testtest

Springfield XDM 10mm 4.5”

Well, almost took one of these home from my favorite gun shop this weekend. I’ve never actually shot a 10mm but I’ve been researching them heavily because the round has always interested me. The pistol felt great, nice slim grip and the 4.5 inch barrel seemed adequate for accuracy. I’ve heard the recoil is a bear on the 10mm. Anyone have any experience with shooting a 10mm? Any sweet spot combo as far as what grain ammo to make recoil manageable but still maintain good knock down power? Any info is appreciated.

Well, almost took one of these home from my favorite gun shop this weekend. I’ve never actually shot a 10mm but I’ve been researching them heavily because the round has always interested me. The pistol felt great, nice slim grip and the 4.5 inch barrel seemed adequate for accuracy. I’ve heard the recoil is a bear on the 10mm. Anyone have any experience with shooting a 10mm? Any sweet spot combo as far as what grain ammo to make recoil manageable but still maintain good knock down power? Any info is appreciated.
Just don't ask 10mm he wouldn't know? I have 3 10mm pistols 1 xdm 5 1/4", g20 and g40. Recoil is no bfd just a little more punch than the 40.

I had one of the original Colt Delta Elites when they came out, fun gun to shoot, I fired the original Norma ammo, which was kinda warm, but today, there’s a lot of great ammo choices out there. I personally like the 4.5 inch model, it’s like my XDm 4.5 in 9mm. I’m sure others here will be more helpful.

I may have shot a 10mm once or twice before so I may have some input on your XDM question.

The XDM is a great platform for the 10mm because for me the ergonomics of the pistol tend to reduce felt recoil to nothing more then a .45acp even when using a more powerful round then typical range ammo like Sig Elite pushing a 180gr bullet at 1250fps. I have shot all different brands of 10mm ammo in different guns, grains, and power levels and with that being I've never ran into a round that was too much recoil even while fast firing at the target.

The XDM 4.5 is one of my favorite 10s to shoot and the accuracy of the gun is actually pretty impressive for the low cost of the pistol with so many really nice features. Definitely worth the money!

When shooting at the range any 170-180gr cheaper range ammo like Armscor or Sellier & Bellot should suffice to give you minimal recoil as these rounds are moving typically around 1000fps which is a significantly reduced power round. With the more expensive ammo pushing up to 1400fps.

I carry Hornady 10mm 155gr XTP in my woods gun which is more then enough to take on any 2 or 4 legged predator in my neck of the woods.

I absolutely love my XDM 10 with the 5.25 barrel target sights. The recoil is actually less than my Springfield 1911 range officer target in 45. If you have any doubts check out this review/vid

I may have shot a 10mm once or twice before so I may have some input on your XDM question.

The XDM is a great platform for the 10mm because for me the ergonomics of the pistol tend to reduce felt recoil to nothing more then a .45acp even when using a more powerful round then typical range ammo like Sig Elite pushing a 180gr bullet at 1250fps. I have shot all different brands of 10mm ammo in different guns, grains, and power levels and with that being I've never ran into a round that was too much recoil even while fast firing at the target.

The XDM is one of my favorite 10s to shoot and the accuracy of the gun is actually pretty impressive for the low cost of the pistol with so many really nice features.

When shooting at the range any 170-180gr cheaper range ammo like Armscor or Sellier & Bellot should suffice to give you minimal recoil as these rounds are moving typically around 1000fps which is a significantly reduced power round. With the more expensive ammo pushing up to 1400fps.

I carry Hornady 10mm 155gr XTP in my woods gun which is more then enough to take on any 2 or 4 legged predator in my neck of the woods.
Thanks for the info. The XDM was very comfortable to hold, very ergonomic. I’ll be shopping around to see if I can find any deals the next few months. Thanks again.

Thanks for the info. The XDM was very comfortable to hold, very ergonomic. I’ll be shopping around to see if I can find any deals the next few months. Thanks again.
A few months ago I've seen them dip just under $500 at some stores. You will not be disappointed if you pick one up. Cheap range ammo for 10mm typically runs from $18-$20 a box and you can find the more powerful Sig elite between $20-24 a box.

Good luck on your future purchase we would like to hear your feedback if you get one. 😁👍

A few months ago I've seen them dip just under $500 at some stores. You will not be disappointed if you pick one up. Cheap range ammo for 10mm typically runs from $18-$20 a box and you can find the more powerful Sig elite between $20-24 a box.

