testtest

The General Purpose Handgun: One Concept to Consider

Interesting thread.

OK, my first gun was a revolver. I bought it through the mail from Kleins; it was a .455 Webley selected mostly because it was cheaper than a surplus Luger. It was a terrible choice for a 12 year old as it was heavy and had far too much recoil. I don't think I even emptied the first cylinder before deciding I needed a different gun. I ended up trading it for a High Standard .22 to another kid who didn't know any more about handguns than I did.

I loved the Ruger Speed Six when it came out and heavy as it was, it became one of my backup guns. Later that same gun was sent off to ASP for conversion to a 5 shot .44 special. I still have that gun, but no longer carry or shoot it and it mostly takes up space in a safe.

I also love the S&W (first model) .66 and it would be my first choice for a personal protection revolver if I were to choose a revolver for that purpose. I also love my .44 magnum Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter that I had cut down to a 5' and had a full job done on it by one of the best single action gunsmiths in the country. While in the hands of a specially schooled shooter it can be a devastating self-defense tool when stoked with .44 specials. That said, I only use the gun for hunting and for Bar B Qs.

For me, revolvers are primarily hunting tools (with the except of SASS and CMSA activities) and semi autos are primarily self protection tools. I like and own both.

I think if I could only have one firearm that it would be a .357 Magnum revolver. It is truly an all round general purpose handgun. Shooting 38 Special rounds for plinking and the .357 Magnums for serious work. Luckily we don't have those limitations yet. :)

Back