testtest

Thoughts on 25 acp???

I view the .25 acp as an anemic cartridge that is best left in the past. There are other rounds that are better and guns that fit them are plentiful and everywhere. You own what you want, I wouldn't dare suggest it for SD.

I will chime in with the centerfire is much more resistant to moisture than a rimfire. If you carry a mouse gun in a rimfire caliber, change your ammo out frequently and practice with the ammo you carried but didn't use. I am no big fan of the .25, but at the office Range Day a few years ago I shot a borrowed Colt vest pocket 25 and put the full magazine in the head of the old Colt Silhouette target from about 20 yards. I was amazed at the accuracy.

The .25 is not that powerful. In a "close encounter" situation, you need to aim at the eyes at 1 yard, and fire. Repeat until the bad person breaks off the attack.
A magazine dump in the face will generally dissuade/stop the attack. this will provide you with the opportunity to escape the confrontation.

The best alternative is a 12 gauge at 3 feet in the chest with a 3" Magnum shell loaded with 000 Buckshot. A 1-2 shot stop is virtually assured.

.22 lr instead everyday. Ammo is much more available, and far cheaper. .25 is pricey and quite expensive to shoot while at the same time carrying less power than a good .22. It’s ONLY advantage is that it’s centerfire and a bit more reliable ignition wise. It you MUST use a mouse gun, then .22 with quality ammo. For defense, get a more powerful round. 9 mm ammo is typically a LOT cheaper than .25, is a LOT more powerful, and is available in a wide variety of handguns in sizes from small to full size service pieces.

.22 lr instead everyday. Ammo is much more available, and far cheaper. .25 is pricey and quite expensive to shoot while at the same time carrying less power than a good .22. It’s ONLY advantage is that it’s centerfire and a bit more reliable ignition wise. It you MUST use a mouse gun, then .22 with quality ammo. For defense, get a more powerful round. 9 mm ammo is typically a LOT cheaper than .25, is a LOT more powerful, and is available in a wide variety of handguns in sizes from small to full size service pieces.
What will you do when you hear a "click" instead of a "bang" when you pull the trigger? Rimfires have the problem of the occasional primer failure. The .22 also employs a "heel" type bullet. This can allow oil to seep past the bullet and contaminate the propellant. This adds to the risk of a misfire. This is why John Moses Browning created the catridge.

In a moment of crisis do you want to risk any failure?

The .25 is not that powerful. In a "close encounter" situation, you need to aim at the eyes at 1 yard, and fire. Repeat until the bad person breaks off the attack.
A magazine dump in the face will generally dissuade/stop the attack. this will provide you with the opportunity to escape the confrontation.

The best alternative is a 12 gauge at 3 feet in the chest with a 3" Magnum shell loaded with 000 Buckshot. A 1-2 shot stop is virtually assured.
12 G is always a good choice Captain. 000/00 magnums great loading, I might add a solid slug magnum at center chest will provide such a stop. I alternate my bandoliers with that setup. However, the downside of said shotgun is it is not concealable, outside of a oiled raincoat.

At equal barrel lengths, .22 isn’t more powerful.

.25 is also more reliable feeding in semi-autos (rimless vs rimmed cartridge).

The .25 also seems very loud to me, considering its ballistics. Intentional to amp up the fear factor, sounding like a larger weapon? I don't know. I have never carried this, but I guess if I needed a swimsuit gun this would fill the bill. The workmanship is remarkable for the era, and it is stone ax reliable. Of course, I pestered my friend to sell it to me after that office range day! Time has marched on I suppose, and one can get a .380 that is thinner and lighter. But I like having this throwback to an earlier age when gentlemen wore vests and considered the .25 adequate for ruffians.

...carry a 25 if it makes you feel good, but do not ever load it. If you load it you may shoot it. If you shoot it you may hit somebody, and if you hit somebody – and he finds out about it – he may be very angry with you.

—Jeff Cooper
This was an idiotic remark then, and it still is.
If you'll stand 3 feet from me and let me use your face and throat for target practice. Does that work for you? No? I didn't think so.

If you'll stand 3 feet from me and let me use your face and throat for target practice. Does that work for you? No? I didn't think so.
Pretty sure it was a joke. It was meant to imply that unless you literally have no other choice, carrying a .25 as a means to save your own life if the unthinkable happens, is stupid. And it is.

Probably don’t really want to talk about shooting people in the throat around here since we’re taking everything so literally.

Pretty sure it was a joke. It was meant to imply that unless you literally have no other choice, carrying a .25 as a means to save your own life if the unthinkable happens, is stupid. And it is.

Probably don’t really want to talk about shooting people in the throat around here since we’re taking everything so literally.
It is a "pi$$ poor" joke at best. I NEVER, EVER take a life-threatening situation as "joke material".

It is a "pi$$ poor" joke at best. I NEVER, EVER take a life-threatening situation as "joke material".
I’m reasonably certain the dude who said it, who for all intents and purposes invented modern self defense handgunning, wouldn’t care if you liked his joke.

And the old, “ let me shoot you with my .22 then you can tell me, blah, blah, blah” is like the worst red herring/analogy, whatever.

As I said, and I wasn’t joking, unless you have no choice, carrying a .25 or a .22 for self defense is stupid. Square off with your buddy. You with your .25 and him with anything else. Work for you ?

IMG_4183.gif

380 guns are too close in size to a 25 that it don't make sense to carry one.

I was just going to say the same thing. My LCP MAX in 380 is just a bit larger than my 25 Colt, however they are both true pocket pistols. The MAX has greater capacity 10 + 1 but weights less than the colt. Currently you can get 380 ammo cheaper than 25 ACP. The MAX is my summer carry but once winter arrives and I wear a coat I carry a .40 cal.

IMG_2886_1.jpg

View attachment 66692
I mentioned this in another thread, this is what I carry now due to my surgery, .25auto, I use a sticky pocket holster, this little gun feeds anything and I have complete faith in it.
The cheapest firearm I ever bought and was the cheapest made also was a little Raven .25. The little thing amazed the crap out of me. It fed any ammo I put in it ( All FMJ ) and was very accurate . Back in those days we still got oil in the waxed cardboard round containers. At 7 yards I could put the whole magazine in one of those containers every time.

Back