testtest

Which M1A version is best?

I'm in the same boat. I think I'd prefer Scout version, but I'd have to order it. My LGS has a standard version in stock and I could have it now, if I so choose. Maybe I'll just flip a coin.

18" Scout for the win!

Remove the scout mount and cut out hand guard... replace them with a GI hand guard or a scout hand guard (SHG). The 18" barrel will reliably reach out and accurately touch out to 700 yards or so... much further if you have above average skills.

I have mine in an aluminum chassis stock, it's set up for a red dot sight and a sound suppressor.

IMG_1491.JPG

18" Scout for the win!

Remove the scout mount and cut out hand guard... replace them with a GI hand guard or a scout hand guard (SHG). The 18" barrel will reliably reach out and accurately touch out to 700 yards or so... much further if you have above average skills.

I have mine in an aluminum chassis stock, it's set up for a red dot sight and a sound suppressor.

View attachment 52743
Nice! That the M14.ca stock/chassis and handguard?

My first NEW gun, and I mean not a "new to me" , or MILSURP, was a Loaded Standard M1A, at the time, 24 years ago, it was the best value, mainly because Springfield was selling them at the same price as the Standard model.
I've owned about four or five other M1A's in the intervening years, but the Loaded Standard has never left my collection, and never will.

The Scout Squad I think is the do-it-all M1A. But they're not known for their accuracy, probably because of the picatinny scout mount attached to the barrel.
I don't know...10 rounds after pulling my Scout Squad out of the box, on iron sights I was ringing 12" steel with every pull at 425 yards with regular ol' white box ammo.

With a 2-7x32mm Burris Scout optic and Hornady A-Max bullets loaded for around 2600fps, 500 yards on 8" steel (painted blaze orange so I can see the damn thing) isn't even really a challenge...if I had a longer range I could shoot at, I'd probably try full sized silhouettes at 800 or 1000, but the Burris scope would probably run out of elevation without re-zeroing.

I can only imagine it would be easier on a standard M1A with ~150fps more velocity at the muzzle.

Back