testtest

Shotguns and Heat Shields in 2023

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
So we are all clear, a heat shield is an accessory that’s placed on the barrel of a shotgun. It’s often metal, but polymer ones exist, and in the past, wood ones also existed. The idea is that it will protect your hand from any accidental burns when it brushes the barrel.

Shotguns and Heat Shields in 2023

12841.jpg

Let's just cut to the chase. Spoiler Alert: I agree with his conclusion.

Heat shields are just decorations. I’m not hating on that fact. I own a Mossberg 590A1 Retrograde, and it has a heat shield, but it’s just a decoration for an old-school throwback of a shotgun. Your home defense shotgun doesn’t need a heat shield. I liken it to the battle-worn finishes that were all the rage a few years ago.

It looks neat but ultimately just adds useless weight to your weapon and separates you from a few dollars.

If you want to go really old school put a bayonet lug and a 17" M1917 bayonet on there with your barrel guard, and treat home invaders to a WWI style bayonet charge. Very dramatic, and effective, but the police will look askance at you during the follow up. I can hear the cops now. "Gee, couldn't you just shoot him?"

Let's just cut to the chase. Spoiler Alert: I agree with his conclusion.
Yeah, it's like only carrying 3 rounds and not having sights on your gun because most gunfights fall into the rule of 3s. I'm not saying they are a must have on a shotgun, but they serve a purpose. And trust me, I have burned the hell out of myself on a shotgun barrel many, MANY times. If I'm cleaning a shotgun I am going to make it worth the trouble. And I shoot them a lot.

If you want to go really old school put a bayonet lug and a 17" M1917 bayonet on there with your barrel guard, and treat home invaders to a WWI style bayonet charge. Very dramatic, and effective, but the police will look askance at you during the follow up. I can hear the cops now. "Gee, couldn't you just shoot him?"
Hmmm…. Need to see if this will fit on my Mossberg Security 88 😁😎😂

987DDD9F-1479-4ED6-B3A6-EDB89F0BAF26.jpeg

Back