testtest

Video: How Effective Is .380 ACP?

In the right platforms, it’s a great option for someone with hand strength issues or recoil sensitivity...

The ultralight, itty-bitty pocket rockets (also looking at the LCP) are not the right platform, though.

I’ve found the Sig P238 to be a good choice in those cases; with the extended magazine/baseplate, it affords a full grip, is light recoiling, and has an easy to work slide (particularly with a cocked hammer).

I like my SA 911 in .380 for ultra conceal. My EDC is the Hellcat. I’m still amazed that tenths of an inch and a few ounces can make such a difference in concealability and comfort. I’ve had the LCP and a Keltec P38T. Although they are super small, they’re just not for me. The 911 is a little bigger than them, but quality and features are light years better. And it’s still small and light enough to conceal and carry with just gym shorts and a t-shirt.

Due to XL hands, my M&P Bodyguard 380 was problematic at first. A friend showed me his Desantis Pocket Shot holster that he used for his 380. It solved the size problem for me immediately. I can now shoot quite accurately with one hand or combat grip due to the design of the holster. Desantis makes it for a number of different 380's. It works very well for me after a little training and practice. If it prints at all, it looks like a wallet.

1607287613253.png

Due to XL hands, my M&P Bodyguard 380 was problematic at first. A friend showed me his Desantis Pocket Shot holster that he used for his 380. It solved the size problem for me immediately. I can now shoot quite accurately with one hand or combat grip due to the design of the holster. Desantis makes it for a number of different 380's. It works very well for me after a little training and practice. If it prints at all, it looks like a wallet.

View attachment 12599

Doesn't a holster like this negate the point of putting a pocket gun in a holster? Nothing stopping you from grabbing on to that trigger when you're in their trying to get it out. I get that it breaks up the pattern so it don't look like a gun in your pocket, but it still looks dangerous to me.

I just generally dislike pocket guns.

Browning 1911 .380
80% size of standard 1911
Excellent shooter

My dad bought the Browning when age & arthritis made his GI 1911 difficult to control. I went with the Rock Island Baby Rock, and we enjoy both of the guns. The Browning is lighter to carry, due to the polymer frame, but the Baby Rock has less recoil. I've been curios about the S&W 380 EZ because I really like mid-sized .380's. The pocket guns are great for deep concealment, but the midsize offerings are much more fun at the range.

I like my LCP II . Wouldn't own the original LCP though.

The LCP II is my everyday backup, and serves as my main carry piece when it is all that my wardrobe will allow. With proper shot placement, I have no doubt that the Ruger is a perfectly capable defensive pistol. I've been tempted to pick up an LCP Custom, because I like that it has a front night sight, but I've heard too many bad things about the original LCP to actually make the purchase.

Doesn't a holster like this negate the point of putting a pocket gun in a holster? Nothing stopping you from grabbing on to that trigger when you're in their trying to get it out. I get that it breaks up the pattern so it don't look like a gun in your pocket, but it still looks dangerous to me.

I just generally dislike pocket guns.
The body guard has a ten pound plus trigger and it also has a very long pull making it a much less risk for a negligent discharge.

I've owned a bodyguard for a couple years now.

Last edited:
The LCP II is my everyday backup, and serves as my main carry piece when it is all that my wardrobe will allow. With proper shot placement, I have no doubt that the Ruger is a perfectly capable defensive pistol. I've been tempted to pick up an LCP Custom, because I like that it has a front night sight, but I've heard too many bad things about the original LCP to actually make the purchase.

If you want an LCP custom , you will have to get a used one. They stopped making the custom model when they came out with the LCP II . I thought I wanted the LCP custom when I went to get a small .380 for pocket carry but after trying the custom and the LCP II side by side for about 30 min. I picked the LCP II.

I have had no regrets after choosing the LCP II.

edit to add ; the LCP custom I was handling along side the LCP II didn't have night sights.

If you want an LCP custom , you will have to get a used one. They stopped making the custom model when they came out with the LCP II . I thought I wanted the LCP custom when I went to get a small .380 for pocket carry but after trying the custom and the LCP II side by side for about 30 min. I picked the LCP II.

I have had no regrets after choosing the LCP II.

edit to add ; the LCP custom I was handling along side the LCP II didn't have night sights.

The LCP Customs show up in the used gun case at my local range on a fairly regular basis. I like the front sight, which has luminescent paint. The rear sights are a little tall for my liking, but I assume the height was necessary to make the gun shoot to point-of-aim.

The availability is kind of a paradox for me. While the fact that I see used models for sale sometimes makes me consider the LCP Custom, it also concerns me. I figure that if the LCP Custom owners were all happy with the guns, then used models wouldn't be so available.

Yeah I have an LCP also, sigh... Only thing it’s good for is a last resort ankle gun and carpal tunnel syndrome. When someone new goes to the range with me and we have the “the right gun makes all the difference” talk, I have them shoot a few mags with my 911 .380 and 1 round from the LCP. Point made, on we go.

My dad bought the Browning when age & arthritis made his GI 1911 difficult to control. I went with the Rock Island Baby Rock, and we enjoy both of the guns. The Browning is lighter to carry, due to the polymer frame, but the Baby Rock has less recoil. I've been curios about the S&W 380 EZ because I really like mid-sized .380's. The pocket guns are great for deep concealment, but the midsize offerings are much more fun at the range.

I bought an EZ 380 for my dad when he could no longer rack any of his 1911s. I put a laser guard laser on it and it’s a great little gun. None of the issues other people reported with it and we have around 1500 through it now. Don’t get one with an integrated laser. They have a button you have to turn on. Useless. The aftermarket CT Laserguard fits around the trigger housing and looks like part of the gun. And when you hold the gun normally, the laser comes on automatically.

Self defense weapons are very personal choices. Survivors will have to decide whether they want to rest their survival on the .380 ACP.

But for its weight, I'd use only my Springfield Armory TRP .45 ACP for all self-defense applications. Hence, I've compromised: for urban self-defense, I used a Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM, and for wilderness self-defense against big, mean critters, I use my TRP.

Back