testtest

When Your Gun Is Not Enough: Are You Actually Prepared?

"So, we wear a seat belt to help protect ourselves in the rare chance we are involved in a car accident. "
NO! I wear a seat belt because the GD, busy bodies, in the Gov. tells me I have to and fine the crap out of me of I don't, then the bleeping insurance co. take their pound of flesh. Controlling money grubbing @$$hats one and all.;)
Great article!(y)

"So, we wear a seat belt to help protect ourselves in the rare chance we are involved in a car accident. "
NO! I wear a seat belt because the GD, busy bodies, in the Gov. tells me I have to and fine the crap out of me of I don't, then the bleeping insurance co. take their pound of flesh. Controlling money grubbing @$$hats one and all.;)
Great article!(y)
the 3 times i was in an accident and would've worn my seatbelt, i would've been dead. my odds are good as to not wear 1! title is misleading and makes 1 think it's about you need a more powerful weapon.

I think this article was meant for this person:

IMG_7096.jpeg

I think the mistake many of us make is limiting our scope of training. Static shooting can be very enjoyable. But I try to separate recreational shooting from defensive training. As a defensive shooter it's so important to practice dynamic shooting from the holster where possible because that's real world. As I've grown older (retired LEO) I've tried to incorporate fitness. I go to the gym 4-5 days a week. That's just me. I don't expect others to follow suit and many can't for various health or practical reasons. That's understandable. But the more you can incorporate a whole body approach to defense the better. For me, I know there is a diminishing return with each new year as I move through my middle 60's. By incorporating physical fitness to my regimen I hope to stay a little bit dangerous for as long as I can.

I think this article was meant for this person:

View attachment 62498
Saturday night when we were here talking about this, I pointed out this woman as well as another woman as they were on video for a good amount of time as Trump was being pushed into the SUV. Now I am not the most highly trained individual, but I am trained enough to be able to recognize people reacting to a shite situation who have not been prepared for it. Neither of these women had a clue man. Like a deer in the headlights. We could make excuses for them I suppose, but it seems to me that if you are tasked with protecting someone, anyone, much less a president, you should absolutely have a clue.

Saturday night when we were here talking about this, I pointed out this woman as well as another woman as they were on video for a good amount of time as Trump was being pushed into the SUV. Now I am not the most highly trained individual, but I am trained enough to be able to recognize people reacting to a shite situation who have not been prepared for it. Neither of these women had a clue man. Like a deer in the headlights. We could make excuses for them I suppose, but it seems to me that if you are tasked with protecting someone, anyone, much less a president, you should absolutely have a clue.
Agree

I figured the title implied carrying a knife, taser, chem spray, or a personal security guard.
As for the security detail, a few members reminded me of Barney and the bullet in his pocket. It's not a week and some crazy s&*t is coming out.
I thought the article would be about the M1A. That would be my choice for concealed carry, were it not for the minor problem of how to conceal it.

Allow me throw my two cents worth in to this conversation if I may be so bold?

After thirty-years in law enforcement with a large agency, I saw my fair share of Officer-Involved-Shootings (OIS's). I started in law enforcement (when dinosaur's roamed the earth) carrying a .38 special six shot revolver. With the rise in gang violence and law enforcement being "outgunned," I was glad to see law enforcement go to the 9mm where, at the very least, you had more ammunition. However, it is also important to realize that the 9mm projectile is still the same size as a .38 caliber projectile. Although most law enforcement agencies gave up lead round nose bullets with the transition to 9mm, the 9mm JHP ammo is still pretty anemic, in my humble opinion. Look at the many law enforcement OIS's that are now available, thanks to Body Worn Camera's, and how many suspects remain vertical even after being hit with one or more 9mm projectiles. Were I "King for a Day" I would mandate every law enforcement agency carry a .45 ACP+P JHP (Bonded) ammunition. That would be simply their sidearm! Every officer should also be equipped with an AR-15 but that is another topic for another day.

Now I don't want to start the 9mm V .45 ACP debate here in this forum and there is truly one key rule in any shooting and that is "shot placement." However, when things are hectic and you don't have time to ensure that projectile is a perfectly placed shot, the .45 ACP is overall a better round (no matter where it hits the bad guy). There are those who say the bullet is "slow" and may not expand properly. That can be true with shorter barrels and use of standard .45 ACP JHP's. However, use of .45 ACP+P ammo is a good counter to this argument, gives excellent expansion, and even if thick clothing is worn, the penetration is still excellent.

One of the best examples I have seen of the anemic qualities of the 9mm projectile is in a video found by going to your favorite search engine and entering: "Video: Crazed Man Attacking Deputy Soaks Up 12 Rounds Before He's Stopped." You can also try this link:

When you see the Deputy fighting with the suspect and begin shooting, you understand the old adage, "What does a guy do after being shot with a 9mm? The same thing he was doing before being shot with a 9mm." It is simply amazing to watch the video and the deranged, unhinged suspect continues to march at the Deputy despite being repeatedly shot (center mass) by the Deputy.

