testtest

Will Your Mags Fail You?

Will be purchasing my first 1911 single stack 9mm soon, probably from SA. Have to ask: in the third video of this article I watched in amazement as the shooter pressed something to unlock the slide forward. With my guns I have to physically rack the slide forward after it locks back due to an empty mag. Is what I witnessed a standard feature of 1911's?

Will be purchasing my first 1911 single stack 9mm soon, probably from SA. Have to ask: in the third video of this article I watched in amazement as the shooter pressed something to unlock the slide forward. With my guns I have to physically rack the slide forward after it locks back due to an empty mag. Is what I witnessed a standard feature of 1911's?

Slide stop/release. The gun will lock open after the last round is fired. Drop mag, load fresh mag, hit slide release to peel a fresh round off and close the slide.

That said, I almost never use the slide stop as a release. I was trained to use the slingshot method. Pull slide to the rear and let it go. Barring an emergency, like support hand being immobilized. And never drop a slide on an empty chamber with a 1911.

Slide stop/release. The gun will lock open after the last round is fired. Drop mag, load fresh mag, hit slide release to peel a fresh round off and close the slide.

That said, I almost never use the slide stop as a release. I was trained to use the slingshot method. Pull slide to the rear and let it go. Barring an emergency, like support hand being immobilized. And never drop a slide on an empty chamber with a 1911.
I should've realized that however am fairly new to handguns and left-handed, so for me to use that method the slide stop would need to be ambi. Thank you for your time and expertise -

I’ve been shooting for 6 1/2 decades. Thus far, the only Mag failures I’ve ever seen were caused by (1) cheapo poorly made mags and (2) mags that have been damaged by being dropped on a hard service during competition. These days I’m not in competition and I do not drop mags free and allow them to fall. Buy good stuff, make sure it works, and it will last a long time. Buy junk and or abuse mags and you WILL have problems. I’ve seen very high quality mags ruined after falling lip first onto a concrete pad (and after being stepped on🙄). I’ve also seen WW2 vintage 1911 mags that have had a kazillion rounds run through them and still work perfectly. Like the man said “take care of your weapon (and it’s components) and it will take care of you..😊

I have watched lots of YouTube folks press the mag release and drop the mag on the ground. Not me. The metal is pretty thin and could be fairly easily damaged if it hits just right. For me, it is a way too critical component to mistreated.
Agree…..☝️☝️100%…I would and have never let my mags hit the ground like you see some do, like you said, metal is thin and plus they are a critical part.

I have watched lots of YouTube folks press the mag release and drop the mag on the ground. Not me. The metal is pretty thin and could be fairly easily damaged if it hits just right. For me, it is a way too critical component to mistreated.
I’m just gonna throw this out there.

You will fight how you train.

This important, so I’ll say it again:

You WILL fight how you train.

Why is this important?

A while back, when revolvers were the standard LE issue…in training, officers would drop their brass into their hands, and then put the empties in their pocket before reloading, so the wouldn’t have to pick their empties off the ground.

Then officers were killed with empties in their pocket.

You fall back on practice.

Mags are CHEAP.

Let ‘em hit the f’in ground; if they get mucked up, buy new ones.

You do not rise to the occasion; you fall back on what you do at the range.

Practice how you intend to fight.

I totally agree with Hans. My life isn't worth it, mags are cheap. Whether I'm training people or I'm the student I let my empty mags fall when ejected. I train like I am going to fight and that's how I instruct students when I teach. That's just my two cents...
It’s a surprisingly hard concept for a lot of people to wrap their head around; I’m not ashamed to admit I was one, until I had it beaten into me by someone who had literally been there and done that numerous times (and never bothered getting the t-shirt)…

You know how much it sucks to s-can a P7M13 mag because it got f’d during an emergency change?

As the gentleman training me said—“Would you prefer a (expletive) bullet in your (expletive) gob because you were fretting about dinging your precious magazine?!? Get your (expletive) gun back in the (expletive) fight and don’t (expletive) (expletive) (expletive) worry about (expletive) damaging the (expletive…etc) mag for (expletive)’s sake!!!”.

That lesson has stuck with me.

In a self defense situation I think one is more likely to perish from failure to react in time than from magazine failure. While thankfully never being faced with an attack involving firearms or blade, I have been confronted with physical violence more than once. As a bonified redneck, a quick delivery of a broken nose, or "throat poke" usually allows for a quick retreat. Not to mention avoidance of law enforcement and attached special treatment to follow.

In a self defense situation I think one is more likely to perish from failure to react in time than from magazine failure. While thankfully never being faced with an attack involving firearms or blade, I have been confronted with physical violence more than once. As a bonified redneck, a quick delivery of a broken nose, or "throat poke" usually allows for a quick retreat. Not to mention avoidance of law enforcement and attached special treatment to follow.
Yeah, but those examples don’t include using a firearm; if you do, you have to be prepared for a failure.

Mr. Murphy is always waiting in the wings, and delights in mucking with the unprepared.

Prepare for it to not work out in your favor.

Back