testtest

Well, the little lady finally did it!!!

jumpinjoe

Hellcat
I know I've made several posts tonight regarding our EDC's, and I've had something I've been wanting to ell y'all, but just never found quite the right thread, to make it work. So here it goes anyway.

Ever since I've been CC'ing, my wife has also. But she has had tons of trouble finding just the right EDC. She has very small, weak wrists and hands due primarily to bouts with RO. She has tried and tried to find the right thing, even including trying her best to use my Hellcat. But, she just could not rack it. So she tried using a 3"cyl Judge with 410 bore shells ... yeh I know, I know, I tried to tell her but she felt that since she couldn't rack a typical 9mm, and a .22cal just wasn't enough, she'd give the Judge a try. Well she could use it perfectly OK, but it really hurt her to shoot it, so she didn't want to practice. She did try the Ruger SR22 with "Punch" ammo for the same reason. She felt with the greater number of the .22 Punch, it would give her a little better option. She's carried my mod60 .38spl, but that too hurts when she shoots it, even with some reloads made specially for her. Over time she's tried just about everything in my safe except my TC Contender 10" bullBBL cal 45/70 gov't. I was able to convince her she probably didn't even want to try that one.

Well, just last night we might have found her a solution. We stopped off at a LGS just looking, and she spotted a new S&W "Equalizer" and exclaimed how pretty she thought it was. And we all know how "pretty" is the first thing important to the ladies. I guess that's what attracted her to me. Not me!!! ... but my pretty guns ... :p:p;)!!! Well, it might not have been my guns! Anyway, I had mentioned it (the Equalizer) to her several weeks ago as a possible solution. So she picked it up and first try, racked it with no problem. She was so excited she was so gently caressing and massaging that gun, I was afraid she would rub some of the blue off the slide ... and I was so damned envious of that gun ........... but I digress. So we bought it and brought it home. She played with it for hours after we got home and ... (yeh, I was still envious).

But the long and the short of the story is she can now rack a 9mm with the best of us, can load her mags with the included UpLuula loader, and is chomping at the bit to get to the range to shoot it. I didn't tell her but I've loaded a 100 or so special rounds for her to shoot before turning her onto factory fodder, which I'm sure is probably going to be a little hard on her RO. It'll be a lot less painful for her with her RO and she'll be able to shoot considerably more before having to quit for awhile. It may even turn out I'll have to keep her supplied with some special rounds that she won't be afraid to shoot forever. But that's perfectly OK with me. As long as my lady is happy and feels secure with her EDC now, I'll be happy. Maybe a little of that caressing will come my way after all.

Too many guys try to “push” a lady into something that she can’t handle. This turns them off to shooting entirely. Good on you for working with her to find a solution.👍. A couple years ago a lady friend went to an LGS. She’d never, ever, even Fired a firearm of any type. Dude there gave her a DAO Smith snubby “this is what you need”. Now there’s nothing wrong with a snub nose J frame, BUT they’re not an easy piece to master. It took me a long time to teach her to overcome her experience from shooting that thing. Eventually, after starting from scratch with a .22, changing the springs in the Smith and a LOT of practice she got pretty good with it. But it took time.

I understand why some folks steer women to a revolver, Shibadog, but a 38 Special in a snubby can be a handful. Especially with the factory grips. Good for you in helping your friend. I watched a You Tube review (by a woman) of a 32 revolver. I have never shot a 32, but the reviewer was very impressed.

I know I've made several posts tonight regarding our EDC's, and I've had something I've been wanting to ell y'all, but just never found quite the right thread, to make it work. So here it goes anyway.

Ever since I've been CC'ing, my wife has also. But she has had tons of trouble finding just the right EDC. She has very small, weak wrists and hands due primarily to bouts with RO. She has tried and tried to find the right thing, even including trying her best to use my Hellcat. But, she just could not rack it. So she tried using a 3"cyl Judge with 410 bore shells ... yeh I know, I know, I tried to tell her but she felt that since she couldn't rack a typical 9mm, and a .22cal just wasn't enough, she'd give the Judge a try. Well she could use it perfectly OK, but it really hurt her to shoot it, so she didn't want to practice. She did try the Ruger SR22 with "Punch" ammo for the same reason. She felt with the greater number of the .22 Punch, it would give her a little better option. She's carried my mod60 .38spl, but that too hurts when she shoots it, even with some reloads made specially for her. Over time she's tried just about everything in my safe except my TC Contender 10" bullBBL cal 45/70 gov't. I was able to convince her she probably didn't even want to try that one.

