testtest

What Makes a Backpack Tactical?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
To understand what makes a backpack tactical, it helps to know what the word tactical means.

Tactical backpacks are made with military-inspired utility in mind. They come with features that originated in the armed forces like hydration pack compatibility, MOLLE webbing (Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment) and ammunition pouches.

All of these features are meant to offer distinct combat advantages.

1726429938024.png

When i hunted WMA's i always had a backpack to survive a couple nights in the woods in case i got lost. and it's not hard to do in those. they are huge and no roads to find. where i last hunted i got to know the woods well but if you did get lost all you had to do was walk in one direction and you would run into a road or skidder road eventually and it would lead you back to the gravel road..

Last edited:
When i hunted WMA's i always had a backpack to survive a couple nights in the woods in case i got lost. and it's not hard to do in those. they are huge and no roads to find. where i last hunted i got to know the woods well but if you did get lost all you had to do was walk in one direction and you would run into a road or skidder road eventually and it would lead you back to the dravel road..

+1

One should always be prepared for any unforeseen circumstances when going into the woods.

When i hunted WMA's i always had a backpack to survive a couple nights in the woods in case i got lost. and it's not hard to do in those. they are huge and no roads to find. where i last hunted i got to know the woods well but if you did get lost all you had to do was walk in one direction and you would run into a road or skidder road eventually and it would lead you back to the gravel road..
Definitely need a compass to stay on a straight line. Many lost folks tend to walk in circles when lost.

WMAs?

I've got one almost identical to the one pictured except it's black. Had the hydration pouch and very nice space for it's size, and worked very well when I was overseas. Unfortunately, it's been in storage since I don't know when and I discarded the pouch due to dry rot in spots. The pack itself is still in good shape.

My wife says I have a bit of a bag fetish and she’s not wrong. I have one of each type mentioned in the article. For one reason or another they all kind of suck in their own way. Typically Vertx, 5.11 and the type are over-engineered and are heavy before you are even out of the store and have put anything in them. End of the day, for me, a regular old backpack works best. A An Osprey I picked up in Australia and has been lugged tens of thousands of miles around the world is far and away the best bag I have for all uses.

Thanks for explaining. In some cop lingo a White Male Adult is a "WMA." I was confused.
Sorry i didn't answer you sooner, but yeah what @KillerFord1977 said. we hunted at a place called Trustin holder refuge and this place looked like prehistoric times. monster trees and vines hanging off them that were big as some trees. place was huge and you couldn't put any kind of vehicle in them. which back then there were no ATV's. we had to walk and you had to drag or cart a deer out of there.

Camelbak HAWG

Specs
19"H x 10.5"W x 10.2"D

Weight: 31.04 oz.

Capacity: 23L

Fits 17"-21" torsos

Fits 28"-46" waist/hips

Screenshot_20240916_105717_Samsung Internet.jpg

I bought this as a replacement for my Camelbak Rally Pack. Primarily because my rally pack is over 20 years old and it was just a little bit too small for all the stuff I was carrying. Plus this new one has a 3 l water bottle in it which means I don't go through the hassle of filtering water just for a Day hike in Cheyenne Canyon.

Screenshot_20240916_105733_Samsung Internet.jpg

I definitely like the fact that it keeps everything inside the pack instead of in the little mesh pockets on the outside. I like the fact that the material is tougher than what was on my rally pack. I didn't know it at the time but the rally pack was made for three day adventure racing it was built to be as light as possible and to hold just the bare minimum for a 3-day Adventure Race.

Screenshot_20240916_105748_Samsung Internet.jpg

I also like the fact that the padding on the back gives a little bit of structure to the pack. It's not quite framed but it supports the pack like it is. The straps are definitely cut better.

The only thing that I really don't like about My pack is that the only color available at Sportsman's Warehouse was that ugly baby **** brown. I would have preferred Black but it was on clearance and beggars can't be choosers.

Back