Good luck on your future purchase we would like to hear your feedback if you get one. 😁👍
And some Buffalo Bore or Double Tap 10mm ammo, it's what the big boys shoot. :sneaky: :LOL:

I have a Delta Elite and a 1911 .45. The 10mm Delta with Sig ammo, which is pretty warm, has just barely more recoil than the .45. I did just get a XDm 10mm in 5.25 but I haven't been able to use it yet.

You bet. Thank you. If I do pick one up, I'm pretty sure it'll be the Springfield XDM 4.5". I'm very happy with my XD45 mod 2 4-inch so if it performs anything close to that handgun, I'd be more than willing to purchase another Springfield handgun, and like I said, the 10mm interests me, going all the way back to the Miami Vice days...lol. Always thought Don Johnson's twin 10mm handguns were the bomb...lol

You bet. Thank you. If I do pick one up, I'm pretty sure it'll be the Springfield XDM 4.5". I'm very happy with my XD45 mod 2 4-inch so if it performs anything close to that handgun, I'd be more than willing to purchase another Springfield handgun, and like I said, the 10mm interests me, going all the way back to the Miami Vice days...lol. Always thought Don Johnson's twin 10mm handguns were the bomb...lol
Like you, I'm also a fan of the 10mm, as are others on this site. I bought the SA XDM 10mm, but the 5.25" model. I own all the Glocks in 10mm (G20, G29 & G40 MOS w/Trijicon RMR), and the 10mm's: Ruger SR1911, Colt Delta Elite, and SA TRP 6". I shot the G40, and recoil wasn't much worse than shooting 40 cal. The Buffalo Bore hotter loads were a bit more recoil, but the G40 6" kept it to acceptable levels.

Like you, I'm also a fan of the 10mm, as are others on this site. I bought the SA XDM 10mm, but the 5.25" model. I own all the Glocks in 10mm (G20, G29 & G40 MOS w/Trijicon RMR), and the 10mm's: Ruger SR1911, Colt Delta Elite, and SA TRP 6". I shot the G40, and recoil wasn't much worse than shooting 40 cal. The Buffalo Bore hotter loads were a bit more recoil, but the G40 6" kept it to acceptable levels.
From what I've read and watched the 10mm has some serious punch when it hits a target, as much or more than a .45ACP apparently? I've noticed, on Youtube videos at least, that a 10mm tends to penetrate wood, cinder blocks, things of that nature a bit more thoroughly than a .45. I'm not knocking a .45 ACP mind you, it's my personal favorite round to shoot and carry, but the 10mm is definitely interesting to me. I may rent one the next time I go the range an buy a box of ammo just to see how one runs.

From what I've read and watched the 10mm has some serious punch when it hits a target, as much or more than a .45ACP apparently? I've noticed, on Youtube videos at least, that a 10mm tends to penetrate wood, cinder blocks, things of that nature a bit more thoroughly than a .45. I'm not knocking a .45 ACP mind you, it's my personal favorite round to shoot and carry, but the 10mm is definitely interesting to me. I may rent one the next time I go the range an buy a box of ammo just to see how one runs.
I've read some articles that indicated the hot loads that Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Underwood (I'm sure other manufactures as well), sells can get up to the 41 magnum level (other articels have mentioned 357 magnum level). I've also read that some re-loaders can approach 44 magnum levels. Others on here may have more info on this (or dispute it), having more knowledge than I, but that's what I've read. I was told by an apprentice Gun Smith, who loved the 10mm, that most common ammo on the market were just a bit hotter than 40 caliber rounds. He suggested the ammo manufacturers above to experience the true potential of the 10mm. I share on one thread that the Danish Greenland Patrol's, even carry 10MM pistols as their backup (they also carry rifles), if they encounter hostile Polar Bears.

I've read some articles that indicated the hot loads that Buffalo Bore, Double Tap, Underwood (I'm sure other manufactures as well), sells can get up to the 41 magnum level (other articels have mentioned 357 magnum level). I've also read that some re-loaders can approach 44 magnum levels. Others on here may have more info on this (or dispute it), having more knowledge than I, but that's what I've read. I was told by an apprentice Gun Smith, who loved the 10mm, that most common ammo on the market were just a bit hotter than 40 caliber rounds. He suggested the ammo manufacturers above to experience the true potential of the 10mm. I share on one thread that the Danish Greenland Patrol's, even carry 10MM pistols as their backup (they also carry rifles), if they encounter hostile Polar Bears.
Maybe some lite 44mag loads as for mine reach 1,300#s of muzzle energy from a 6" barrel. My g40 with a 6.61" barrel has about 850#s of energy.

Back