That being said, another great article is one of testimony by Sergeant Timothy Gramin. Tim typically carried 47 rounds of .45 ACP ammo on his person while on-duty. He got into a shootout with a suspect and despite several life ending good "shot placement" hits, the suspect continued to engage in the gun battle until Tim was out of ammo. Google: "Why One Cop Now Carriers 145 Rounds of Ammo On The Job." The .45 ACP is no cure all round but I believe the ability to change a suspect from remaining vertical to horizontal is better than the 9mm.

Why one cop carries 145 rounds of ammo on the job
Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins’ life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on duty.
You can also try this link:

The .45 ACP was developed for its knock down power during the 1913 Phillipine-American War. The Muslim (or Moros) of Sulu used pseudo bullet resistant vests of bamboo and used pain inhibiting drugs to better survive being shot with the .38 caliber handguns carried at the time. John Browning designed the Colt .45 Caliber handgun which was found to provide more knock down power against charging Moros tribesmen.

How the Philippine-American War Led to the Invention of the Colt .45 Handgun
The United States of America was born from an armed revolution fought by volunteer armies against a monarch that had

Again, I'm just giving my two cents worth but the difference between a 9mm projectile expanding to about .50 of an inch (at best) and a .45 ACP projectile expanding to about .75 (and the weight) is quite a difference!

When the department I used to work for allowed carrying 9mm, I went to the 9mm immediately. A bit later, they also allowed carrying the .45 ACP and again, I took advantage of the opportunity immediately! I carry a .45 ACP with .45 ACP+P JHP (Bonded) ammo everywhere I go and always.

Be careful out there...

Last edited:

After thirty-years in law enforcement with a large agency, I saw my fair share of Officer-Involved-Shootings (OIS's). I started in law enforcement (when dinosaur's roamed the earth) carrying a .38 special six shot revolver. With the rise in gang violence and law enforcement being "outgunned," I was glad to see law enforcement go to the 9mm where, at the very least, you had more ammunition. However, it is also important to realize that the 9mm projectile is still the same size as a .38 caliber projectile. Although most law enforcement agencies gave up lead round nose bullets with the transition to 9mm, the 9mm JHP ammo is still pretty anemic, in my humble opinion. Look at the many law enforcement OIS's that are now available, thanks to Body Worn Camera's, and how many suspects remain vertical even after being hit with one or more 9mm projectiles. Were I "King for a Day" I would mandate every law enforcement agency carry a .45 ACP+P JHP (Bonded) ammunition. That would be simply their sidearm! Every officer should also be equipped with an AR-15 but that is another topic for another day.

Now I don't want to start the 9mm V .45 ACP debate here in this forum and there is truly one key rule in any shooting and that is "shot placement." However, when things are hectic and you don't have time to ensure that projectile is a perfectly placed shot, the .45 ACP is overall a better round (no matter where it hits the bad guy). There are those who say the bullet is "slow" and may not expand properly. That can be true with shorter barrels and use of standard .45 ACP JHP's. However, use of .45 ACP+P ammo is a good counter to this argument, gives excellent expansion, and even if thick clothing is worn, the penetration is still excellent.

One of the best examples I have seen of the anemic qualities of the 9mm projectile is in a video found by going to your favorite search engine and entering: "Video: Crazed Man Attacking Deputy Soaks Up 12 Rounds Before He's Stopped." You can also try this link:

When you see the Deputy fighting with the suspect and begin shooting, you understand the old adage, "What does a guy do after being shot with a 9mm? The same thing he was doing before being shot with a 9mm." It is simply amazing to watch the video and the deranged, unhinged suspect continues to march at the Deputy despite being repeatedly shot (center mass) by the Deputy.

That being said, another great article is one of testimony by Sergeant Timothy Gramin. Tim typically carried 47 rounds of .45 ACP ammo on his person while on-duty. He got into a shootout with a suspect and despite several life ending good "shot placement" hits, the suspect continued to engage in the gun battle until Tim was out of ammo. Google: "Why One Cop Now Carriers 145 Rounds of Ammo On The Job." The .45 ACP is no cure all round but I believe the ability to change a suspect from remaining vertical to horizontal is better than the 9mm.

Before the call that changed Sergeant Timothy Gramins’ life forever, he typically carried 47 rounds of handgun ammunition on his person while on duty.

The .45 ACP was developed for its knock down power during the 1913 Phillipine-American War. The Muslim (or Moros) of Sulu used pseudo bullet resistant vests of bamboo and used pain inhibiting drugs to better survive being shot with the .38 caliber handguns carried at the time. John Browning designed the Colt .45 Caliber handgun which was found to provide more knock down power against charging Moros tribesmen.

