. :rolleyes:

The Erma .22 Lugers do have quite a following. Depending on price, you might flip that for a decent profit. But the long barrel wouldn't appeal to me.

The real find in this group is the Raven P25. Yep, cheap, junky, Saturday night special. But the darn things are completely reliable. Never malfunction and go bang every single time. That one I'd buy for $50 or less. ;)
It is a Victory. V in the serial. No Property of US on it anywhere. I’ll take it for $200 if it times up and is mechanically sound. The .357 Derringer for $100 is the real deal. F that Raven. It’s only good if you’re a cop and need a throwaway. Ah but those days are long gone, right ? 🤣

TUREGUNVALUE.com
What is a S&W VICTORY .38 Pistol Worth?
A S&W VICTORY .38 pistol is currently worth an average price of $682.53 used . The 12 month average price is $682.53 used.
The used value of a S&W VICTORY .38 pistol has fallen ($32.47) dollars over the past 12 months to a price of $682.53 .
The demand of new S&W VICTORY .38 pistol's has not changed over the past 12 months. The demand of used S&W VICTORY .38 pistol's has fallen 10 units over the past 12 months.
Trade In $443.64 -
Private Party $682.53

Seems awful high to me but I'm so far out of the loop everything seems high to me.

for 300-400 I would jump on both but again I'm so far out of the loop...

They don't all say U.S. Property .

Large numbers of them were sold by DSC ( Defense Supply Corporation) to Defense Contractors for their in house Gaurd Forces . Plus lesser numbers to Maritime Port Authorities , and Civil Defense Orgs .

Not all were Parkerized .

In the early war , so called Transitional guns , as guns and components were plucked from regular production lines and supply chains to give priority to the Government contracts . Some of them came with variations of Commercial bright blue , and matte blued , and some had standard production checkered grips .

My VS Victory is unmarked , and presumably a DSC gun . When I got it , it had aftermarket plastic " stag " grips , so unknown what grips originally equipped.

Problem with older wheelguns is the aging population, IMO. Remember about the year 2000 when Model Ts were popular, but the people who drove valued and remember them started to die off. Even the muscle cars I knew and drove are starting to decline in value. Same with wheelguns, kids have little interest in them, preferring the latest plastic models. Maybe just not yet, but getting there.

I have never heard of Hawes
Hawes was a firearms importer during the 1960s. Most of their guns were actually made by J.P.Sauer and Sohn in Germany. They were good guns. They pretty much specialized in old west type firearms. Specifically, clones of the SAA. The gun James Arness carried in Gunsmoke was a Hawes Western Marshall.

Last edited:
Their "SAA" revolvers were well made . They were a bit larger than actual SAA , such that could , and were offered in .44 Mag . Which should also make them them capable of " Blackhawk only " loads in .45 Colt .

At some point , J.P. Sauer sold the design & rights to Weirauch , also in Germany . Hey are currently imported primarily by EAA as their Bounty Hunter .

Current ones have Transfer Bar . Off the top of my head , not sure when the switch , or if they made both in parallel for a time .

Back