testtest

Versatile?

I never "used" to carry condition one but instructor ask, "will I always have that extra time to rack the slide and then get pulled up on the target?" Have to say no. Thinking about it I realize that we may barely have time to get the
weapon out. So, I carry condition one for safety. Which a Glock doesn't have... a safety that is.
I am at this time searching out a holster for my SA 1911. As I have the SFS on it now, it's my carry choice.

I never "used" to carry condition one but instructor ask, "will I always have that extra time to rack the slide and then get pulled up on the target?" Have to say no. Thinking about it I realize that we may barely have time to get the
weapon out. So, I carry condition one for safety. Which a Glock doesn't have... a safety that is.
I am at this time searching out a holster for my SA 1911. As I have the SFS on it now, it's my carry choice.
I understand and I see both ends.

I carried my XDs for the first week or so with a dummy round in the chamber, till I learned to trust the weapon. I'd check every night for a misfire, and it obviously never did.

Since then, I carry it 7+1, IWB, in a kydex Alien holster. Why add the "rack the slide" step under duress? Same reason I have an auto-on laser (Viridian Reactor5 ECR green) - why have to reach for a button under duress, when a magnet in the holster can do it for me? Ditto SA, with the grip safety - if I'm holding the gun properly, the primary safety is defeated. If I pull the trigger properly, so is the secondary. Sitting in the holster? Both are "safe".

Under duress, which would you rather do?

1-
Identify.
Draw.
Sight in, or put laser dot on target.
Pull trigger.
Make hole(s).

or 2-
Identify
Draw
Rack a round (requires 2 hands - usually, unless you're good with your knee, elbow, or armpit)
Thumb the safety
Activate a laser
Sight in
Pull trigger.

Six seconds in Texas resulted in two dead innocents, before an armed citizen guard eliminated the shooter.

Seconds count.

When I went through carry qualification for Texas the 3 distances were 3, 7 and 15 yards and I qualified shooting from the hip and all were on target. I lacked 2 points for perfect score. Even though I don't carry 1 in the chamber, I practice rack draw with hip fire for cq. Now all I need is a single action. Proficiency over speed is how I train. I make my own dummy rounds by using spent cases, resizing, not removing primers and seating bullets that I reload with special marking for designation.

I have another concern with not carrying in condition one. Noise. If I have some one at the house racking a shotgun in of it's self can be a deterrent. Having to rack my pistol slows me down, but maybe I am trying to avoid a confrontation, only preparing for it. Racking will most certainly draw all eyes to me. Not Good!:cautious:

I have another concern with not carrying in condition one. Noise. If I have some one at the house racking a shotgun in of it's self can be a deterrent. Having to rack my pistol slows me down, but maybe I am trying to avoid a confrontation, only preparing for it. Racking will most certainly draw all eyes to me. Not Good!:cautious:
Just rack it anyways, you'll still have the same round count as without.

So what are you implying?
Alles hat ein Ende nur die Wurst hat zwei = Everything has one end, only the sausage has two

This is another way of saying that all good things have to come to an end at some point.

You have seen both ends-you must be a zen master

The problem of there not being a viable cartridge in the chamber is just that.

The problem of a viable cartridge being in the chamber is also just that.

I strongly advocate carrying WITH a viable cartridge in the chamber, but that's a decision everyone has to make on their own, simply because there is definitely no way that the bullet will exit the muzzle without that cartridge being loaded, and there is an undeniable level of safety, there.

Can I say that my holstered weapon will -CERTAINLY NEVER- discharge due to either gear or mechanical issues? I really cannot. I've read about instances of the former, and I've personally witnessed the latter (not in a holster, but that shooter did *not* intend for the weapon to discharge: https://primaryandsecondary.com/forum/index.php?threads/aar-costa-ludus-he2.2066/ - I use the same screen-name there, too). It's a possibility that, however remote and unlikely, I simply cannot fully discount.

Similarly, I find that regardless of how much I try to push the case for "Condition 0/1" carry based on combatives and injury/unorthodox/unlikely conditions, those who wish that extra level of safety simply will not be swayed - and for what it's worth, I can respect that decision.

Just don't be deluded into thinking that the gun is "just as accessible," that the initial shot can be delivered "just as fast." A shot timer mated to a known metric does not lie and easily disproves the latter, while the pressure-cooker that is Force-on-Force and integrated combatives will readily quash the former. Actually, for the vast majority of those who "Israeli Carry," simple weapons-manipulations drills that involve bilateral single-handed manipulations will cause failures, even with only just the pressures that a live-fire flat-range imposes.

The concession towards one "safety" is necessarily a demand that stems from the need/want for the other side of that equation.

As long as the end-user fully recognizes the logic behind his/her choice, I fully respect the choice that they make. :)

Back