testtest

Walther PDP Compact 5 inch Quick Review

More likely you’re just a guy who throws the instructions in the trash and just wings it. 😂😂
How hard can a red dot with only one button be! Sheesh.
1723488065626.gif

All this gun stuff is mostly personal preference.

I bought a PDP Compact almost as soon as they were originally released - mostly due to my experience with the PPS M2 which I still think is a sweet shooter .

For striker fired handguns - I've owned Glocks (19s, 43, 43x), Sigs (P320, P365, P365XL, P 365 Legion), FN (509 tactical w/ flat OEM triggers, 510), Walthers (PPS M2, PPQ compact, PDP Compact 4", PDP FS, PDP-F 3.5", PDP Pro compact). I've shot M&Ps and H&K.

Of all those, I've found the Walther PDPs to be the best overall for me. For OEM triggers, I think the Walther PDPs are the best with that PDP Pro's trigger being phenomenal. I like the ergonomics of the PDP the best - both regular and F (Along with the H&K VP9)

For mine -
I add brass backstraps to all as I think the extra weight balances them out nicely. I also added suppressor height back up sights and ditched the stock ones. On the Pro and full size, I also dropped in a DPM captured recoil system. Adding the Dynamic performance trigger to the FS (tracking has it to me later today).

Honestly, the PDP/PDP Pro has lead me to sell off my Glocks (except 1 remaining 19) and my other double stack 9mm striker fired handguns.

For striker fired, I'm all team Walther PDP and Sig P365 series (for the narrower width for EDC).

(For hammer fired, I'm more Sig Legion P series SAO - those things are fantastic.)

1723730883602.png

UPDATE II: Took the PDP Compact 5 to my main range (Texas Gun Experience) this afternoon with the SCS optic set correctly and I’m happy to say the dot performed as anticipated. Still a hair brighter than I prefer, but workable and certainly completely different from last week. I can already feel the trigger getting smoother. 50 rounds went where expected, except that one which you can clearly see was the gun, not me 🤔🙄😇
IMG_7573.jpeg

UPDATE II: Took the PDP Compact 5 to my main range (Texas Gun Experience) this afternoon with the SCS optic set correctly and I’m happy to say the dot performed as anticipated. Still a hair brighter than I prefer, but workable and certainly completely different from last week. I can already feel the trigger getting smoother. 50 rounds went where expected, except that one which you can clearly see was the gun, not me 🤔🙄😇View attachment 64475
Nice dead-eye….you make Barney Fife proud……

As mentioned on another post I added a PDP Compact 5 to my burgeoning collection of guns from the Fatherland. I finally got a chance to get to the range late Sunday and the PDP performed exactly as advertised.
View attachment 64157The Problem is I also took along one of my VP9s which also performed as advertised - which is to say, better. The PDP has a 5 in barrel and a shorter compact grip which takes 15 rd mags out of the box, but also takes the 17rd PPQ mags I run in my Q5 SF. I put a green Holosun SCS on because it direct mounts and also because the body of the SCS is molded to match the extremely aggressive slide serrations of the PDP and looks pretty damn cool. There is no question the PDP Comp 5 is a looker in a kind of chunky, brutalist way, but the SCS is as bright as a lighthouse and cannot be turned down (I’ve made it no secret that I’m not a fan of the SCS because of this) but I thought green might solve the problem. It doesn’t. In broad daylight the SCS is pretty nice but in the neutral lighting of an indoor range it dials itself up to 11 and creates a ridiculous starburst that all but obscures the 4 inch splatterburst targets I prefer at 10 yds - and that is just the 3 moa dot. With the dot/circle reticle it is exactly the same size as the target and you just have to assume you are on target because you can’t see the target at all. I guess for A zone shooting that’s ok, but when you’re used to picking which ventricle you’re going to hit, not so much so. I actually made a little cover out of painters tape to fool the sensor on the optic.
View attachment 64158Not pretty but it worked. That being said my first 10 shots through the PDP were very good with a 4 shot group that was inside an inch.
View attachment 64160All in all I shot two groups of 25 Top and Bottom. Target on right - VP9) that are very respectable that I think could have been tighter with a better optic.
View attachment 64159 The Stock trigger is not bad, about 5lbs, and I expect will get better with more rounds, but I hear a lot of talk about best trigger on a striker based gun and IMO that is not the case. The best trigger is on the other gun I brought - the H&K VP9. Now mine has had a trigger job, but out of the box I give the edge to the VP9. And the ergos on the PDP are pretty nice particularly if you change the backstrap to match your grip, which I did, but guess what? That’s right, the VP9 has significantly better ergos and shot tighter groups - which I’ll put down to the Viridian RX-35 (SRO clone) green dot I have installed on it. So what’s my problem? I don’t really have one other than I am totally smitten with my VP9s.
View attachment 64161
Perhaps with a dot with an RMR footprint and some mileage the PDP will give me warm fuzzies like the VPs and at $449 from Family Firearms I can afford for it to be just ok. The other bad news: My Gen 2 Archon Type B returns from a warranty stay at PTR on Monday and that’s the striker fired gun that makes me think maybe I don’t need so many VP9s!
View attachment 64162
Sorry I missed this post. Nice looking pistols & good shooting.

