testtest

When Your Gun Is Not Enough: Are You Actually Prepared?

Good question on the better penetration! The .45 ACP +P ammo does increase the velocity 100 fps but the energy and penetration power is substantially increased as per many tests performed using ballistic gelatin. There are some theories and test that demonstrate .45 ACP will not expand properly due to the slow velocity of the projectile, particularly when clogged with clothing or tissue. As cited as an example of this very phenomenon was used in the Newport Beach incident (above) about the 500 lb biker who was shot numerous times and his fat alone slowed the .45 projectiles down sufficient to prevent sufficient expansion and penetration of vital organs. My theory, supported by tests using ballistic gelatin, is that .45 ACP +P will deliver excellent velocity while allowing for expansion of the hollow-point ammo as well as sufficiently penetrate to accomplish neutralization of the desired permanent variety. For now, I am using Federal .45 ACP +P JHP with an advertised velocity of about 950 fps and with 461 ft lbs of energy. Although "not quite" the velocity of 10mm, it is getting the .230 grain Jacketed Hollow Point moving along and whistling Dixie. There is a new ammo being produced by Winchester called "Ranger" and law enforcement credentials are required to make the purchase. The .45 ACP +P ammo advertises a .230 grain JHP at a velocity of 990 fps and 495 ft lbs of energy. I am anxious to get my hands on the new Winchester ammo I just purchased. I am also looking at the Glock Model 29 Gen 5. When combined with 10mm .230 grain projectiles, it advertises 1075 fps and 590 ft lbs of energy.
I don’t think they ever mentioned the.45 load. Being in the early 70s, I assume standard velocity FMJs.

Good question on the better penetration! The .45 ACP +P ammo does increase the velocity 100 fps but the energy and penetration power is substantially increased as per many tests performed using ballistic gelatin. There are some theories and test that demonstrate .45 ACP will not expand properly due to the slow velocity of the projectile, particularly when clogged with clothing or tissue. As cited as an example of this very phenomenon was used in the Newport Beach incident (above) about the 500 lb biker who was shot numerous times and his fat alone slowed the .45 projectiles down sufficient to prevent sufficient expansion and penetration of vital organs. My theory, supported by tests using ballistic gelatin, is that .45 ACP +P will deliver excellent velocity while allowing for expansion of the hollow-point ammo as well as sufficiently penetrate to accomplish neutralization of the desired permanent variety. For now, I am using Federal .45 ACP +P JHP with an advertised velocity of about 950 fps and with 461 ft lbs of energy. Although "not quite" the velocity of 10mm, it is getting the .230 grain Jacketed Hollow Point moving along and whistling Dixie. There is a new ammo being produced by Winchester called "Ranger" and law enforcement credentials are required to make the purchase. The .45 ACP +P ammo advertises a .230 grain JHP at a velocity of 990 fps and 495 ft lbs of energy. I am anxious to get my hands on the new Winchester ammo I just purchased. I am also looking at the Glock Model 29 Gen 5. When combined with 10mm .230 grain projectiles, it advertises 1075 fps and 590 ft lbs of energy.
All good choices. One of my favorite adds quite a bit of fps, Atomic 185 gr HP +P @ 1225 fps rendering a rated 616 ft lbs of energy.

Thank you. Useful insights. My thinking has been that the larger diameter bullet hole matters, and this holds whether bullet expands or not. For when I carry .45 ACP in bear country I have Buffalo Bore outdoorsman, which is +P hardcast flat nose.

Judging from published gelatin tests HP’s seem to vary in performance across brands and calibers. For .45 ACP it looks to me like Federal HST and Gold Dots have best performance.

For handgun hunting .45 ACP isn’t my choice but I’ve successfully taken white tails with it when it was all I had, using a good 230 gr HP. At 40 yards it penetrated well. It seems to me roughly equivalent to old muzzleloaders in .45 or .50.

Back