testtest

Why Is This Ayoob’s Favorite 1911 for Training?

Lots of great points. As an aside I had zero interest in 9 mm 1911s until a friend brought one to the range and let me try it. The handling/trigger of the 1911 at reduced recoil and training ammo for HALF the price of .45? What is not to like? I got one soon after, it is great fun and a good gun to introduce new shooters to centerfire after they are very comfortable with rimfires.

The Range Officer in .45 acp is an amazing platform and a joy to shoot. Recently bought a used one and replaced springs added a titanium firing pin, etc (mainly because I didn’t know the gun’s history). I also added some Wilson combat G10 gray black grips which look awesome. The thing shoots incredibly well.

Springfield 1911-a1 MilSpec .45, not what I walked in to buy as my first, but the Jarhead behind the counter preached why I should for what I wanted. After jumping through BS government paperwork hoops, and missing a sale, I was right back at the shop 1 day after the government declared "oops, we were wrong. Sorry you had to wait another 90 days." They didn't really apologize. Just "allowed" me my 2A rights (finally). Anyway, this 1911-a1 was my first personal and will remain my #1 favorite. I may have other 2A equipment which may come and go, but this is the one they will have to pry .............hands.

Mas states he is using the McMillan hand tilt in the 3rd photo. But he's just trying to make it seem like he did that with intent. He always, reflexively holds the gun sideways when he wears his cap backward; but I'm not sure why...

I’ve owned the Beretta 92FS, now a G, for quite some time. My stock 92FS went to Wilson for rework and is the best shooter I’ve got. It came with me to both MAG40 and 80 and every Seattle Firearms Academy class I attend. I indeed like the 1911 Garrison as well, but at 45 cents a round in .45ACP the costs go up for a 600 round class over the 9mm Beretta.

It’s good to be proficient in many different makes and models of handgun, shotgun, and rifle classes. Who is to say you will always be using your gun in a gunfight.

I'd like to hear what Honest Outlaw has to say. I'm not sure what they think the benefit of these paid advertisements are.
I can understand why you look askance at a laudatory article about a Springfield gun in The Armory Life. But, I can tell you that Mas really has carried that gun and that it is a fine shooting iron. I had the good fortune to shoot it when the front sight flew off my Stock Gun at the Pin Shoot (a known weakness of the Series '70 Colt Gold Cup National Match* when fired with +P ammo) and Mas was gracious enough to loan me his carry gun to complete the event. Suffice to say that his gun shoots better than I do.

If you want to be critical, the real problem is that Mas can make most guns shoot well. He typically shoots perfect qualifiers with any gun he might have at hand.

*In fairness, the Series '70 GCNM was designed for Match Semi-Wadcutter target rounds and that gun had seen 2900 rounds of full-power ammo, with nearly 1000 rounds of it +P.

I got to meet Mr. Ayoob at a Vegas GSSF match. He's a real deal shooter and both he and his wife were very warm and pleasant folks to speak with. I have a couple of his books and I agree with 90% of the information he puts out to students on shooting skills and 100% on legal issues.

Happy to see he likes the RO, that is my first handgun which I got in the end of 2020 (after searching for stock for months) was this Range Officer, and not long after it was discontinued. I feel like I got in on a classic right before it was pulled. Even more amazing, KY Gun Co listed it for $120 under MSRP. In 2020. Gift from the Lord right there! May sound weird, but it's still my one and only, other than a break-action air rifle for pigeon control. ;)

Just babbling... back to work!

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Why Is This Ayoob’s Favorite 1911 for Training?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/massad-ayoob-favorite-1911/.

Have to agree with Mr. Ayoob. I got one on a close out deal from Sports Authority here before they closed up shop. Good deal at $629.00 for the whole kit. Having said that I did notice some early issues with light primer strikes and the black front sight not being that great on dark targets. I took it apart and changed out the firing pin to titanium, new firing pin spring and mainspring. It was back on track next trip to the range, but I still wasn't too stoked with that black front sight on dark targets. I found a guy in Kennesaw, Georgia with a front sight upgrade with an interchangeable green, yellow or orange monofilament front that was a match for the adjustable rear leaf. Harrison Sights. He put it on the slide and it was back in 2 weeks. BIG DIFFERNCE with that bright orange front sight and it shoots dead on from the holster in timed drills. I shot a 54 out of 54 round CCW shoot test with it here for my carry permit. Three different targets at 3, 7 and 10 yds. Barricade strong hand, weak hand etc., etc. Really like the RO and did notice it's not in the S.A. lineup anymore but I'm keeping mine.

Back