UPDATE II: Took the PDP Compact 5 to my main range (Texas Gun Experience) this afternoon with the SCS optic set correctly and I’m happy to say the dot performed as anticipated. Still a hair brighter than I prefer, but workable and certainly completely different from last week. I can already feel the trigger getting smoother. 50 rounds went where expected, except that one which you can clearly see was the gun, not me 🤔🙄😇View attachment 64475
Great shooting Simon! Don’t ya just hate that, when a gun goes rogue and shoots a flier? 😉😎

I've built ARs, installed handgun dots, even reset/fixed a trigger bar issue in my P365XL.....but for whatever reason handgun internals/triggers intimidate me.

After getting quotes from local gunsmiths for $65 - $154 (plus $11 shop fee), to take out the OEM trigger and install the new Walther DPT trigger......

i decided I needed; and could do this myself. (I already had the tools - just not the experience.)

Received and installed the DPT Thursday after work. Fairly easy process. Watched a great, recommended video on installation about 4 times before actually doing it along with the video. Took me about 30 minutes, taking my time. Only hitch was I reassembled the barrel lock nut backwards - so I did have to do it again,

I have not had a chance to shoot the Full size with the new trigger or DPM system......but the Compact Pro (w/ brass backstrap and DRM captured recoil system) is the sweetest shooting striker fired handgun I own, or have owned,

1723921872237.png

1723921923545.png

1723922023228.png

I've built ARs, installed handgun dots, even reset/fixed a trigger bar issue in my P365XL.....but for whatever reason handgun internals/triggers intimidate me.

After getting quotes from local gunsmiths for $65 - $154 (plus $11 shop fee), to take out the OEM trigger and install the new Walther DPT trigger......

i decided I needed; and could do this myself. (I already had the tools - just not the experience.)

Received and installed the DPT Thursday after work. Fairly easy process. Watched a great, recommended video on installation about 4 times before actually doing it along with the video. Took me about 30 minutes, taking my time. Only hitch was I reassembled the barrel lock nut backwards - so I did have to do it again,

I have not had a chance to shoot the Full size with the new trigger or DPM system......but the Compact Pro (w/ brass backstrap and DRM captured recoil system) is the sweetest shooting striker fired handgun I own, or have owned,

View attachment 64508

View attachment 64509

View attachment 64510
I installed the Overwatch Precision trigger in my Q5 SF. It was pretty easy to do with decent instructions. An AR is like doing a kid’s jigsaw puzzle. Now, disassembling a VP9 trigger/sear is definitely not for the feint hearted or heavy handed DIYers.

View attachment 64508

View attachment 64509

View attachment 64510
Good job! I love taking things apart and putting them back together. I swapped out a hard drive in a MacBook once (you probably can’t even crack the newer ones open). I fully intend to tinker with my guns (with help, of course 😉) once I retire and have more time to do what I want to do instead of what I have to do. 😎

Good job! I love taking things apart and putting them back together. I swapped out a hard drive in a MacBook once (you probably can’t even crack the newer ones open). I fully intend to tinker with my guns (with help, of course 😉) once I retire and have more time to do what I want to do instead of what I have to do. 😎
good work Bella! I've many years in IT and in the early days repaired or built many a server, router, RAID array, desktop and laptop and more.

Hi @SimonRL,

Couple of good shooters there, and you really know how to use them. ;) Great looking targets.

I'm reeeeally liking my VP9 lately too. I seem to shoot it as well or better than my 5"+ pistols. Once you get the right grip panels installed it feels great. I'm even getting used to the blacked out rear sight.

Yes, still using irons. That's because I'm Ahmish. :ROFLMAO: (Just a joke going around my range.)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Back