testtest

The General Purpose Handgun: One Concept to Consider

Revolvers are fantastic until you need more than 6 rounds and a speed load. Even the gadget to speedload a revolver quick, is nowhwre near as fast as dump a semi auto mag and slide a new one in.
My only negative comment on my various revolvers.

I love my old '52 Colt 4' .38. Stable, easy recoil, surprisingly accurate...but much larger for carry than my XD-s not just in height/length, but also width/thickness. LOVE my 0.8" thick XD-s for EDC!

If I were able to shoulder-rig on a regular basis, the Colt may get more use...but my daily garb lends itself more to IWB than anything else. If I started wearing a blazer/jacket...they'd look at me even stranger than they do now!

I learned on revolvers and I trust the ones I have.
I do have a few hi-cap plastic fantastics, now that S&W and Ruger make eight shot revolvers I would very much like to own one of them.

Semi-autos have always been my go-to carry and home-defense firearms, but there is always room for a good revolver in my rotation. I like to keep a revolver with a shrouded hammer in the outer pocket of my jacket during cold weather. I'll still have a semi-auto on me, but the revolver will be easier to access and can be fired from inside the pocket. Until the last few months, there have been so many quality firearms of different types available for less than $500 that I have never needed to find one "do everything" gun.

Agreed, but you cant tell me a mob of 20 folks coming at you wont make you pucker more than if you had a high capacity semi auto. Not pretty either way you slice it, but a revolver puts you at a distinct disadvantage

I gotta disagree with this mindset.

That mob of 20 folks isn’t a couple squads of SAS trained professionals that are going to ignore incoming gunfire & casualties to take you out.

When rounds come their way, they’re going to scatter.

I gotta disagree with this mindset.

That mob of 20 folks isn’t a couple squads of SAS trained professionals that are going to ignore incoming gunfire & casualties to take you out.

When rounds come their way, they’re going to scatter.
Sure, probably correct, but I dont want to take on more than 1 person with 6 rounds. I’m going for speed, plus ease of reload and a semi Is way quicker to load than a revolver. You can drop a mag with shooting hand and have the other already getting a new mag rolling. Needs two hands and lots of extra motions with my revolver.

What happens when 18 scatter and 2 decide to shoot back. 6 round slow reload is not my cup of tea.

Agreed, but you cant tell me a mob of 20 folks coming at you wont make you pucker more than if you had a high capacity semi auto. Not pretty either way you slice it, but a revolver puts you at a distinct disadvantage

Hi there.

Well first of all I didn't tell anyone I was taking on a mob with a revolver since I clearly said..." In the case of a long-term survival handgun a revolver provides several advantages over a semi-auto."

Entirely different scenario. It's a hard time retrieving your spent brass from a semi in the woods to reload.

Even if I was carrying a revolver, it is a secondary firearm to my rifle. But my primary handgun is a high-cap semi.

Also, I don't plan on getting anywhere near a mob w/o being prepared to deal with that threat level, or I'd retreat.

I believe in the SERE approach - Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape.

My .02

Last edited:
Hi there.

Well first of all I didn't tell anyone I was taking on a mob with a revolver since I clearly said..." In the case of a long-term survival handgun a revolver provides several advantages over a semi-auto."

Entirely different scenario. It's a hard time retrieving your spent brass in the woods to reload.

Even if I had a revolver, it is a secondary firearm to my rifle.

Also, I don't plan on getting anywhere near a mob w/o being prepared to deal with that threat level, or I'd retreat.

I believe in the SERE approach - Survival, Evasion, Resistance and Escape.

My .02
Ok
First of all
Chill out

i am simply mentioning a revolver vs a semi. Leave long gun out of discussion because that is not original thread.

woods
Urban

different cases and scenarios.

so go on with the mental thought you had and I will go on with mine.
Maine, dallas, detroit and idaho are all unique “long term survival” in there own right

good day sir

My first handgun was a revolver. I still have it and many others. It would not be a revolver that I went for in a life or death situation. If I was stranded in the woods, surrounded by boogie men and had no access to lube or bore solvent, a revolver would make sense. Then again I know people that have put several thousand rounds through their plastic fantastics without cleaning them at all. I guess to prove a point. I wouldn't do that but it can obviously be done. Many of my handguns are steel. In fact I only own about 5 plastic handguns. I fail to see any advantage in a revolver for me.

Ok
First of all
Chill out

i am simply mentioning a revolver vs a semi. Leave long gun out of discussion because that is not original thread.

woods
Urban

different cases and scenarios.

so go on with the mental thought you had and I will go on with mine.
Maine, dallas, detroit and idaho are all unique “long term survival” in there own right

good day sir

I am chill & right back at you also. Just don't put words into my posts.

Define your scenarios ahead of time vs after the fact.

Cheers.

Back