testtest

Victor barrel nut adjustment

Hi, I'm new on this site. I bought a Victor a couple months ago and having some real accuracy issues. I cleaned it good, put a Vortex Strike Eagle scope with the Vortex cantilever mount on it. Everything torqued to spec and off to the range. Won't do better than 8" groups at 50 yards. Concrete bench with bags and had two different people shoot it. So it is definitely the gun. Took it back to the dealer thinking it could be issues with the barrel nut installation. They took it for a couple days and said it checked out OK. Took it back out...same exact results. The one anomaly with the gun is that the hand guard is not concentric with the barrel. (That is what caught my eye on this thread. It came up on a google search.) It is off center to the barrel approximately 3/16 of an inch looking at it straight on. So it is not just a little off. I'm thinking I should probably send it back. Has anyone here experienced this much of an accuracy issue? Everything I read on it says that it is typically issues with optic installation or barrel. As stated above, I have verified to the best of my ability those two things are OK. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. THANKS-

Hi, I'm new on this site. I bought a Victor a couple months ago and having some real accuracy issues. I cleaned it good, put a Vortex Strike Eagle scope with the Vortex cantilever mount on it. Everything torqued to spec and off to the range. Won't do better than 8" groups at 50 yards. Concrete bench with bags and had two different people shoot it. So it is definitely the gun. Took it back to the dealer thinking it could be issues with the barrel nut installation. They took it for a couple days and said it checked out OK. Took it back out...same exact results. The one anomaly with the gun is that the hand guard is not concentric with the barrel. (That is what caught my eye on this thread. It came up on a google search.) It is off center to the barrel approximately 3/16 of an inch looking at it straight on. So it is not just a little off. I'm thinking I should probably send it back. Has anyone here experienced this much of an accuracy issue? Everything I read on it says that it is typically issues with optic installation or barrel. As stated above, I have verified to the best of my ability those two things are OK. Any help here would be greatly appreciated. THANKS-
I get poor precision with 150gr FMJ rounds, but it improves markedly with heavier bullets. 165gr does well. It was never an 8 inch spread, though, that's nuts. Maybe 4 inches at 100 yards. I had the exact same issue with the hand guard. Send it back to Springfield to get it fixed. I'd be surprised if that helped precision with optics but who knows.

8” at 50 yards with a scope is not ok. You don’t happen to have a picture do you? I have a Strike Eagle on one of my AR’s and it is a good scope. I would assume if the gun store took the handguard off to look at the barrel they torqued the barrel nut back on properly. That would be my only concern on that aspect. I’m not sure how the handguard attaches with these rifles as some are different than others, usually you will screw or twist the handguard onto the barrel nut and tighten the screws. You don’t want the handguard touching the barrel and I know this may sound silly but when shooting off a bench w/ bags you want the handguard on the bags and not the barrel. I say that because 8” groups at 50 yards, something isn’t right whether it’s your scope or the rifle.

SA does have good customer service and after checking things over once more and if you haven’t shoot but one type of ammo through it I’d try that just to see what kind of groups you got with a different brand/weight, give them a call or email them.

Something has to be wrong,cause KF shot a hog blindfolded at 75 yards? With that kind of or lack of grouping I think ammo was not the cause?

Something has to be wrong,cause KF shot a hog blindfolded at 75 yards? With that kind of or lack of grouping I think ammo was not the cause?
Agree. Used 3 different kinds of ammo. All the same spray. This is my first AR; but 45 years shooting. I’m trying a different scope to rule the Vortex out. If still bad it’s going back to SA.

8” at 50 yards with a scope is not ok. You don’t happen to have a picture do you? I have a Strike Eagle on one of my AR’s and it is a good scope. I would assume if the gun store took the handguard off to look at the barrel they torqued the barrel nut back on properly. That would be my only concern on that aspect. I’m not sure how the handguard attaches with these rifles as some are different than others, usually you will screw or twist the handguard onto the barrel nut and tighten the screws. You don’t want the handguard touching the barrel and I know this may sound silly but when shooting off a bench w/ bags you want the handguard on the bags and not the barrel. I say that because 8” groups at 50 yards, something isn’t right whether it’s your scope or the rifle.

