testtest

Victor barrel nut adjustment

benstt

Professional
Founding Member
I go a new Victor and haven't had a chance to use it yet. The hand guard is off center as shown in the attached picture. Looking at the rifle, the hand guard is screwed into what I think is the barrel nut. It looks like turning the nut a few degrees cw, looking at the nut from the rear, would true it up. To any gunsmiths here, as well as Springfield staff, is it a good idea to sort this out myself? I have no doubt a couple clicks on the rear sight would deal with any poi/poa issues. I'm sure this is well within spec at the factory and I'm just being a perfectionist.

Attachments

• 20200228_231056.jpg
    20200228_231056.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 800
To be honest the best solution to your problem is to send it back to Springfield. If there's an alignment issue, there might be some other issues the they missed in production. I would send it back to Springfield and let their gunsmith inspect it and make any adjustments necessary. Since it's a manufacturer defect, you can send it back to Springfield and they will pay for shipping both ways.

If you were close by I would inspect it for you. Just to see if that was your only issue. However, if you do any work on that weapon and you're not a Springfield armorer you will void the warranty.

To be honest the best solution to your problem is to send it back to Springfield. If there's an alignment issue, there might be some other issues the they missed in production. I would send it back to Springfield and let their gunsmith inspect it and make any adjustments necessary. Since it's a manufacturer defect, you can send it back to Springfield and they will pay for shipping both ways.
Good call. It's a wicked nice rifle, I'd love to have it be absolutely perfect.

I had a manufacturing defect on my 1911 and once I notified Springfield, they paid for shipping both ways. Plus fixed my 1911 no questions asked. Their customer service is great!

I had a manufacturing defect on my 1911 and once I notified Springfield, they paid for shipping both ways. Plus fixed my 1911 no questions asked. Their customer service is great!
That's good stuff! It's hard to find a company that has a lifetime warranty these days, so credit to Springfield for taking care of their customers.

The barrel nut for the SAINTS is the BCM wrench.
there is a slight adjustment if you loosen the screws.
Loosen what screws? I'm hesitant to do anything to it for warranty reasons. Also I don't know what a BCM wrench is or, if I'm honest, what the barrel nut is. All I know is what I can see looking in through the M-Lok holes.

Loosen what screws? I'm hesitant to do anything to it for warranty reasons. Also I don't know what a BCM wrench is or, if I'm honest, what the barrel nut is. All I know is what I can see looking in through the M-Lok holes.
No offense, it’s actually good you said that. With your level of experience send it back.

but if you look at the handguard there are torx screws that hold the handguard to the barrel nut.
And the barrel nuts the SA uses, need a BCM brand wrench to fit it.

No offense, it’s actually good you said that. With your level of experience send it back.

but if you look at the handguard there are torx screws that hold the handguard to the barrel nut.
And the barrel nuts the SA uses, need a BCM brand wrench to fit it.
Alright, thanks!

Do yourself a favor. And simply send it back. If the handguard is off, there might be other issues you may be unaware of. You paid for a new mint condition rifle. Let their experts fix the misalignment and inspect the rifle to ensure its good to go and that you have a mint rifle sent back to you. Again... If you take anything apart that is not involved with basic cleaning procedures, you will be voiding your warranty. With your knowledge of the rifle and it's parts, it is in your best interest to simply send it back. Springfield Armory will take care of you.

If you get an AR gun mat you can see where all of the parts are, but not all versions will apply. The 2 torx screws on both sides of the handguard close too the upper receiver is what you loosen. They could be a 15, 20 or 25 torx, I don't have any of those type guards. Just information for you, but for now send it back would be good!

Take the screws out and rotate it correctly then try to re tighten them snd see if it goes back into the same position. Dont exceed 40-45 in/lbs max.

Take the screws out and rotate it correctly then try to re tighten them snd see if it goes back into the same position. Dont exceed 40-45 in/lbs max.
It's going back to Springfield. I'll monkey with things I make after I know what I'm doing.

It's going back to Springfield. I'll monkey with things I make after I know what I'm doing.
Gotcha. When I got my Victor, I completely took it apart doen to the last pin prior to shooting it. Im anal though. Lol.
For future reference, the rails ain’t nothing to remove for periodic cleaning. The four screws come out the sides, T20 torx, and then remove the tabs and she slides off.
Sorry you had an issue buddy. That sucks having to ship it off. Did you fire it to see if there were any other issues that may arise? If not, I would. That way you can get it addressed without having to play the back n forth game.

Back