testtest

XD Vortex Venom OSP Mounting Plate Questions

I just received this plate in the mail from SA for my XD-M Elite 4.5 OSP 9mm. It came with no instructions just the plate and invoice. I was wondering what should the torque value be to mount the plate to the pistol? If I use loctight blue would that affect the torque value? I was going to guess 15 in/lbs but decided to ask first!

Thanks!!!

I just received this plate in the mail from SA for my XD-M Elite 4.5 OSP 9mm. It came with no instructions just the plate and invoice. I was wondering what should the torque value be to mount the plate to the pistol? If I use loctight blue would that affect the torque value? I was going to guess 15 in/lbs but decided to ask first!

Thanks!!!
I'm pretty sure SA's recommendation for attaching the "WASP" to the OSP Hellcat is 15 in/lbs with a small dab of blue "Loctight". It only takes a tiny dab mind you, and NO it won't affect the torque value.

Don't know for certain that spec would also apply to your needs, but likely so.

As a general guide, usually install with 12 to 15 in. lb's torque with blue thread locker. (It can vary per mfg's instructions.)
Generally let gun sit for 24 hours before using for thread locker to set up bond.

NOTE: Be careful on screw length if screw's protruding underneath too far, it may cause an obstruction. Can usually check fit with toothpick, paperclip for length through screw holes, then compare lengths to what have and what needed. - Always check for obstructions and fit of installation before firing.

As a general guide, usually install with 12 to 15 in. lb's torque with blue thread locker. (It can vary per mfg's instructions.)
Generally let gun sit for 24 hours before using for thread locker to set up bond.

NOTE: Be careful on screw length if screw's protruding underneath too far, it may cause an obstruction. Can usually check fit with toothpick, paperclip for length through screw holes, then compare lengths to what have and what needed. - Always check for obstructions and fit of installation before firing.
Thanks for the tips! So for the plate that attaches to the pistol that would be 15 and then the red dot that attaches to the plate would also be 15?

Torque is a screw/bolt stretch value based on thread size and pitch ..... I'm assuming both sets of screws you're dealing with are the same length and diameter, thus would likely be the same torque value.

Since I've not actually seen them, I'm guessing. Although I think it is a relatively educated guess. Get a 'FAT' wrench screwdriver, don't guess. Those tiny screws will strip before you even feel it.

Good luck !!!

I contacted SA and they said use 15 in lbs. That's what I'll go with and our users above had already recommended that value. Thanks everyone and especially for checking for obstructions!

Torque is a screw/bolt stretch value based on thread size and pitch ..... I'm assuming both sets of screws you're dealing with are the same length and diameter, thus would likely be the same torque value.

Since I've not actually seen them, I'm guessing. Although I think it is a relatively educated guess. Get a 'FAT' wrench screwdriver, don't guess. Those tiny screws will strip before you even feel it.

Good luck !!!
"Torque is a screw/bolt stretch value based on thread size and pitch."

Some of it is JJ,
But, it can be a bit more involved sometimes. Some torque is very critical while some isn't so much - I'm far from an expert on all the values too. Usually best to contact mfg. for info. when in doubt. Wish arriving at torque settings was easier.

More involved? Yes, it can be. "Compressive strength" can also come into play. Some torque settings are with similar materials. Some torque setting is based on dry or lubricated fasteners too. Then, with dissimilar materials, like connecting aluminum, steel and / or plastic, it can get trickier. Because torque is also dependent on the weakest material used and should be calculated based on that. For cases when a self-locking feature is used for smaller fasteners, the "torque amount" is left to the individual with sufficient experience and training to know how to tell when something is tight enough without causing damage. So, some trial and error can come into play too?

Back