testtest

Self evaluation

Remember this motto:

IMG_1757.jpeg

As noted, start at say 5 and work until you can consistently hit, then try 10, 15, and 25. To get proficient you WIL have to shoot-a lot. There is no substitute for actual practice. Also, shooting is a perishable skill. I don’t care how good you are today. Stick your pistol in the box and don’t shoot for months and you skills WILL deteriorate. If you can consistently hit at 20-25 yards, those 5 and 10 yard shots will be easy.

1)Proper Technique then accuracy

2)Accuracy then speed
3)Speed with accuracy

Everyone will be different on how long it takes from 1 to get to 3 .

Start at 5 yards, then 10 then 25
Master that

Then go speed.. 5-10-25

Then work on getting that accuracy from slow and deliberate to fast and second nature

Go at your pace
Dont advance till you master each stage
One more tip Barnett…
I was taught that when starting out, “slow builds smooth…Smooth builds speed”.

FWIW 😉
This advice from these guys has been helping me a lot. You also might want to supplement live fire training with dry fire. I use Mantis as often as I can, and MantisX, while not perfect by any stretch, can correct bad habits you don't even realize you have. MantisX can be used for live fire also. It helps IMHO.

This advice from these guys has been helping me a lot. You also might want to supplement live fire training with dry fire. I use Mantis as often as I can, and MantisX, while not perfect by any stretch, can correct bad habits you don't even realize you have. MantisX can be used for live fire also. It helps IMHO.
Yeah, I also use Mantis. It does help and combined with live-fire I see a nice progression in my ability.

Like Belladonna the MantisX has really helped me. For decades I've strived to shoot small groups on bullseye targets. I carry a handgun for personal defense and now train to have good combat accuracy from 3-15 yards. Shooting small groups is gratifying but bad guys don't have bullseyes on them. Just my opinion. Good luck to you.

Like Belladonna the MantisX has really helped me. For decades I've strived to shoot small groups on bullseye targets. I carry a handgun for personal defense and now train to have good combat accuracy from 3-15 yards. Shooting small groups is gratifying but bad guys don't have bullseyes on them. Just my opinion. Good luck to you.
Yeah...my way of thinking these days is, if I want to punch a big hole in something, a shotgun would be the appropriate tool ;).

If you want to get “proficient” you need to train regularly, get competent instruction, and decide what proficient means to you right now. Believe me, that standard will change constantly. Personally I’ve always found 5 and 7 yds a waste of time, they’re too close and too easy and for me never provided enough of a challenge. I work 10, 15 and 25 yds, and yes 4 in groups at 25yds are hard but not a mythic event, The key is to always be training, but make sure you are having fun. As with anything you will feel yourself improve and then you’ll take a step up and guess what? It will get hard again, but with time you’ll get on top of each hurdle. Enjoy the journey, it’s different for everyone.

If you want to get “proficient” you need to train regularly, get competent instruction, and decide what proficient means to you right now. Believe me, that standard will change constantly. Personally I’ve always found 5 and 7 yds a waste of time, they’re too close and too easy and for me never provided enough of a challenge. I work 10, 15 and 25 yds, and yes 4 in groups at 25yds are hard but not a mythic event, The key is to always be training, but make sure you are having fun. As with anything you will feel yourself improve and then you’ll take a step up and guess what? It will get hard again, but with time you’ll get on top of each hurdle. Enjoy the journey, it’s different for everyone.
I cannot argue with what what makes one happy. OTOH, I can't think of too many other pursuits that cost as much as 4" groups at 25 yards. Years of training and practice, thousands on ammo. I'm ok with you making that investment. Me, not so much.

I cannot argue with what what makes one happy. OTOH, I can't think of too many other pursuits that cost as much as 4" groups at 25 yards. Years of training and practice, thousands on ammo. I'm ok with you making that investment. Me, not so much.

Get a decent .22; Browning Buckmark, Ruger Mk whatever…

It’ll still take a couple thousand rounds, but burning a couple hundred in a session is a lot less painful.

Start at 10 feet; make a ragged hole.

Go to 15.

Go to 20.

Go to 30.

Go to 50.

Go to 75 (25 yards).

The 10-20 feet take the most time; after that, it goes quick, because you’ve got your fundamentals—grip, sight picture, trigger press—down.

But once you have it…you’ve got it. Sure, if you don’t shoot for a while, it’ll loosen up…but after a 100 or so rounds with that .22, they come back quick.

And it is VERY applicable to larger calibers, or a different platform.

I tend to spend a couple days every year with my Buckmark or S&W 617 and a brick of ammo. Switch up at the end of the day to a larger caliber, and have no problem ringing a 6” gong at 25 yards consistently…if I’m running something with a dot sight, it’s almost like cheating.

It’s not that hard. Just do the work.

Sorry man, i don't have the time. I will rely on my ability to hit what I can hit when needed. I just know that hitting bullseyes from 25 yards is not my concern. If that is your goal, all power to you. I am comfortable with my inability to hit 4" groups at 25 yards (with a pistol). And that will never be my goal.

Sorry man, i don't have the time. I will rely on my ability to hit what I can hit when needed. I just know that hitting bullseyes from 25 yards is not my concern. If that is your goal, all power to you. I am comfortable with my inability to hit 4" groups at 25 yards (with a pistol). And that will never be my goal.
very reasonable Jfal. We do what we can with what we have. Not everyone can be at the range 5 days a week. Family, jobs etc.

As one of the guys noted, a decent .22 as an understudy ( preferably same operating system/grip) enables a lot of shooting for minimal $$. My CZ Shadow 2 has a Kadet kit (.22 conversion) that works extremely well. Also a little Browning 1911 .22 is a great understudy to my EMP. Practice IS the key to competence. If you are serious about using a handgun you need to develop AND maintain your skill set. That is FAR more important than caliber and cost of whatever you shoot. If you can consistently hit at 20 or 25 yards, 5 yard shots are easy. If you struggle at 5 at the range there’s no way you’ll hit at 10 or 15 (or maybe even at 5) when the adrenaline is pumping.

As one of the guys noted, a decent .22 as an understudy ( preferably same operating system/grip) enables a lot of shooting for minimal $$. My CZ Shadow 2 has a Kadet kit (.22 conversion) that works extremely well. Also a little Browning 1911 .22 is a great understudy to my EMP. Practice IS the key to competence. If you are serious about using a handgun you need to develop AND maintain your skill set. That is FAR more important than caliber and cost of whatever you shoot. If you can consistently hit at 20 or 25 yards, 5 yard shots are easy. If you struggle at 5 at the range there’s no way you’ll hit at 10 or 15 (or maybe even at 5) when the adrenaline is pumping.
^^^^ this. Good commment. None of us are born experienced, but we can all progress with work, help and patience. Sometimes bring experienced friends with you to train. Their eyes can maybe see what you cannot. Helping others is the path to divinity.

Being able to shoot 4" groups at 25 yards is impressive. Bullseye shooters routinely shoot 3" to 5" groups strong hand only on 50 yard slow fire targets and much smaller on 25 yard timed & rapid fire targets.

I personally know two folks who got concerned over the craziness a couple years ago. I taught them to shoot and the became pretty good-BUT neither has now fired a round in a year. I doubt seriously if either could score a first or second round hit on a medium size plate at 5 yards today. Owning and having fired a handgun in the past no more prepares you to use one in an emergency than owning a guitar makes you a musician.

Back