testtest

What Is G-10?

I was never a composites guy, but we had similar materials around airplanes called phenolic. If I remember what I overheard, from a distance, in the dark, there were different types, or grades, of phenolic material, and one was called “G10”.

I have a few pairs of G10 grips, and it sure appears similar, if not the same.

I wouldn’t compare it to plastic. It’s stronger and stiffer than any plastic I’ve ever seen. Even when a piece is cracked through, you’ve got some serious pulling and tearing to get it fully separated into two pieces.
I think it would make a great stock for a target/BR/varmint rifle.

A warning:
Do not grind/sand/file on that stuff without a respirator. And I mean a serious respirator, not a silly paper Covid mask. A face shield is a good idea, and at least gloves and long sleeves if not a Tyvek suit
I never read the MSDS on it because I didn’t work directly with it, but I guess it’s nasty stuff in dust form. The actual quote I remember one of those guys saying was “It’s wicked f___ing toxic”.
But most of those composite materials and components were.

I’m sure it’s safe to handle in solid form, and you can probably lick it if that’s what you like to do. But like most things, powdered form brings new problems.

Back