testtest

Sherman Tanks of the Israeli Army

It's easy to believe. IIRC, the 105 was a low velocity gun firing a HEAT round which does not depend on high velocity kinetic energy round to penetrate armor. However, a gun like that mounted on a Sherman would probably rattle your teeth. I was on Sheridans with a low velocity 152mm gun firing a big a** HEAT round and it would knock your socks off.
Never saw a Sheridan but did hear some negative stories about mechanical breakdowns & lack of crew protection . I bet that big HEAT round did make a boom. I remember shooting 105mm APDS on ranges in Germany. The recoil would lift two of the front road wheels off the ground & very loud. Using it's tracer for adjustment was not easy at around 4800 FPS plus the dust and dirt thrown up. If I'm not mistaken our 105 HEAT rounds ran at 3600 FPS to aid in shooting moving targets.

Never saw a Sheridan but did hear some negative stories about mechanical breakdowns & lack of crew protection . I bet that big HEAT round did make a boom. I remember shooting 105mm APDS on ranges in Germany. The recoil would lift two of the front road wheels off the ground & very loud. Using it's tracer for adjustment was not easy at around 4800 FPS plus the dust and dirt thrown up. If I'm not mistaken our 105 HEAT rounds ran at 3600 FPS to aid in shooting moving targets.
I had a love-hate relationship with the Sheridan. Lack of crew protection was a given since it was an armored reconnaissance/airborne assault vehicle (see the earlier post on Sheridans in Desert Shield/Storm). Automotively, it was terrific and could move like a bat out of hell. Over rough terrain the Christie suspension system could do wonders and not throw a track. The mechanical issues were in the turret primarily. It was for its day a sophisticated and sensitive weapons system which did not have an equally sophisticated power generation system from the alternator and voltage regulator. An all electric drive turret is OK; I think the Centurion has/had one, but you need the proper electrical system to support it.

I have a buddy at work that was a Sheridan crewman, he went to war in the in thing during Desert Sheild/ Desert Storm, he's told me the worst part was the air drops with it.

I had a love-hate relationship with the Sheridan. Lack of crew protection was a given since it was an armored reconnaissance/airborne assault vehicle (see the earlier post on Sheridans in Desert Shield/Storm). Automotively, it was terrific and could move like a bat out of hell. Over rough terrain the Christie suspension system could do wonders and not throw a track. The mechanical issues were in the turret primarily. It was for its day a sophisticated and sensitive weapons system which did not have an equally sophisticated power generation system from the alternator and voltage regulator. An all electric drive turret is OK; I think the Centurion has/had one, but you need the proper electrical system to support it.
It seems like I remember the Sheridan could also fire a missile through that big 152mm gun.

Apparently this round was highly effective...

1703641455114.png

The M625 canister round was intended primarily for antipersonnel use at close range. The cartridge was loaded with 10000 13 grain steel flechettes and was very effective at cutting large swathes of jungle foliage. The official designation was the antipersonnel-tracer (APERS-T) round.

Last edited:
I left Germany in early December 67 for Vietnam. At that time the latest M-60 variant was the A1. It had the heavily sloped turret. I don't doubt this feature was to help deflect incoming rounds but to me it was ugly. Did the A2 have the same turret?

I left Germany in early December 67 for Vietnam. At that time the latest M-60 variant was the A1. It had the heavily sloped turret. I don't doubt this feature was to help deflect incoming rounds but to me it was ugly. Did the A2 have the same turret?
Same 152mm but a different turret.

The M60A2 "experiment" really didn't work out well.

1703641845223.png

Wow, that's an ugly rascal. It appears to have the same hull design as the A1 and probably the same drive train. The search light mount looks like it would be a pain in the butt. I guess the hatch behind the light was the loaders, would have been a real bitch to do much observing. Thanks for the info & pics.

Wow, that's an ugly rascal. It appears to have the same hull design as the A1 and probably the same drive train. The search light mount looks like it would be a pain in the butt. I guess the hatch behind the light was the loaders, would have been a real bitch to do much observing. Thanks for the info & pics.
Same chassis/hull as the others.

