testtest

Springfield Prodigy 4.25 DS optic screws fix

I think I've stepped on someone's toes. I guess some people think just because they say it, millions of others are wrong. :cool:
My toes are fine. As I pointed out in the other post, we have had this discussion, VERY in depth, here more than a few times. It wasn’t a dig at you new guy.

And it’s not just because I say it.

Whatever did we do before 1956 when Loc-Tite was invented ? 🤣🤣🤣

Not to beat this dead horse some more, okay, I’m gonna beat the dead horse some more. I put witness marks on every single optic I’ve ever installed. I think we can all agree that while the Romeo 5 is near the top of the heap as far as low end, cheap red dots are concerned, it’s still far from what anyone would consider a high quality optic. I and many others can personally attest that the screws that come with it are pretty crappy. Several years ago I put a Romeo 5 on a KSG25 12 gauge shotgun. This is a pump action shotgun that will punish your shoulder mercilessly with massive felt recoil anytime you load it with anything hotter than field loads. When zero’ing this optic I used 2 3/4” Federal Truball slugs ( 1300fps). After 6 rounds I really didn’t want to shoot this bastard again. And it’s not as if I’m shy or new to shotguns with hot, magnum loads.

Anyway, cheap ass Chinese screw installed with no LocTite, check. Over 2500 rounds since, mostly slugs, 00B, #1 and #4, check. Witness marks just where I put them and optic still zero’ed, check.

I have a total of about 10-12 dots between shotguns, ARs and handguns. I shoot most of these guns very often. I use a Chinese Wheeler torque driver and no LocTite. Never had one come loose.

I’m confident in making the claim that your 9mm faux 1911 isn’t going to shake off a quality optic, installed to proper torque specs, with no thread locker. If it does you have other issues going on.

That said, if you use blue or purple LocTite and properly torque the screws, accounting for the fact that you have lubricated that screw with liquid, you should have no problem removing that screw provided you use a well fitting, hardened Torx driver and not a Chinese Torx bit in a universal driver. And if it brings you peace of mind it’s a win. Right ?

I’ve not really had any issues with pistol optics coming loose. I have had a problem with my Prodigy optic plate coming loose a couple of times. I’ve also had issues with screws not coming out because Loctite and I only ever use Blue Loctite on my optics. I torque all my screws properly and that seems to do the job.

To @Bassbob ’s earlier comment on the Masada, I’m surprised that the Masada is as underrated as it is. I have bought the full caffeine version twice and I believe they may have been the one of the first to provide plates for every major optic footprint along with all the correct screws for same. The gun is very nice looking and shoots very well, not to mention it has a surprisingly light trigger straight out of the box. Oh, and also has adjustable grips. I picked my second one up for $390. At that price there’s almost no reason not to own one.

For optics mounting systems, my favorite is my FN545. It also comes with everything you need to direct mount every major footprint, comes with all the correct screws and is a thread locker free system. I would like to see all pistols adopt a similar system.

Not to beat this dead horse some more, okay, I’m gonna beat the dead horse some more. I put witness marks on every single optic I’ve ever installed. I think we can all agree that while the Romeo 5 is near the top of the heap as far as low end, cheap red dots are concerned, it’s still far from what anyone would consider a high quality optic. I and many others can personally attest that the screws that come with it are pretty crappy. Several years ago I put a Romeo 5 on a KSG25 12 gauge shotgun. This is a pump action shotgun that will punish your shoulder mercilessly with massive felt recoil anytime you load it with anything hotter than field loads. When zero’ing this optic I used 2 3/4” Federal Truball slugs ( 1300fps). After 6 rounds I really didn’t want to shoot this bastard again. And it’s not as if I’m shy or new to shotguns with hot, magnum loads.

Anyway, cheap ass Chinese screw installed with no LocTite, check. Over 2500 rounds since, mostly slugs, 00B, #1 and #4, check. Witness marks just where I put them and optic still zero’ed, check.

I have a total of about 10-12 dots between shotguns, ARs and handguns. I shoot most of these guns very often. I use a Chinese Wheeler torque driver and no LocTite. Never had one come loose.

I’m confident in making the claim that your 9mm faux 1911 isn’t going to shake off a quality optic, installed to proper torque specs, with no thread locker. If it does you have other issues going on.

That said, if you use blue or purple LocTite and properly torque the screws, accounting for the fact that you have lubricated that screw with liquid, you should have no problem removing that screw provided you use a well fitting, hardened Torx driver and not a Chinese Torx bit in a universal driver. And if it brings you peace of mind it’s a win. Right ?
Absolutely. A win's a win. It's not a Fax 1911 because if it was a true 1911. If it was it would be 1911 or even as far back as 1890 when the model was began. It only went out to service in 1911 because of the date. So, in your eyes, no 1911 is a 1911 unless it is a 1911. Wow that made me dizzy. Again with your analogy, no pistol on the face of the earth other those in museums would be 1911. So I'm a bit insulted by the faux 1911. Do you own a 1911 from 1911?
I also have optics on just about everything that will take them including Ruger precision 6.5 Creedmoor, an AK 47, FNX TAC 45, a 10mm (apparently faux 1911). I guess you consider anything less that .50 cal desert Eagle as a BB gun (with the compass built in the stock).
I have more guns than you. I say this because you used that in your vetting yourself. Not sure how you consider a 2 3/4 Fed with slugs MASSIVE RECOIL. How do you put witness marks on the top Holosun screws to the plate?
Can we end this? You probably never been told you were wrong before so I'll just say, you do what you want to your stuff and be sure to put a bit of lye on that dead dog your petting.

