testtest

Versatile?

SMSgtRod

Professional
Founding Member
You're a right handed shooter. Left hand gets slammed in a car door. Can you draw and fire one handed?
This time your right hand gets slammed in the car door. Can you get the weapon out of the holster? Can you
shoot with that left hand and hit something? Still aiming with one eye closed or are you getting the full view of the situation?

Most of us don't have time or desire to go full tactical and I think that's fine. On the other hand maybe we should all
embrace a few of the what if possibilities. What do you think?

You're a right handed shooter. Left hand gets slammed in a car door. Can you draw and fire one handed?
This time your right hand gets slammed in the car door. Can you get the weapon out of the holster? Can you
shoot with that left hand and hit something? Still aiming with one eye closed or are you getting the full view of the situation?

Most of us don't have time or desire to go full tactical and I think that's fine. On the other hand maybe we should all
Agreed, one thing that I found helpful is airsoft.
One can train in ways with airsoft that would never make be safe on a range.
I remember taking a class after having only practiced with airsoft for a year. The drill was 10yd advance and retreat, head shots only. Having told them of my dry spell and running a borrowed 1911, it seemed the instructors didnt expect much, but as ran dry on the retreat one handed me his pistol (Glock19) to keep up my pace.
Although airsoft i practiced with was a P229 the muscle memory served me well, an there was a nice grapefruit sized group on the target.

I think its really just about remaining flexible and not limiting yourself. I am sure there must have a few fliers but the hours of expiramenting with the airsoft paid off.

I am a big fan of the Roberts Drill variations. Where you shoot a couple shots two handed, couple shots strong hand and a couple weak hand. We do it on the dueling tree with my shooting group pretty regular. Its a challenging drill when you are shooting right next to someone. Add in a mag change or two and it gets downright hard.

I switch hands, support, no support, but I have never practiced drawing weak hand. I cleared my gun and tried. Notice I said tried lol, I can clear the holster several ways, none of which resulted in a proper shooting grip. It also begs the question of carry position with weak hand in mind.

With my shoulder holster it works well. Right handed so the holster is under the left arm pit. I'm getting to where it's almost easy to draw with the LEFT hand. Twist the wrist, go in for it, when it comes out 9 out of 10 times under condition one, I'm good to go. Started trying this a while back and thought it would be impossible. Mind you I'm using a vertical holster, Might be even easier with a horizontal, but I don't like my muzzle pointed at people behind me.

Gear and gear setup can also make bilaterals tricky - or even impossible.

I really do believe that this is something that shooters should consider, however, I would strongly advise those who want to look more into these skillsets to get proper instruction from a vetted source prior to attempting these skills, particularly live-fire.

FWIW, the old Magpul Art of the Dynamic Handgun DVD series did a pretty reasonable job getting into this on the second disk, but even so, there are finer points which were covered in "live" class (I unfortunately have yet to be able to attend a Magpul class, but I did take 6 days' worth of handgun - both HE01 and HE02 [now "Handgun Elements Theory"] - with Chris Costa in 2012, as a part of his then-new Costa Ludus outfit) but were either not covered in-detail or were completely not a part of the DVDs. Nothing comes close to beating having a real-live instructor there with you, to help you and give you pointers.

Also, as with everything else, there are multiple techniques that can accomplish the same goal. While the techniques covered in the Magpul DVDs are valid and serve as a great foundation, remember that there are others out there that are also worth learning.

As more and more folks come to realize the need for better training (thank you, Mr. Jack Wilson, for pushing the importance of training and practice to a national audience!), my hope is that this type of more advanced skill will be taught appropriately to more and more shooters. 10 years ago, it was rare to come upon a training class that offered such opportunities, and it was specifically towards these concerns that I decided to sign up for those Costa Ludus classes, particularly after seeing AARs such as these: https://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=522232 (post number 8 in that thread, for example, shows Costa performing a demo of one of his non-dominant hand draw techniques). Fast forward 5 years down the line, and there's now a class locally, taught by a well-vetted and highly regarded instructor, sponsored through one of my state's 2A-nonprofits that also specifically target these skills. :)

It matters for long-gun, too, of-course -

July 2017 under car 1.jpg

^ That thiccboy is me, bumping over to my non-dominant shoulder to shoot under a vehicle, at a 1" stake that simulated the shin bone of a threat on the other side of the vehicle. (Similar to the Magpul handgun DVD series, they also put out a two-volume [6 discs total, 2 for the first, 4 for the second] Art of the Tactical Carbine and single-volume [2 disc] Art of the Dynamic Shotgun, both of which also covered bilateral and injured-shooter skills. For pure manipulation and marksmanship skills, the Panteo Productions Pistol TAPS and Carbine TAPS [Pat McNamara] DVDs offer excellent bilateral drills.)

Similarly, being able to shoot and move or shooting-while-moving is also another set of skills to practice. And as Larry Vickers pointed out, for those of us who do not hunt, any chance that we can get to shoot at movers, we should. These are another two big reasons why I try to attend training classes - luckily, two of the schools local to me offer moving target systems.

Great post, SMSgtRod!

I am a big fan of the Roberts Drill variations. Where you shoot a couple shots two handed, couple shots strong hand and a couple weak hand. We do it on the dueling tree with my shooting group pretty regular. Its a challenging drill when you are shooting right next to someone. Add in a mag change or two and it gets downright hard.
I used too short best left handed, but my broken wrist keeps me from shooting even a 22lr pistol even with a supporting hand.

I am horribly left handed. I work in Corrections and have to qualify every year. I got tired of asking for left handed gear and changing my duty belt around completely, so I taught myself to shoot from both shoulders and out of either hand using a modified Weaver stance, behind cover or one-handed. I do not practice closing one eye as in tactical situations that she erely limits your natural field of view.

With my shoulder holster it works well. Right handed so the holster is under the left arm pit. I'm getting to where it's almost easy to draw with the LEFT hand. Twist the wrist, go in for it, when it comes out 9 out of 10 times under condition one, I'm good to go. Started trying this a while back and thought it would be impossible. Mind you I'm using a vertical holster, Might be even easier with a horizontal, but I don't like my muzzle pointed at people behind me.
Is it a top or bottom draw.

I have a horizontal that I quit using, I don't like my weapon pointed at people behind me. Remember, we never point a
gun at somebody we don't want to shoot. Especially a known loaded one.

Back