testtest

Wheel guns

I got my 4½” Standard Manufacturing SAA in .45 Colt out to the range today. I fired twenty rounds to familiarized myself with this new piece. With a new target at 15 yards, I fired 15 rounds at the center bull and five at the smaller bull to the left of center. I think we'll get along just fine.
JPEG%20image-96F33D17998C-1-X4.jpg

Mike

Last edited:
I carried this one (New Vaquero 45LC) quite a bit when I lived in New Mexico and then in Colorado. Finally got a holster for it that would offer better protection but I think I waited too long. Also took it with me to the Little Bighorn battlefield a couple years ago to take a photo of it on John Burkman's grave but even during Covid there was people everywhere so that didn't happen but I really like showing it to guys and telling them "I had that with me at the Little Bighorn." I'm not sure what the younger fellas think about that? ;)

Little Bighorn.jpg

I carried this one (New Vaquero 45LC) quite a bit when I lived in New Mexico and then in Colorado. Finally got a holster for it that would offer better protection but I think I waited too long. Also took it with me to the Little Bighorn battlefield a couple years ago to take a photo of it on John Burkman's grave but even during Covid there was people everywhere so that didn't happen but I really like showing it to guys and telling them "I had that with me at the Little Bighorn." I'm not sure what the younger fellas think about that? ;)

View attachment 38966
I'm not a younger person but I could tell you what I think of John Burkman. I'm certain you won't like it though.

I was on the "Greasy Grass" battlefield July 11 2019. I was armed but not with a wheel gun. It was surreal to me. I have read extensively about this place since I was about 7 years old. I felt compelled to walk the entire battlefield. If it were up to me I would have spent a couple days there instead of a couple hours. Unfortunately my dad, the person who started teaching me about this battle and plains indians in general, is elderly and was in no condition to do any walking. I will be going back, June 25 2026. If I was to do anything on any of the graves of the men of the 7th ( not actually graves by the way, just inaccurate approximations of where they fell) it would be celebratory in nature.

One of the fantastical things about being there is seeing just how far away "Crow's Nest" is from the battlefield. That's the spot where Bloody Knife first spotted the Lakota encampment. When you see the peak from the battlefield you get a feel for how large that encampment must have been to be spotted from that distance ( 13 miles away).

John Burkman is in fact buried in the cemetery there pard. Like you I have spent a great amount of my life reading about the battle. Actually had a 2nd cousin that was in M troop with Reno on the hill and survived the battle. I suspect from your comment that you may have Lakota or Cheyenne ancestry? I'm not trying to change anyone's view point and mine will remain the same but my having spent some time in the Army I will tell you that we go where we are sent regardless of our own political or personal thoughts and once the projectiles fly (bullets or arrows) you are fighting for the man to your left and right, not who's in the White House.
Thank you for your comment on my beat up old Ruger Cavalry model as I call it. I would love to go back to the "Greasy Grass" also, who knows, maybe I'll see you there and we could walk it together as Americans who love our country and its history, warts and all?

Burkman's accounts have many inaccuracies, to put it politely.
John Burkman is in fact buried in the cemetery there pard. Like you I have spent a great amount of my life reading about the battle. Actually had a 2nd cousin that was in M troop with Reno on the hill and survived the battle. I suspect from your comment that you may have Lakota or Cheyenne ancestry? I'm not trying to change anyone's view point and mine will remain the same but my having spent some time in the Army I will tell you that we go where we are sent regardless of our own political or personal thoughts and once the projectiles fly (bullets or arrows) you are fighting for the man to your left and right, not who's in the White House.
Thank you for your comment on my beat up old Ruger Cavalry model as I call it. I would love to go back to the "Greasy Grass" also, who knows, maybe I'll see you there and we could walk it together as Americans who love our country and its history, warts and all?

The only white survivors of the battle left before it really got started. There were two of them. Which one is your relative?
I have Lakota and Cherokee blood. Also German, Irish and English.

Burkman's accounts have many inaccuracies, to put it politely.

The only white survivors of the battle left before it really got started. There were two of them. Which one is your relative?
I have Lakota and Cherokee blood. Also German, Irish and English.
M troop was in the valley with Reno then on the hill, not with Custer's detachment. As I originally stated my cousin was in M troop in the valley and on the hill with Reno and then Benteen. Burkman was with the pack train and inaccuracies is the name of the game when discussing this battle. Hardly anyone agrees about much. This is from the National Park website:

M troop was in the valley with Reno then on the hill, not with Custer's detachment. As I originally stated my cousin was in M troop in the valley and on the hill with Reno and then Benteen. Burkman was with the pack train and inaccuracies is the name of the game when discussing this battle. Hardly anyone agrees about much. This is from the National Park website:

Those dudes missed the big show. Calling them survivors of the battle is a stretch.

The vast majority of the Lakota told the same story.

Back