They dumped the A2 turrets & used the hulls for more A3's, bridge-layers & recovery rigs.

@Bassbob would probably like to have a surplus M551 or M60A2 152mm turret to use those M625 canister rounds to defend the homestead from any herd of Zombies that could come out of St. Louis, since he's a shotgun guy. ;)
There's a place in Kansas I could buy a tank right now. Last I checked it was about 30k and had a decommissioned gun.

Same 152mm but a different turret.

The M60A2 "experiment" really didn't work out well.

View attachment 49492
The A2 was a hastily developed beast. A family member was a warrant officer maintenance tech up in the tank plant at Warren, MI and said it was just a haphazard process. Add this box, do this adjustment, take this off, etc. Ultimately, the A2s in Germany were formed into tank destroyer battalions usually one per division. The entire gun/missile combo thing never did work out. The NATO MBT-70, which used the same concept, never got off the ground beyond a few prototypes thank goodness. The US and Germany both walked away and went their separate ways, sort of. Today's Abrams tanks do have an international aspect. British armor; German main gun; US engine, commo gear, and heavy MG; Belgian medium coax and loaders MGs.

At about the same time in the late 70s, units started receiving the M60A1 RISE/Passive. These incorporated lessons learned from the '73 war. Reliability improved selective components (RISE), passive night vision optics, an added belt of armor around the turret among other improvements. Great tank IMO until the M60A3 came along.

Apparently this round was highly effective...

View attachment 49490

The M625 canister round was intended primarily for antipersonnel use at close range. The cartridge was loaded with 10000 13 grain steel flechettes and was very effective at cutting large swathes of jungle foliage. The official designation was the antipersonnel-tracer (APERS-T) round.
Armd Cav units in VN with Sheridans had high praise for these rounds. I never did fire these, just plenty of the HE and HEAT and one Shillelagh.

1967 Six-Day

View attachment 49369
Beside numerous artillery pieces, the Syrians deployed dug in WWII era Pz.Kpfw IV tanks on the Golan Heights.
On one occasion, a Pz.Kpfw IV was knocked out at long range with only its turret being visible.
The Six Day War - The Golan Heights Offensive

from: https://tanks-encyclopedia.com/coldwar/israel/m51_sherman.php

An hour after Arye Biro’s attack, the 1st Israeli Golani Infantry Brigade climbed the same road and attacked the Tel Azzaziat and Tel Fakhr emplacements that had hitherto hit the Israeli villages.

Tel Azzaziat was an isolated mound 140 m above the border. There, four Syrian Panzerkampfwagen IV tanks in a fixed position delivered an ongoing fusillade into the Israeli plain below.

The Tank Company of the 8th Armored Brigade, equipped with M-50s and M-51s, and the Mechanized Infantry Company of the 51st Battalion, equipped with M3 half-tracks, attacked this position. They quickly managed to silence the cannons of the Syrian Panzers. In doing so, and 22 years after the end of the Second World War, Shermans and Panzer IVs were fighting each other once again, albeit in a very different context.

...On the Golan Heights, the M-51s, with their powerful 105 mm cannons, had no difficulty handling the Syrian T-34-85s and the last (ex-WW2 German) Panzer IVs.

Armd Cav units in VN with Sheridans had high praise for these rounds. I never did fire these, just plenty of the HE and HEAT and one Shillelagh.
I heard good & bad stories about them. Never saw one in Chu Chi or Phu Bai areas. I bet those 152mm HE & HEAT rounds caused some major damage. I don't imagine they had very high velocity but I guess they didn't need it for static targets. Know little to nothing on the Shillelagh rounds. Our M-48 A3's we had canister & beehive rounds. I think the canister round had a little over 1800 ob-long sub-projectiles, while our Beehive had around 3000 flechcetts (sp). Both of these rounds left the barrel at around 2800 fps. Both were very effective.

Back