SA does have good customer service and after checking things over once more and if you haven’t shoot but one type of ammo through it I’d try that just to see what kind of groups you got with a different brand/weight, give them a call or email them.
Here are a couple pics that show the hand guard alignment/concentricity issue. As noted on a previous post, this guard bolts to the barrel bolt. So in my mind, if the barrel nut is true and the holes are drilled right the guard would line up with the barrel. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the accuracy problem or not. Certainly couldn’t rule it out though.

Attachments

• 78EBBF87-EDD1-4477-84FA-0ED80566819E.jpeg
    78EBBF87-EDD1-4477-84FA-0ED80566819E.jpeg
    978 KB · Views: 257
  • BC25E918-4D00-41A8-BA23-01490ECE9A9B.jpeg
    BC25E918-4D00-41A8-BA23-01490ECE9A9B.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 253
Here are a couple pics that show the hand guard alignment/concentricity issue. As noted on a previous post, this guard bolts to the barrel bolt. So in my mind, if the barrel nut is true and the holes are drilled right the guard would line up with the barrel. I don’t know if this has anything to do with the accuracy problem or not. Certainly couldn’t rule it out though.
An email won’t be read for awhile. Call them and explain to a CS Rep. and request an RA and send it back for SA to correct the issue.

I'm thinking an 8" spread at 50yds is due to something loose rather than a misalignment. With a scope at that short distance, if everything is tight, it makes little difference whether everything is in alignment or not, the group, although off, would be much smaller. When a group is that wide and spread out at that short distance, it indicative of something moving/changing between shots.

If all mount screws are tight to spec, and the mount itself is quality, I'd suspect the internals in the scope. Even good scopes can fail at some point, maybe having been dropped in packaging, unpackaging, incorrect mounting, maybe 1" rings on a 30mm tube (happens often), maybe rings not in alignment, etc. Maybe even a loose bbl/nut. None of these things are typically intentional or even knowingly, but they've all happened at some point or another.

Maybe dismount everything and start over, checking and measuring as it goes. Especially the ring size and alignment. Be aware tough, if any of these issues are discovered, it very well may mean the scope is trashed. Let's hope not and good luck.

EDIT: One last thought would be to check/double check torque values on all mounting screws ..... MOST especially the ring screws. Too light will allow a scope to squirm around, too tight ring screws will usually twist the scope.

Last edited:
I'm thinking an 8" spread at 50yds is due to something loose rather than a misalignment. With a scope at that short distance, if everything is tight, it makes little difference whether everything is in alignment or not, the group, although off, would be much smaller. When a group is that wide and spread out at that short distance, it indicative of something moving/changing between shots.

If all mount screws are tight to spec, and the mount itself is quality, I'd suspect the internals in the scope. Even good scopes can fail at some point, maybe having been dropped in packaging, unpackaging, incorrect mounting, maybe 1" rings on a 30mm tube (happens often), maybe rings not in alignment, etc. Maybe even a loose bbl/nut. None of these things are typically intentional or even knowingly, but they've all happened at some point or another.

Maybe dismount everything and start over, checking and measuring as it goes. Especially the ring size and alignment. Be aware tough, if any of these issues are discovered, it very well may mean the scope is trashed. Let's hope not and good luck.

EDIT: One last thought would be to check/double check torque values on all mounting screws ..... MOST especially the ring screws. Too light will allow a scope to squirm around, too tight ring screws will usually twist the scope.
I second that! Try and recheck accuracy against iron sights if possible? Don't worry about poi/zeroing, just aim at the same spot and fire.

Ive seen lots of loose screw incidents. Make sure the optics are properly mounted. Its nothing personal, sometimes the manufacturers QC is lacking.
I have gotten into the habbit of breaking everything down before I use it. It helps to understand what goes where and how it works, even if only at a basic level.

Back