testtest

Sig Sues Springfield over Hellcat

Good grief. Maybe they have a case , maybe not. Either way it’s sour grapes. They got upped and have sand in their eyes. Hey Sig , how about taking ownership on more pressing issues. Like the safety of your products.
😐
Hold on.

IF they have a case, it's not sour grapes--if Springfield did infringe on their patent, then they are owed reparations; otherwise, what's the point of a patent?

sig-sauer-files-p365-magazine-patent-infringement-case-against-springfield

I was wondering if this was going to happen...Sig did protect their magazine design pretty heavily.
Thanks for posting Hans,
Looking at typical magazine design of only feeding one individual round at the upper end of a magazine into almost any firearm isn't exactly new? If then, all magazines may be guilty of infringing on original design then? Are all variations magazines patented including first one produced? Then, if looking at Sig-Sauers individual patent, does it specify how many rounds in their magazine? - Many to most patents are over ridden and discarded because of slight variations of original patent by fastener placement, capacity or other variations of original patent.

There are also "scallywags" who prey on others patents at or near the patent office with the intentions of doing only that and profiting off others hard work. Proving it is sometimes another whole story?

Unfortunately, preying on others patents isn't really morally right or original. It is however an eyeopener on how many products aren't patented because of basically theft of their original ideas from patent office. Those unpatented products are generally rushed into the market place in mass surges for originator to collect their compensation before others glean their ideas. Or, they sit on their ideas until the time is ripe for their release into the general market place. Likely twice as many patents aren't applied for or filed because of it? In some ways, filing for patents have become a scam in a sense and in effect beating the very system for the very reasons they were implemented and intended to protect whatever product? Sadly, the patent office may be sort of like a shopping mall for innovation?

An off the wall slightly related bit of info: Heard Albert Einstein once worked at the patent office.

Hold on.

IF they have a case, it's not sour grapes--if Springfield did infringe on their patent, then they are owed reparations; otherwise, what's the point of a patent?
Touché. There is a difference is having a case and winning a case . I think this more about causing financial damage and lining the pockets of a few lawyers than what they think is their intellectual property.

We'll see what happens in court. But the article states that the Sig patent wasn't granted until March 30, 2021. The Hellcat was out LONG before that. I'm no lawyer, but seems to me you can't infringe on a patent that didn't exist when the product came out...

We'll see what happens in court. But the article states that the Sig patent wasn't granted until March 30, 2021. The Hellcat was out LONG before that. I'm no lawyer, but seems to me you can't infringe on a patent that didn't exist when the product came out...
Unless the patent was Filed long before with the patent office and Patent Office delayed the approval. Think pandemic ??

Unless the patent was Filed long before with the patent office and Patent Office delayed the approval. Think pandemic ??
Yea, but I don’t think the date you first submitted it means anything, its the date it was approved right, so if you go by the date March 30, 2021, Springfield already had there gun out, so, to me, no patient issues, my opinion.

My Ruger P85 had a similar yet larger magazine way back when. I can't see how Sig can say they invented double to single style of magazine. Many in the past I'm sure just didn't apply for a patent. Are they (Sig)now also going to go after the new S&W plus style of magazine?

Unless there is something I'm missing.

Thanks for posting Hans,
Looking at typical magazine design of only feeding one individual round at the upper end of a magazine into almost any firearm isn't exactly new? If then, all magazines may be guilty of infringing on original design then? Are all variations magazines patented including first one produced? Then, if looking at Sig-Sauers individual patent, does it specify how many rounds in their magazine? - Many to most patents are over ridden and discarded because of slight variations of original patent by fastener placement, capacity or other variations of original patent.

There are also "scallywags" who prey on others patents at or near the patent office with the intentions of doing only that and profiting off others hard work. Proving it is sometimes another whole story?

Unfortunately, preying on others patents isn't really morally right or original. It is however an eyeopener on how many products aren't patented because of basically theft of their original ideas from patent office. Those unpatented products are generally rushed into the market place in mass surges for originator to collect their compensation before others glean their ideas. Or, they sit on their ideas until the time is ripe for their release into the general market place. Likely twice as many patents aren't applied for or filed because of it? In some ways, filing for patents have become a scam in a sense and in effect beating the very system for the very reasons they were implemented and intended to protect whatever product? Sadly, the patent office may be sort of like a shopping mall for innovation?

An off the wall slightly related bit of info: Heard Albert Einstein once worked at the patent office.
When I first saw the P365 magazine design, I thought it was only innovative in the fact that the design was more exaggerated than other designs. Frankly, I was not overly impressed. I saw it as a natural progression of current designs. Many magazines, high capacity or not, feed from a staggered box into a central feed lip arrangement.
Are they going to sue Taurus or Ruger or multiple others next?
Perhaps they chose SA because they believed the corporation did not have the deep pockets to fight it out?

I believe SIG is going to have a hard row to hoe on this one.

When I first saw the P365 magazine design, I thought it was only innovative in the fact that the design was more exaggerated than other designs. Frankly, I was not overly impressed. I saw it as a natural progression of current designs. Many magazines, high capacity or not, feed from a staggered box into a central feed lip arrangement.
Are they going to sue Taurus or Ruger or multiple others next?
Perhaps they chose SA because they believed the corporation did not have the deep pockets to fight it out?

I believe SIG is going to have a hard row to hoe on this one.
Or because SA is the biggest competition. I'm sure the Hellcat took a lot of sales away from the P365. Taurus or Ruger, not so much...

On the subject of double stack magazines I think of my Browning HiPower. I had always heard it was the first to use a double stack magazine. And I find it very amusing my Hellcat holds the same number of rounds.

Let’s face it, when the P365 came out one of the biggest innovations touted by almost everyone was the double stack in a single stack magazine. And while Patent Pending does not provide you any legal coverage at the time, it does mean that you have applied for a patent and competitors copy your design at their risk. I think Sig is probably in pretty good shape. But what do I know, I’m not a lawyer, but I did stay at a holiday in.

As a side note, in the 80s a British gentleman by the name of James Dyson peddled his new dangled invention - the cyclonic vacuum cleaner - to all and sundry but could not get anyone to invest in his company. What did happen though is that several well known companies decided to copy his invention and with the money he received by suing them finally launched his own very successful business Dyson Ltd.

Back