testtest

What are you doing right now??

Morning cup. Lots going on today. Here in a bit I'm going out to the shop and try to tear down a Stevens 38B which I can't find any information on, even from Numrich. Then the 311A needs to be taken down and deep cleaned. Then a tree guy is coming out to look at a couple gigantic soft maple trees I need taken out, over the house and the power lines. and a few trees out back if it isn't too expensive. Then up to my folks' house to snake out their floor drain in the basement, do the yearly maintenance on the furnace and cut up some large wooden objects that need to be hauled out of the basement and burned.

got up my usual time of 4:30, fried up 2 pieces of ham for me and the wife, (she is still sleeping), then i'm gonna be making some lasagna, we will have the little ones come over for a day to jump, run around, run amuck, drop food and drinks on the floors and carpets, and generally terrorize us.......

i'll be pooped out by 2PM, and imma gonna lock them in the storage shed so i can take a nap...

not to worry, the shed has vents for fresh air...

Enjoying my cup of coffee on a surprise day off. Upper management got in trouble for making us work mandatory 10-hour days 7 days a week. A lot of religious guys filed an EEO complaint about not having their Sunday off to go to church (kinda funny how a lot of people got religious all of a sudden). So, management suddenly gives us off on Sundays now, since we have been doing such a great job all of a sudden! lol Oh well, only 10 more days until my knee replacement surgery, and then I'll likely be off for the rest of the year. I'm lucky that I have a lot of sick leave saved up.

Having my first cup. Husband’s cousin is putting together the egg bake casseroles for breakfast. The guys from the cabin will be here in a half an hour or so for breakfast and the Vikings game. Husband and I will go shooting. It cloudy and very windy. The wind is supposed to die down after 10AM (I hope).

Enjoying my cup of coffee on a surprise day off. Upper management got in trouble for making us work mandatory 10-hour days 7 days a week. A lot of religious guys filed an EEO complaint about not having their Sunday off to go to church (kinda funny how a lot of people got religious all of a sudden). So, management suddenly gives us off on Sundays now, since we have been doing such a great job all of a sudden! lol Oh well, only 10 more days until my knee replacement surgery, and then I'll likely be off for the rest of the year. I'm lucky that I have a lot of sick leave saved up.
not knowing your particular job, i can agree with wanting at least Sundays off...

as a former trucker, we had no days off, we run on a 24/7/365 schedule....the only 2 holidays we got off were Thanksgiving Day and Christmas...

but a lot of good that did a trucker, if he lived in Portland, ME, and was off in Portland, OR, a million miles away from his family.

i know, i missed many holidays in my earlier years.......

so yeah, people "get religion" when they have had enough of "da man and his BS".....

especially what "da man" is at home, with HIS own family.....!!!!!

one lasagna done, waiting for the wife to return with additional components for 2 more....

then the little bastoidavitches arrive i was told.......'bout 11:00 am........

which, now i gotta go out into the cold, and oil up the shed locks.

we wouldn't want the little ones to freeze to death locked up out there........or do we.....???

I done got sweaty, was rearranging things and found another use for these log tongs. much easier draggin these 100 to 200 pound cans around.

20241006_082624.jpg
20241006_082915.jpg

not knowing your particular job, i can agree with wanting at least Sundays off...

as a former trucker, we had no days off, we run on a 24/7/365 schedule....the only 2 holidays we got off were Thanksgiving Day and Christmas...

but a lot of good that did a trucker, if he lived in Portland, ME, and was off in Portland, OR, a million miles away from his family.

i know, i missed many holidays in my earlier years.......

so yeah, people "get religion" when they have had enough of "da man and his BS".....

especially what "da man" is at home, with HIS own family.....!!!!!
I work for the Department of the Army in facilities as a Carpenter/Maintenace mechanic on a military base. My 10-hour days are really 13 hours + because of my commute and having to get to work extra early to deal with the long lines getting on base in the mornings. Thousands of people work there. You can wind up sitting in line for over a half hour sometimes. But this is nothing compared to working offshore in the oil fields as a commercial diver. Those were 12–18-hour days 7 days a week for many weeks or months at a time. That was surely a job for the younger version of me. But it did pay very well.

I work for the Department of the Army in facilities as a Carpenter/Maintenace mechanic on a military base. My 10-hour days are really 13 hours + because of my commute and having to get to work extra early to deal with the long lines getting on base in the mornings. Thousands of people work there. You can wind up sitting in line for over a half hour sometimes. But this is nothing compared to working offshore in the oil fields as a commercial diver. Those were 12–18-hour days 7 days a week for many weeks or months at a time. That was surely a job for the younger version of me. But it did pay very well.
I totally get that. I commute 45 minutes both ways for my job. Up at 03:00 every morning for a 05:30 10 hour shift. By the time I get home it’s usually 5PM or later if I have an errand to run in Fargo. I’m usually in bed within 2 hours from the time I get home. They don’t dare force us to work 7 days straight, but they think nothing of mandatory overtime on Fridays, and the odd Saturday.
I feel your pain.

Reminds me of the last place I worked. When I hired in I was put on night shift . Anyway we were working 10 hour shifts but Friday nights were shipping time. They would have semis parked on both sides of the entrance road . Well they had the people , before me , convinced that they had to stay until they had enough racks for every truck sitting there. Even if it took until noon the next day.

So Friday night shift starts and about 5 hours into it the lead man ( one step below the supervisor ) came around telling us to prepare for a long night.
I tell him I will work 12 hours and then I am going home. I had worked there a little over a month by then. He looked at me and tells me " We will see! " . Well my 12 hours were up and I headed for the time clock. He sees me and here he comes. What do you think you are doing yada , yada , yada. I tell him I am going home and I clock out. He tells me we will see about this come Monday.

To back track a little bit , everyone who worked near me and heard me tell the lead man I was only working 12 hours told me I would be fired. I laughed at them and told them they couldn't make you work more than 12 hours. That they could ask you if you would want to work more but not make you.

So what happened Monday when I showed up for my night shift you ask . Absolutely nothing. I went to my work station and did my job. No one could believe I didn't get in trouble. I knew they weren't going to push the issue because of the NLRB .

Sorry for the long rambling .

Reminds me of the last place I worked. When I hired in I was put on night shift . Anyway we were working 10 hour shifts but Friday nights were shipping time. They would have semis parked on both sides of the entrance road . Well they had the people , before me , convinced that they had to stay until they had enough racks for every truck sitting there. Even if it took until noon the next day.

So Friday night shift starts and about 5 hours into it the lead man ( one step below the supervisor ) came around telling us to prepare for a long night.
I tell him I will work 12 hours and then I am going home. I had worked there a little over a month by then. He looked at me and tells me " We will see! " . Well my 12 hours were up and I headed for the time clock. He sees me and here he comes. What do you think you are doing yada , yada , yada. I tell him I am going home and I clock out. He tells me we will see about this come Monday.

To back track a little bit , everyone who worked near me and heard me tell the lead man I was only working 12 hours told me I would be fired. I laughed at them and told them they couldn't make you work more than 12 hours. That they could ask you if you would want to work more but not make you.

So what happened Monday when I showed up for my night shift you ask . Absolutely nothing. I went to my work station and did my job. No one could believe I didn't get in trouble. I knew they weren't going to push the issue because of the NLRB .

Sorry for the long rambling .
Sometimes the little guys have to push back. Bravo!!

Back