testtest

Springfield 911 380 feed failure

I recently purchased a 911 380 appears to have had very few rounds fired threw it guy said it was a safe queen at gun shop where I purchased.It has all the know malfunctions Failure to feed and erratic brass ejection from going over my head to straight out in front.
So I was able to register it under Springfield web page ….
Question: #1 Is it possible the original owner never registered the warranty ?
#2 If not would I be covered under warranty ?
#3 Does anyone have a remedy to correct what appears to have been a common problem with the 911.
Thank You
Firefighter Retired
Veteren

Last edited:
Best bet would be to get in touch with Springfield customer service for your answers. I believe calling is faster than emails.

Worst case, they have been around long enough that i hope fixes to most issues have been identified and a good gunsmith can correct them. Good luck

Last edited:
Best bet would be to get in touch with Springfield customer service for your answers. I believe calling is faster than emails.

Worst case, they have been around long enough that i hope fixes to most issues have been identified and a good gunsmith can correct them. Good luck
If you do that, they’ll likely offer to swap it for a current production pistol.

I don’t think the 911 is supported anymore.

OP: Unfortunately, this is not uncommon with the 911. I suspect it was one of the reasons it was discontinued.

You may be better off getting a Sig 238 or a Kimber Micro.

If you do that, they’ll likely offer to swap it for a current production pistol.

OP: Unfortunately, this is not uncommon with the 911. I suspect it was one of the reasons it was discontinued.

Agreed I doubt it is supported either. But he has specific questions that only springfield can answer. And honestly, if they do as you suggest they might do, and offer some type of swap, that might be the best solution of all. At least at that point he has a working pistol, which worst case he can sell towards getting one of the models you mentioned.

As it stands he has a non functioning pistol, with a poor reputation, that probably has a short list of potential buyers without some type of gunsmithing and can be proven functional.

With or without a warranty, there is a good chance they could fix it. If you need parts, that may be an issue.
I have one and it has worked just fine.
Since the 911 is basically a copy of the Sig and Kimber Micro, they may be able to use those resources for parts, but there will be a lot of fitting more then likely

Unfortunately you now know why it was a safe queen. I would call Springfield to see if they could do anything for it. At this point I would not spend a lot of money on it to make it reliable. Maybe the LGS that sold it to you might make it right towards a swap.

I'm positive this is why they were discontinued. My guess is sales weren't brisk enough to justify redesigning around the inherent flaws or some such. There were an awful lot of unhappy people with those guns.

A buddy of mine at work bought one and he loved it. Claimed he had no issues with it. When I got my hands on his it looked like it hadn't been fired very much. I managed, through typical shooting, to induce a number of failures. Simply put he probably casually put a box or two of ball through it and called it a success. Mixing up the ammo with various HPs and ball and giving the little bastard a real workout was all it took to expose it's shortcomings. I felt bad about it but dumbass didn't need to be carrying the thing around like that.

Ona positive note, I believe a smith was able to smooth things out for him, but I really don't know how much trigger time he has on it after that.

Browning 1911 .380 for the win
One of my favorite pistols.

20210530_130407.jpg

Not exactly, the Colt was a mini 1911, the 911, Sig and Kimber look like a mini 1911, but there not, totally different designs, but in reality, they kinda copied the Colt
The Colt Mustang wasn’t a mini 1911; no grip safety.

Sig copied it to bring out the 238; then Colt brought the Mustang back (as the Pocketlite, and polymer frame XSP), followed by Kimber, and finally Springfield…Colt discontinued the Pocketlite series in 2020.

The Colt Mustang wasn’t a mini 1911; no grip safety.

Sig copied it to bring out the 238; then Colt brought the Mustang back (as the Pocketlite, and polymer frame XSP), followed by Kimber, and finally Springfield…Colt discontinued the Pocketlite series in 2020.
My meaning was the 911 wasn’t a true copy of the Colt 1911…….but somewhat close in visual…..hence my term a mini 1911…….
1720187887500.jpeg

This is the Colt I was referring to, not the Mustang as a 1911, I never owned the Mustang, but I did own the .380 Govt model and the Kimber Micro, the 911, Sig and Kimber are basically the same

Last edited:
I have the original version of the 911, got it the first year they came out back in 2018, six years ago right about now.

Mine had an initial break-in period of about 300 rounds. My biggest problem was failure to completely go into battery after not that many rounds. Sometimes it would “almost” go into battery, just enough so that the trigger was allowed to trip the hammer, but because it wasn’t fully in battery, I would then get a light primer strike.

I was at my local indoor range and described my issues to one of the guys who ran the range. He asked me what I was cleaning it with; I replied solvent for the bore and CLP for everything else. He said that was my mistake. He advised me to use Birchwood Casey “Gun Scrubber” on the slide instead of CLP, because he said that those oil-based cleaners gum up the works in a pistol like the 911 with its very tight mechanical tolerances.

So, I took his advice. The only place I now use CLP on the slide is on the grooves that interface with the rails on the frame, and a very light coat on the center rear part of the slide along which the top of the hammer drags while cycling. Otherwise I just clean up the slide with Gun Scrubber, using a plastic gun cleaning brush, Q-tips, and patches.

Using Gun Scrubber on the slide in place of CLP solved my problems. After that, I have put somewhere around 2000 rounds on that pistol, and I virtually never have a malfunction of any kind that is not due to bad ammo (e.g., a dud primer). I clean it every 100 rounds as it’s tight construction requires that, but as long as I maintain that maintenance protocol, it is extremely reliable. Just last week I put 100 rounds through it at the range, once again with no issues. Over the years I’ve fed it Winchester White Box FNFMJs, Browning FNFMJs, Federal FMJs, Norma FMJs, Winchester JHPs, Federal JHPs, and Precision One JHPs…all without any problems.

It’s a shame the 911 was discontinued, as I consider it among the very best .380 carry guns ever made. I’m glad I got mine new when it was available as such.

I think it was discontinued not because it was a bad product, but for two other reasons.

First, the all metal “shrunken 1911”-style .380 is hardly produced by anyone anymore. Colt discontinued the Pocketlite, and if I’m not mistaken, I think Sig discontinued the P238 as well. It’s a great concept but with the more modern micro nines and .380s out there, people just don’t seem to be interested in this type of pistol anymore. Perhaps it just seems archaic to a lot of people, such that it doesn’t make business sense to keep it in production just from the point of view of current market trends.

Second, there were a number of YouTube videos highlighting the reliability issues with the 911, and I’m sure that didn’t help with sales. Along with this, I think the core problem here, that likely explained what these YouTubers were experiencing, was that, like me at first, they didn’t know how to clean their 911s properly. It’s a terrific little pistol if you know how to take care of it, but if you don’t…

The one the OP has might be a lemon, and it might need some work. I would hope and expect that Springfield Armory customer support can make it right. I really like mine, and I say it’s worth a try.

Back