The United States of America was born from an armed revolution fought by volunteer armies against a monarch that had

Again, I'm just giving my two cents worth but the difference between a 9mm projectile expanding to about .50 of an inch (at best) and a .45 ACP projectile expanding to about .75 (and the weight) is quite a difference!

When the department I used to work for allowed carrying 9mm, I went to the 9mm immediately. A bit later, they also allowed carrying the .45 ACP and again, I took advantage of the opportunity immediately! I carry a .45 ACP with .45 ACP+P JHP (Bonded) ammo everywhere I go and always.

Be careful out there...
When my department allowed officers to transition to 9mm in the guise of a 5904/Beretta 92, they issued 88 grain soft points, later went to 147 grain HPs. About the time I was retired for injuries they went to 115 grain bullets. Marked suspect for evidence with the last, high shoulder hit. Didn’t slow him down, although he ditched his Bryco 9mm, which jammed after 4 rounds. In all honesty I felt I would have done better with my wheelgun. As with every firearm you carried, issue or personal owned, had to be converted to DAO. However, once you mastered the skill set, you realized that thumb cocking was not necessary. BTW, a shoutout to my brothers in blue, tan, green, whatever; we are a BROTHERHOOD!

Also to be mentioned. In the early 70s, I remember seeing a training re-enactment of a Newport Beach shooting. Officer carried a .45, with 2 spare mags. Answering a 459 there now (burglary) call he saw a 500 pound biker wanabee exiting a door. Fat boy had a MAC 9, but he could not get out the door with the pistol deployed. He fired the pistol from inside the room, in the general direction of the officer. Officer returned fire, emptied the mag and reloaded, emptied that and reloaded. Meanwhile, fat boy was still trying to get out the door to shoot officers ( this was before vests). Officer fired FFL a few more shots but was reluctant to empty mag as his back-up was a .25. Fat boy slowed down and finally expired. Took his back-up and the officer to finally drag fats out of the doorway. All .45 rounds fired had hit their mark and suspect had a 30 round mag, with a few rounds still ready to go. Film did show the carcass at the morgue. Bullets had penetrated well, but fat slowed them so no vitals were hit. Probably not the average shooting, mine mentioned in another post was a scrawny dude, illegally here from Belize.

Be careful out there...
.45 makes sense to me, although all my experience is with big game.

May I ask, why +P? Better penetration?

This is exactly why I'm taking my Colt Commander out of the safe more and more. I feel myself lucky as I got a couple SOB holsters from Dillon Precision before they quit carring them. The holsters carry my Commander and full size 1911 almost horizontal to my belt. Before someone jumps on my behind about getting a spinal injury from SOB holsters, I got knocked down while wearing the holster and yes I felt the pain in my back. The holsters now ride to the side of my backbone and still "almost disappear" with a tee shirt or light jacket over them. And with modern HP's. I'll take my 1911's over these new striker fired guns any day, last count I have 8 Glocks and 6 S&W M&P's.

.45 makes sense to me, although all my experience is with big game.

May I ask, why +P? Better penetration?
Good question on the better penetration! The .45 ACP +P ammo does increase the velocity 100 fps but the energy and penetration power is substantially increased as per many tests performed using ballistic gelatin. There are some theories and test that demonstrate .45 ACP will not expand properly due to the slow velocity of the projectile, particularly when clogged with clothing or tissue. As cited as an example of this very phenomenon was used in the Newport Beach incident (above) about the 500 lb biker who was shot numerous times and his fat alone slowed the .45 projectiles down sufficient to prevent sufficient expansion and penetration of vital organs. My theory, supported by tests using ballistic gelatin, is that .45 ACP +P will deliver excellent velocity while allowing for expansion of the hollow-point ammo as well as sufficiently penetrate to accomplish neutralization of the desired permanent variety. For now, I am using Federal .45 ACP +P JHP with an advertised velocity of about 950 fps and with 461 ft lbs of energy. Although "not quite" the velocity of 10mm, it is getting the .230 grain Jacketed Hollow Point moving along and whistling Dixie. There is a new ammo being produced by Winchester called "Ranger" and law enforcement credentials are required to make the purchase. The .45 ACP +P ammo advertises a .230 grain JHP at a velocity of 990 fps and 495 ft lbs of energy. I am anxious to get my hands on the new Winchester ammo I just purchased. I am also looking at the Glock Model 29 Gen 5. When combined with 10mm .230 grain projectiles, it advertises 1075 fps and 590 ft lbs of energy.

Be careful out there...
I like this post quite a bit. Yes the 45acp +P is a fine round and makes up part of my carry choices. In its defense, the 9mm is still an adequate round and continues to provide a viable choice for handguns ( I prefer +P as I've stated in other posts) and as always shot placement is king.

Back