testtest

What Carry Insurance do you have (if any), and what are the Pros and Cons you may have (other than costs)

BET7

Ronin
Founding Member
I am an Elite member of the USCCA carry insurance. When I first started carrying, I was told by a NRA instructor that I was talking lessons from (former Gunny in the Marine Corps and Brooklyn Detective), that I should strongly consider carry insurance if I was going to carry. To my knowledge there are 3 main organizations that offered this. USCCA, NRA CarryGuard and Texas Law Shield (that has Law Shields set up for your specific state). There may be more, but I chose USCCA and their top level of protection (they offer 3 plans), after reading about all 3 organization's plans. I'm interested in what other may have, how they like it (or don't), or if there are those of you that finds it totally unnecessary.

I talked with law enforcement several years ago, and was told that if you are involved in shooting someone, you will be sued. That was the reason I first started looking for coverage. I agree with your guy that coverage is very important.

I initially went with NRA's CarryGuard because 1) I wanted to support the NRA and 2) I thought with the NRA resources behind it, I would be in better hands than with a start-up. Unfortunately, I was wrong. CarryGuard is defunct, and what I found from the NRA staff was that the training was being looked at, but no word on if or when the NRA would again offer the coverage. I received a drop letter from the insurance company last week.

I like USCAA, and almost went with them, but wound up with CCW Safe. I struggled with the decision, but after quite a bit of research, decided CCW Safe was better for me. So far (after a few weeks), I am happy with CCW Safe and hope I never have to use it!

I have law shield, and i think the number one thing to make sure of is does the service provide UNLIMITED defense cost some services only cover up to 1M or whatever.
Law shield also has a expert witness option, covers criminal or civil, and covers defense of any type of weapon not just gun use.

The wife and I are USCCA members, and it was recommended by my two brothers, who have been members awhile, with one of them being a ret'd LEO, plus my neighbor who is a former LEO, told us about USCCA also. Those were all the recommendations I needed to join. :)

I talked with law enforcement several years ago, and was told that if you are involved in shooting someone, you will be sued. That was the reason I first started looking for coverage. I agree with your guy that coverage is very important.

I initially went with NRA's CarryGuard because 1) I wanted to support the NRA and 2) I thought with the NRA resources behind it, I would be in better hands than with a start-up. Unfortunately, I was wrong. CarryGuard is defunct, and what I found from the NRA staff was that the training was being looked at, but no word on if or when the NRA would again offer the coverage. I received a drop letter from the insurance company last week.

I like USCAA, and almost went with them, but wound up with CCW Safe. I struggled with the decision, but after quite a bit of research, decided CCW Safe was better for me. So far (after a few weeks), I am happy with CCW Safe and hope I never have to use it!
Thanks somorris, that's good to know. Yeah, I thought I heard that NRA CarryGuard went under. A friend of mine from NJ, who was a USCCA member, just got an email from them that his coverage was being dropped. I'm assuming this is a result of NJ like NY, putting pressure on the insurance companies that are underwriting the policies. I think we may see more of this if other states follow this practice.

Thanks somorris, that's good to know. Yeah, I thought I heard that NRA CarryGuard went under. A friend of mine from NJ, who was a USCCA member, just got an email from them that his coverage was being dropped. I'm assuming this is a result of NJ like NY, putting pressure on the insurance companies that are underwriting the policies. I think we may see more of this if other states follow this practice.
"I think we may see more of this if other states follow this practice." I don't live there, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear about Virginia being pressured to jump on that no-coverage practice.

I have law shield, and i think the number one thing to make sure of is does the service provide UNLIMITED defense cost some services only cover up to 1M or whatever.
Law shield also has a expert witness option, covers criminal or civil, and covers defense of any type of weapon not just gun use.
Thanks A..., I don't have Unlimited coverage (that would be nice), but I'm protected up to 2Mil. with my plan. USCCA also covers numerous weapons besides guns as well. I did hear good thing about Law Shield from a Gun Store buddy that has them. It also looked like they listed more lawyers in my state than I found at USCCA, but to date, fortunately, I haven't needed to use their services.

The wife and I are USCCA members, and it was recommended by my two brothers, who have been members awhile, with one of them being a ret'd LEO, plus my neighbor who is a former LEO, told us about USCCA also. Those were all the recommendations I needed to join. :)
That's good to hear ScottJ.

