testtest

Socom 16 Scout Base

I have a Socom 16 with the scout base. I have a Burris 2-7 Scout scope mounted to the base with Warne low quick detachable rings. With the scope elevation dial maxed out in the down position the rifle still shoots 2 1/2 inches high at 50 yards. There are two set screws in the middle of the base which allow some adjustment to cant the scope base up or down but not enough to make any discernable difference in point of impact. What are my options?

I have a Socom 16 with the scout base. I have a Burris 2-7 Scout scope mounted to the base with Warne low quick detachable rings. With the scope elevation dial maxed out in the down position the rifle still shoots 2 1/2 inches high at 50 yards. There are two set screws in the middle of the base which allow some adjustment to cant the scope base up or down but not enough to make any discernable difference in point of impact. What are my options?
Is it a 20moa base?

Yes, This actually is my son's gun and scope. He bought both new and could not sight it in. I took it to the range this morning and confirmed it. I have seen another case on a You Tube video where the guy had the same problem. He used Burris signature rings to solve the problem. I think that is a mickey mouse fix. I'm not a fan of their rings.

I have contacted Springfield Armory to see if the base could be 20 MOA. This rifle is as it came from the factory and it seems odd to me that it would come with a 20 MOA base. It also doesn't help that the scope is a Burris. They have a small range of adjustment. Thanks for everyone's input.

Is there anything in the paperwork that indicates it can be set for a range that short? Or is it specifically designed for longer range use?

50 yds is a pretty common .308 zeroing distance...it also puts you on at 200yds.

And I just can’t see a 20MOA base on a 16” barreled SOCOM...that’s a base designed for long distance shooting, and the platform isn’t really designed for that so much.

Website doesn't indicate a 20 moa. Move the scope as close to the rifle as possible, as for more room between the scope and rifle can be the issue.

Here's a suggestion! If you know it's shooting @ 2.5" high then don't adjust, just remember the number! As Hans had stated there will be 2 points of intersection! 1 going up and the other coning down. A natural arch.

I have fixed the problem. I shimmed the front of the scope base with brass shim material to a thickness of .012". This is more than enough and will allow me to adjust the scope to the middle of the adjustment range which is the ideal spot for clarity and lack of glare. Thanks for everybody's help.

Back