testtest

Springfield Trapdoor

Greetings!

Have loosely been in the market for a Springfield Trapdoor. Never really put a ton of research time into, thought I will always get an opportunity to get around to it. Honestly in the past, not knowing the variants kept me from making purchases.

Got a call today with the offer to purchase a 1884 Trapdoor.

Pictures attached, and here is what I know.

It has an 1884 stamped trapdoor but from the serial number I think it is an 1887-1888. Partial on the serial: 394XXX. The stock also has 1887 armory stamp on it so I think it is more likely that the trapdoor was swapped at some point.

My concern is...is this a parts swapped gun and I am buying a grab bag of parts? Is it worth say around...$1450.00? What should I look at specifically before buying.

Usually I don't spend alot of time on indecision, but my lack of knowledge on the variants is messing me up.

SSP_6971.JPG
SSP_6972.JPG
SSP_6973.JPG
SSP_6974.JPG
SSP_6975.JPG

It looks like what you have pictured here is a Model 1884 built in 1887. What shape is the barrel in?

You can check here for more information about parts.

http://armscollectors.com/trapdoor/bb/viewforum.php?f=3

Check out Guns International for prices to give you an idea of what a comparable rifle goes for.

I haven't physically looked at the weapon yet. I intend to take a bore light and check it out tomorrow.
I always warn folks that are looking to get a Trapdoor Springfield to not shoot modern, jacketed ammo through it. The barrels on Trapdoor were made from a mild steel and jacketed ammo will wear out a barrel. Modern ammo may lead to pressure issues. This is a good discussion about ammo:

https://www.firearmstalk.com/threads/45-70-trapdoor-rifle-ammo.13822/#:~:text=As stated above MOST factory ammo is safe,well before anyone even thought of jacketed bullets.

I will occasionally shoot cowboy type ammo which uses lead bullets. I have bought ammo from Georgia Arms in the past to shoot in my Trapdoor and Model 1873 Winchester. Better to be safe than sorry and tear up your gun.

Back