Emissary
Founding Member
Deleted

Attachments

• 1579633728965.jpeg
    1579633728965.jpeg
    15.5 KB · Views: 700
Last edited:
If memory serves, which it may not, this was an issue on early XD pistols and was fixed years ago. I thought it was fixed within a year or two of XD pistols being released.

I wrote to Springfield about this after reading some post about roll pins breaking from dry fire.
Their CYA response was not to dry fire,but one of their videos encourage dry firing so I guess you should use your own discretion..
I never dry fire any of my firearms.

Will it happen to any one individual XD/XDm that utilizes this design?

Not necessarily.

*_CAN_* it happen? Definitely.

The problem is that there's no real way to say, without pulling the pin and inspecting it for issues ( at which point we should really install only a new, un-used pin in its place, if we're playing this by-Hoyle ;) ).

And if it does fail, there's no telling if that particular instance of failure will result in a catastrophic shut-down (by that I mean that you'll have to come off the line, tear-down that area, and remediate), or if the gun will actually still continue to function as if nothing is awry. There's a number of documented cases of failures on XDTalk, with both results playing out.

This, specifically, was one which I remember:

^ Note the use of an aftermarket pin, with this particular thread's OP.

Myself?

If you're a detailed reader of the referenced thread cited above, you'll see that I had, in that thread, in-turn referenced to an August 2014 post I'd made on that same Forum. In that post, I noted that I replaced that pin with the PRP one on my XDm9 4.5-inch at around 18K rounds. I did the same with my carry 3.8 Compact at 8.5K rounds.

Both looked OK at the time of their change-out.

The 4.5-inch's was slightly bent, but there were no visible cracks to the naked eye - and I dry-fired that thing *a lot*, probably easily twice what I'd live-fired by then, so I'd conservatively say another 30K more times that the striker had been dropped?

Nothing was visibly wrong with the 3.8 Compact's.

The replacement took place at around 1 and 1/2 years of ownership of each of the guns. My 3.8 Compact was purchased new, while my 4.5-inch was bought from a friend second-hand, and he reported <700 rounds on it.

^ All of that was in that reference post.

Fast forward to today -

The 4.5-inch is now easily over 50K live-fire. I've pulled the pin a few times for cleanings during that span, but the gun certainly hasn't had any problems. And like I noted in that old post, because it's just my range-toy (I have another copy that I've vetted, reserved for HD use), I've re-used the PRP pin, and to-date, it hasn't been an issue.

I also have a dedicated range/training XDm9 3.8 Compact which also uses the PRP roll pin. It currently has approx. 24K rounds on it (you'll note a much softer round-count, all those years back: yes, I've been using this one a bit, too). No problems.

[ You'll see another post of my on XDTalk, which provides you with an interval between the old referenced post and my current round-counts on both of these guns: https://www.xdtalk.com/threads/firing-retaining-pin-preemptive-upgrade.289188/page-2#post-5123421 , dated May, 2016. ]

I see the PRP or other replacement roll-pin is cheap insurance. And carrying a few around in your range-bag, along with the appropriate punch, is a smart thing, too, if you're going to a big match or an away class.

Xdman, is there any place where I can see or download how to replace these pins? In an earlier post I mentioned my local gun shop is closing and I always used there gunsmith for my needs, but, there closing, but I did get a punch set and screwdrivers set there, he always inspected my XDm for me, so I got to do it myself now, any help would be greatly appreciated.

^ Ah, that, I unfortunately can't help with..... I know that there are programs which enable you to rip videos off of YouTube, but I'm honestly not familiar with them.

The good thing is that those vids have been on there for years. Given Springer Precision's longevity, it should be there for a good long time to come, yet.

Back