1707491164126.gif

I certainly didn't intend to create an issue with an apparent long time member. So perhaps I can end this this better than Leonidas did with the emissary from Xerxes. Here's your small offering of a hand full of earth and a sip of water, so let's move on.

Absolutely. A win's a win. It's not a Fax 1911 because if it was a true 1911. If it was it would be 1911 or even as far back as 1890 when the model was began. It only went out to service in 1911 because of the date. So, in your eyes, no 1911 is a 1911 unless it is a 1911. Wow that made me dizzy. Again with your analogy, no pistol on the face of the earth other those in museums would be 1911. So I'm a bit insulted by the faux 1911. Do you own a 1911 from 1911?
I also have optics on just about everything that will take them including Ruger precision 6.5 Creedmoor, an AK 47, FNX TAC 45, a 10mm (apparently faux 1911). I guess you consider anything less that .50 cal desert Eagle as a BB gun (with the compass built in the stock).
I have more guns than you. I say this because you used that in your vetting yourself. Not sure how you consider a 2 3/4 Fed with slugs MASSIVE RECOIL. How do you put witness marks on the top Holosun screws to the plate?
Can we end this? You probably never been told you were wrong before so I'll just say, you do what you want to your stuff and be sure to put a bit of lye on that dead dog your petting.
Hmm. I never told anyone here how many guns I have. I mentioned how many dots I have. As in red/ green dot optics.

I have only one gun which relies on a plate to mount the optic to.

My comment about magnum loads was really more about the 3” stuff, but maybe I’m not as tough as you. Tell you what, get a KSG and shoot about 10 Federal Truball slugs through it. Then if your shoulder isn’t very uncomfortable I’ll concede. The F’in gun hits harder than every other shotgun I own and I own more than a few.

The 1911 comment is another long running theme here, which you wouldn’t know I suppose since you’ve been here all of a day and a half. Many people think 1911s are strictly .45 ACP or in rare examples .38 Super. I figure 9mm in a double stack 1911 platform should maybe be given its own designation. Some say 2011. Works for me.

I get told I’m wrong all the time. Mostly by Simon. Or my wife.

It’s a dead horse, not a dog.

As for the Spartan reference. All I can do is laugh.

THIS IS SPARTA !!!!

One of the coolest scenes in make believe land.

I’ve not really had any issues with pistol optics coming loose. I have had a problem with my Prodigy optic plate coming loose a couple of times. I’ve also had issues with screws not coming out because Loctite and I only ever use Blue Loctite on my optics. I torque all my screws properly and that seems to do the job.

To @Bassbob ’s earlier comment on the Masada, I’m surprised that the Masada is as underrated as it is. I have bought the full caffeine version twice and I believe they may have been the one of the first to provide plates for every major optic footprint along with all the correct screws for same. The gun is very nice looking and shoots very well, not to mention it has a surprisingly light trigger straight out of the box. Oh, and also has adjustable grips. I picked my second one up for $390. At that price there’s almost no reason not to own one.

For optics mounting systems, my favorite is my FN545. It also comes with everything you need to direct mount every major footprint, comes with all the correct screws and is a thread locker free system. I would like to see all pistols adopt a similar system.

Well, I know the new guy thinks I’m singling him out. A search of this topic here on the forum would show him I’m not. And to beat this dog a little more, I’ll mention that my opinion is mine and not intended to suggest anyone else’s is wrong. More than one well respected gunsmith I know and a very outspoken Boeing engineer I know are adamant in their disdain of thread locker. Even going as far as not allowing it in their shop. The bit about “ if you need LocTite you are using sub par screws, etc. is a direct quote from the Boeing dude.

Couple that with my real world testing of optics installed without thread locker and you come up with my opinion. Everyone else is of course free to do as they please. It’s a free-ish country.

Well, I know the new guy thinks I’m singling him out. A search of this topic here on the forum would show him I’m not. And to beat this dog a little more, I’ll mention that my opinion is mine and not intended to suggest anyone else’s is wrong. More than one well respected gunsmith I know and a very outspoken Boeing engineer I know are adamant in their disdain of thread locker. Even going as far as not allowing it in their shop. The bit about “ if you need LocTite you are using sub par screws, etc. is a direct quote from the Boeing dude.

Couple that with my real world testing of optics installed without thread locker and you come up with my opinion. Everyone else is of course free to do as they please. It’s a free-ish country.
Perhaps given Boeing’s latest incident they should be applying more Loctite.👨‍✈️🤪

C’mon down here and sit with the cool kids., you’ve done well.
Thank you my friend. I'll be still in my corner of the gym as self imposed penalty for not understanding how to shut up.
PS...This is not SPARTA, it's Iowa (from field of dreams. Ray talking to his Dad)

Back