Well, just last night we might have found her a solution. We stopped off at a LGS just looking, and she spotted a new S&W "Equalizer" and exclaimed how pretty she thought it was. And we all know how "pretty" is the first thing important to the ladies. I guess that's what attracted her to me. Not me!!! ... but my pretty guns ... :p:p;)!!! Well, it might not have been my guns! Anyway, I had mentioned it (the Equalizer) to her several weeks ago as a possible solution. So she picked it up and first try, racked it with no problem. She was so excited she was so gently caressing and massaging that gun, I was afraid she would rub some of the blue off the slide ... and I was so damned envious of that gun ........... but I digress. So we bought it and brought it home. She played with it for hours after we got home and ... (yeh, I was still envious).

But the long and the short of the story is she can now rack a 9mm with the best of us, can load her mags with the included UpLuula loader, and is chomping at the bit to get to the range to shoot it. I didn't tell her but I've loaded a 100 or so special rounds for her to shoot before turning her onto factory fodder, which I'm sure is probably going to be a little hard on her RO. It'll be a lot less painful for her with her RO and she'll be able to shoot considerably more before having to quit for awhile. It may even turn out I'll have to keep her supplied with some special rounds that she won't be afraid to shoot forever. But that's perfectly OK with me. As long as my lady is happy and feels secure with her EDC now, I'll be happy. Maybe a little of that caressing will come my way after all.
Great news JJ, congrats! Now just remember she is packing now so don’t tick her off…….😬😬

Congratulations!! I have an Equalizer and it shoots great (as do all of my S&W pistols :giggle: ). I'm sure she will love shooting that gun,. You are such a thoughtful husband for loading custom ammo for her! Nothing says love like custom ammo! I am sure you won't be envious of that gun for long..;)😍.

Excellent! I'm glad she found something she likes. (y)
My wife had similar problems. For her the solution was a S&W Model 30-1 in .32 S&W Long. She loved that little gun. It didn't hurt her to shoot it and she shot it quite well. Weren't no powerhouse, but it sure beat harsh language. ;)

Good news, Joe. She needs to go shooting!
I'll be seeing to it this weekend!!! She's a very competent/confident shooter, she shot many thousand's of rounds during the 80's and 90's in the 'NRA Silhouette' games. She was also a certified instructor on my game and fish commission 'Hunter Safety' program for about 16 years. And she's hunted with me many times over the years, so yeh, I think we've finally hit a good thing. Actually as I'm typing this, she's back in the play room practicing with her 'UpLuula" and some dummy loads. She'll load 10 in the mag, load the mag, rack it through all 10 rounds, then start over till she's tried. She's looking forward to the real thing tomorrow.

I understand why some folks steer women to a revolver, Shibadog, but a 38 Special in a snubby can be a handful. Especially with the factory grips. Good for you in helping your friend. I watched a You Tube review (by a woman) of a 32 revolver. I have never shot a 32, but the reviewer was very impressed.
Yeh, getting back to a little more serious replies ... although there was a time I offered her the use of any/every gun I had in the safe, I was leery of ever recommending her anything specific. I was always afraid if I did recommend one in particular and it caused a lot of bad things, she'd be hesitant to trust me again. So, when she showed interest in any of them, I'd try to be as honest as I could with how I described it and what the results would/might be. I always had to keep the RO in mind. And in the end it had to be her decision. And there were times I made up 'special' ammo for her that she never even knew about. I never thought that one day there would be a semi-auto 9mm that she would be able to operate and feel good about, but it happened ... so here we are. She's usually pretty 'dead on' with most of her decisions, so I'm thinking that yeh, it was likely me, and not my guns in the beginning!!! LOL!

And when all the dust has settled, I've got to agree with Shibadog, once a pattern has been established, whether a good one or a bad one, it's hard to change that pattern. A .38 snubby with factory fodder for a lady's first try is a real gamble. IF it works for her and she likes it, job well done ... but if it hurts her, or the noise is too much for her, or it just scares her, you've probably lost a shooting partner for life.

Last edited:
Congratulations!! I have an Equalizer and it shoots great (as do all of my S&W pistols :giggle: ). I'm sure she will love shooting that gun,. You are such a thoughtful husband for loading custom ammo for her! Nothing says love like custom ammo! I am sure you won't be envious of that gun for long..;)😍.
Well many thanks there Ms Bella ... I'll pass on your good words on the 'Equalizer'. I can't agree more with what you said about the "thoughtful husband" loading custom ammo ... that's me in a few words! HaHa! And I'm really hopeful you're right about the timeline on that 'enviousness'!!! LOL! LOL!

Here's to ya Ms Bella, you know I'm just kiddn! ....... Well, maybe not so much on the part about the "thoughtful husband" ............. Ha Ha!

Excellent! I'm glad she found something she likes. (y)
My wife had similar problems. For her the solution was a S&W Model 30-1 in .32 S&W Long. She loved that little gun. It didn't hurt her to shoot it and she shot it quite well. Weren't no powerhouse, but it sure beat harsh language. ;)
I love these stories that turn out so well!!! Good goin' my friend, to you and to your lady!!!

Back