I think CarryGuard may have gotten caught up in the Ackermann mess the NRA ran into. I suspect Ackermann was pushing CarryGuard, and when they parted ways with the NRA, the program fell apart. CCW Safe advised just very recently that they would not be offering new coverage in NY and one other state (can't recall which one off hand). I also got an e-mail from Lockton Infinity trying to sell me insurance. They were the CarryGuard broker, so I guess they want to continue selling insurance even though they didn't say anything about offering training.

I think CarryGuard may have gotten caught up in the Ackermann mess the NRA ran into. I suspect Ackermann was pushing CarryGuard, and when they parted ways with the NRA, the program fell apart. CCW Safe advised just very recently that they would not be offering new coverage in NY and one other state (can't recall which one off hand). I also got an e-mail from Lockton Infinity trying to sell me insurance. They were the CarryGuard broker, so I guess they want to continue selling insurance even though they didn't say anything about offering training.
Interesting, thanks for the update. Yeah, I believe the NRATV channel also got caught up in that mess. I'm a NRA Lifetime member and would like to see top leadership replaced before I give them more $$$. I do sometimes contribute to NRA-ILA with a small donation every now and then. I hope it's not going into someone's pocket for vacation travel or whatnot. :cautious:

Thanks A..., I don't have Unlimited coverage (that would be nice), but I'm protected up to 2Mil. with my plan. USCCA also covers numerous weapons besides guns as well. I did hear good thing about Law Shield from a Gun Store buddy that has them. It also looked like they listed more lawyers in my state than I found at USCCA, but to date, fortunately, I haven't needed to use their services.
Unlimited defense costs is standard with law shield you dont have to pay extra.
(For your basic lawyer defense)

if you need expert witness, or investigators etc for your trial thats a extra thing

Last edited:
I've been using USCCA for a year or two now, mid tier, and hope to never have to use it, but that wallet card with the phone # on it gives me some peace of mind if I ever do have to defend myself with deadly force.

I've been using USCCA for a year or two now, mid tier, and hope to never have to use it, but that wallet card with the phone # on it gives me some peace of mind if I ever do have to defend myself with deadly force.
Agreed jfmorris. It’s the reason I bought it as well.

US Law Shield here

USLS will cover you for all legal weapons you may use to defend your self not just a firearm. Say you use a vehicle, asp taser knife. USLS also gives you a card with a number. If you have had a drink they will not drop you. No I am not talking about going to a bar carrying a gun. Lets say you have a drink at home and someone breaks in? Or You have a drink at dinner and in the parking lot you are mugged, You use a knife to defend your self you are still covered.

US Law Shield here

USLS will cover you for all legal weapons you may use to defend your self not just a firearm. Say you use a vehicle, asp taser knife. USLS also gives you a card with a number. If you have had a drink they will not drop you. No I am not talking about going to a bar carrying a gun. Lets say you have a drink at home and someone breaks in? Or You have a drink at dinner and in the parking lot you are mugged, You use a knife to defend your self you are still covered.
That's good to know xdman, thanks

"I think we may see more of this if other states follow this practice." I don't live there, but it wouldn't surprise me to hear about Virginia being pressured to jump on that no-coverage practice.
I’m afraid you are probably right on this ScottJ

Okay guys this is something I’m very versed in sense I carry two different ones. One was a promotion that’s fixing to fall off and I won’t be renewing (also was free to me) the other I gladly pay for. So I have the USCCA Elite membership everything they offer is wonderful but it has been told that with USCCA you have to pay it up front and they reimburse you. They do have an awesome ERT from the friend that I know (who has had to use them) said their ERT was there within an hour. I also pay for USLS aka US Law Shield. They have an unlimited $ amount in the instance you need it. They set up and pay for the lawyer needed. I haven’t heard of the time frame of the ERT but I assume it is as fast as USCCA. Another note I feel needs to be said is the USLS is cheeped then USCCA. So some things I think found that I like with the USCCA is first they have an app. Who doesn’t like the convenience of an app? It has a reciprocity map and a quick button to get the ERT. Their customer service is phenomenal and lastly you always get free stuff when you sign up with them. When you miss a payment with them they give you time to make it up (They understand life happens). With the USLS they don’t have an app and you don’t get free stuff. When you call them they answer the phone by name which you don’t get from USCCA but their customer service does leave some things to be desired. Lastly when you miss a payment or are late for a payment rather you automatically get an account pending termination email. This is discouraging when times get tough. For me tho they come up on top because they do pay directly there is no money out of pocket, they don’t have a limit you can use like USCCA and they have a lot more attorneys on file then USCCA.

Back