testtest

Who Carries Old Guns?

By old gun I mean something that you picked up 10 - 15+ years ago and it is still your primary or only EDC. Have you modified it? Have you dragged it kicking and screaming into the 21st century so that you can keep your old-school auto or wheelgun but have added a light or red dot when it wasn't designed for it?

I'm asking because I'm considering going with a 3rd Gen Smith 6906 (my ADHD is reacting with my nostalgia). With a red dot of course. Hopefully one day a light. So I got to thinking. After I put the fire out I figured I would ask and see if this something anyone else does.

In comparison, most of the cops I work with carry hip and modern guns off duty. Not that this is bad. All are approved and are proven to be good guns. Most aren't "gun enthusiasts" per se. They don't really care as long as it functions, also not a bad thing. They just picked up smaller versions of their duty guns or just asked the 1,000 year old range guy "What's good?". From there, as long as they can make it tacticool with the addition of a dot, a light and a kydex appendix carry holster they are good to go.

On a side note, if I figure out how to add a weapon light without the use of ducktape, bailing wire or JB Weld its a "For sure" thing that will happen. I know I could carry a TSW5906... but I'm old. As much as I want to carry an older DA/SA tank the TSW5906 is all steel. Full sized all steel. I mean it would double as a small club in a pinch but I will try and stick with the aluminum frame 6906.

Bought new in the 70's
1726591179557.jpeg

Speaking of three inch K frames, my old driving rig from back in the dark ages. Inside the waistband is about the only way I can hide anything, being a towering 5 foot five. As you know, seatbelts and strong side hip don't go together. And, not that I would ever break a law, but before the CCW was a common thing it would be a great force multiplier to hand off a K frame to my passenger. Everybody that would be riding with me would know the drill on a Smith and Wesson...not so with a hammer drop semi automatic or a squeeze cocker H&K. So this Bianchi rig and a matched pair of S&W Model 65 three inch guns were under my blazer on every road trip.

Attachments

• Driving Rig Two.JPG
    Driving Rig Two.JPG
    78.3 KB · Views: 12
I was carrying a 90s HiPower and a S&W 442 of the same vintage. My eyes forced me to go to a red dot gun so the HiPower has been (probably temporarily) retired. The 442 only recently got replaced when I got a S&W 642UC.

Now and then when I need a slim gun, I will carry an HK P7M8. I guess that’s not exactly new.

If I’m on a revolver kick, it gets older. That’s one of two S&W 65s from the late 70s backed up by a S&W 12 from the late 60s.

I pride myself on my low risk lifestyle these days, being old as the hills. Sometimes if I am just running over to visit a friend I carry a mouse gun. 1950's era Colt Cobra. The sights are easier for me to see than the 5 shot J frame Smiths.

Attachments

• Cobra target.jpg
    Cobra target.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
Speaking of three inch K frames, my old driving rig from back in the dark ages. Inside the waistband is about the only way I can hide anything, being a towering 5 foot five. As you know, seatbelts and strong side hip don't go together. And, not that I would ever break a law, but before the CCW was a common thing it would be a great force multiplier to hand off a K frame to my passenger. Everybody that would be riding with me would know the drill on a Smith and Wesson...not so with a hammer drop semi automatic or a squeeze cocker H&K. So this Bianchi rig and a matched pair of S&W Model 65 three inch guns were under my blazer on every road trip.
Very, very nice!

Back