testtest

Self Defense: When a Trigger Upgrade Becomes A Hair Trigger

Well I don't have to worry about my XDs .45 trigger being to light. After installing a spring kit and a new sear , the trigger pull weight is ...... 6.4 LBS. I did leave in the original striker spring to make certain I didn't have any light strike problems.

This trigger was horrendous from the factory for some reason. I love the firearm but over 8 LBS trigger pull weight from the factory is a bit much.

For F(rank)’s Sake.

Double action autos and revolvers do just fine with trigger weights around 10 pounds.

You don’t need a light trigger, just a clean trigger...there’s a difference, and those searching for ultralight breaks arent smart enough to know it.

Excuse me but yes I do know the difference and I am smart enough to know it. Not only was the stock trigger very heavy but it was also very mushy , very long and also gritty.

I have been around guns all of my life and I do know a little bit about guns and triggers. By the way , 6.4 LBS isn't ultralight for a trigger.

Excuse me but yes I do know the difference and I am smart enough to know it. Not only was the stock trigger very heavy but it was also very mushy , very long and also gritty.

I have been around guns all of my life and I do know a little bit about guns and triggers. By the way , 6.4 LBS isn't ultralight for a trigger.

I don’t think Hans was referring to you just the article in general. I have a Timney in one of my AR’s and it’s the lightest trigger I have. I am a trigger snob. I love a good trigger and any competition shooter will tell you that the heart of a gun, rifle or pistol is a trigger. I know we are talking defensive pistols according to the article but you can have a 5lb trigger that “feels” like a 2-2.5lb trigger. Smooth take up and crisp break is ideal. If you had your slo-mo camera on a gun that had a 6.5lb trigger on one that had a 5lb trigger you would see some noticeable movement. 1.5lb is a lot, in triggers.

I’m not condoning a 1.5lb custom basement trigger job for a carry gun nor your bench gun but a good trigger be it your carry gun or bench gun or hunting rig will make a difference on target.

Sorry—that wasn’t aimed at you, or anyone here, more just a general comment on the constant rush to drop a lighter, therefore “better” trigger in pistols that aren't designed for it.

Apologies if it came across the wrong way.

Sorry—that wasn’t aimed at you, or anyone here, more just a general comment on the constant rush to drop a lighter, therefore “better” trigger in pistols that aren't designed for it.

Apologies if it came across the wrong way.

I guess I shouldn't have been so fast to jump either. All's good. (y) Guess that's what I get for being aggravated by some B.S from a neighboring apartment.

I guess I shouldn't have been so fast to jump either. All's good. (y) Guess that's what I get for being aggravated by some B.S from a neighboring apartment.
Don’t feel bad papa, I own my house and got idiots across the street, on my right side of house and in alley behind me.....we all get in moods like that 😬

I totally get that.

I'm dealing with my street being torn up in front of my house, and a solid inch of rain yesterday morning turned it into soup, and making it completely inaccessible by vehicle...and my water softener bit the dust today...so I was a little aggravated when I wrote my first reply, and it came across (I can see where you were coming from in your reply).

So, no harm, no foul.

Most people I know aren't really modding their carry pieces with lighter triggers. Generally smoother, less take up, shorter reset and yeah sometimes a tad lighter depending on the gun.

Also I have asked many people who make the overzealous, anti-gun prosecutor argument to give one example of it actually happening. To date nobody has come up with one. The closest was a cop who had painted " You're F***ed" on his personal shotgun, which he then used to kill a perpetrator while on duty.

When I worked at my Sheriff Dept and jail, there was a trial going on, our jail had 2 courtrooms, the county prosecutor, which I knew, was talking about CCW, and told us never alter your CCW gun, if lawyers new that it was altered, it just opens a whole can of worms in a self defense situation and if you have to go to court, it could really be bad for you, just my opinion on what I was told.

When I worked at my Sheriff Dept and jail, there was a trial going on, our jail had 2 courtrooms, the county prosecutor, which I knew, was talking about CCW, and told us never alter your CCW gun, if lawyers new that it was altered, it just opens a whole can of worms in a self defense situation and if you have to go to court, it could really be bad for you, just my opinion on what I was told.
I have also heard that they would have a field day with you in court.

Yeah we've all heard it. Mostly on the internet. Nobody can cite a single example of it ever happening though. In fact I've never heard of a prosecutor even measuring trigger pull, much less going far enough in depth into the gun to figure out if all the parts were stock. And if it did happen it's pretty likely it wasn't anything resembling a legitimate SD shoot.

There is absolutely nothing nefarious about modifying a firearm to aid you in a self defense situation. No laws I know of require you to leave a gun stock or only use a firearm for self defense if the trigger pull is 5lbs or greater.

There is absolutely nothing nefarious about modifying a firearm to aid you in a self defense situation. No laws I know of require you to leave a gun stock or only use a firearm for self defense if the trigger pull is 5lbs or greater.
He was just giving us some advice, also the sheriff didn’t allow any of his deputies to alter any of there duty guns, or off duty guns, just relaying this.

I think the big issue with a hair pin trigger isn't the fact of using it in a self defense scenario but more of having a greater chance of an accidental discharge from having a hairpin trigger and dealing with the legal consequences of such an instance.

As we all know there is tons of myths associated with firearms like the hairpin trigger or how carrying a 10mm for self defense will get you convicted easier if you had to use it then a more popular round like 9mm.

I'm sure you all have heard the myth of someone having to register their hands because they practiced some form of martial arts. This myth has been circulating for years and there was never an instance of this being true just like a lot of the gun myths out there.
I'm sure that most of the people out there repeating these myths are not doing it out of deceit but more of not putting the time into checking the validity of the subject because the subject seems plausible.

Last edited:
As we all know there is tons of myths associated with firearms like the hairpin trigger or how carrying a 10mm for self defense will get you convicted easier if you had to use it then a more popular round like 9mm.

I'm sure you all have heard the myth of someone having to register their hands because they practiced some form of martial arts. This myth has been circulating for years and there was never an instance of this being true just like a lot of fun myths.
1597370156870.jpeg

Only myth I know of........

Back