testtest

XDM/XDM Elite Future

Hey yall. I have owned three different XDM Elites, and now only have the 5.25 and 4.5 standard models. The 4.5 was purchased around 2021-2022 and the 5.25 comp model in November of '24.

I am extremely pleased with these two handguns, and do all I need for defensive handguns to do. Both have always been 100% reliable. I am also completely invested in this handgun platform, with holsters and plenty of extra mags for each.

With the introduction of the Echelon last year, Springfield has now discontinued the XDM Elite standard line, although the 10mm variants and CA approved models still seem to be in production.

As a result, I am curious as to the factory support and parts availability for these handguns. They were in production for the better part of two decades, and still are to some extent. My concern is factory support/service going forward.

I am extremely interested in the new Echelon, and have handled one in the LGS. From what I have researched, the Echelon is better than the XDM/XDM Elite in almost every category. I have contemplated investing in this new platform, but to do so would result in a high cost, approximately $850, including handgun/holster/several spare magazines. That amount of money could purchase upwards of four cases of 9mm ammo. The only reasoning I see in investing in the new platform would be factory support going forward and also to dabble in the use of a red dot.

Any input/insight would be greatly appreciated!

Hey yall. I have owned three different XDM Elites, and now only have the 5.25 and 4.5 standard models. The 4.5 was purchased around 2021-2022 and the 5.25 comp model in November of '24.

I am extremely pleased with these two handguns, and do all I need for defensive handguns to do. Both have always been 100% reliable. I am also completely invested in this handgun platform, with holsters and plenty of extra mags for each.

With the introduction of the Echelon last year, Springfield has now discontinued the XDM Elite standard line, although the 10mm variants and CA approved models still seem to be in production.

As a result, I am curious as to the factory support and parts availability for these handguns. They were in production for the better part of two decades, and still are to some extent. My concern is factory support/service going forward.

I am extremely interested in the new Echelon, and have handled one in the LGS. From what I have researched, the Echelon is better than the XDM/XDM Elite in almost every category. I have contemplated investing in this new platform, but to do so would result in a high cost, approximately $850, including handgun/holster/several spare magazines. That amount of money could purchase upwards of four cases of 9mm ammo. The only reasoning I see in investing in the new platform would be factory support going forward and also to dabble in the use of a red dot.

The Elites have a lifetime warranty, and I am certain Springfield will definitely back them up if any issues occur, I to have a couple of them, great guns, I wouldn’t say the Echelon is a better gun, the modular design is just the way of the future of pistols.

Last edited:

I have around 600-700 rounds through my Echelon, couldn't be happier. No malfunctions of any kind and is very accurate. It has u-dot iron sights and with the variable interface system mounting a dot sight is a breeze without needing adapter plates.

I've had XDMs for almost 20 years. Both the 4.5 and 3.8. Best striker fire triggers I've ever laid hands on...especially over time. I'm deeply invested in holsters for both models as well. My beef has always been that they left us legacy owners hanging for red-dot equipped slide / barrel combos. I have never wanted to send my slide out for machining, but know that Powder River is very competent. It really irritated me when they offered an OSP slide/barrel combo for the regular XD model. I'd be like the OP here and inclined to possibly migrate to the new Echelon platform due to all the advancement made. However, I won't budge until they start making other shorter barrel options for carry duties. Then it would make sense so that the trigger pack can just be moved from one frame and slide for Long Barrel to the Short Barrel / Carry option.

I've had XDMs for almost 20 years. Both the 4.5 and 3.8. Best striker fire triggers I've ever laid hands on...especially over time. I'm deeply invested in holsters for both models as well. My beef has always been that they left us legacy owners hanging for red-dot equipped slide / barrel combos. I have never wanted to send my slide out for machining, but know that Powder River is very competent. It really irritated me when they offered an OSP slide/barrel combo for the regular XD model. I'd be like the OP here and inclined to possibly migrate to the new Echelon platform due to all the advancement made. However, I won't budge until they start making other shorter barrel options for carry duties. Then it would make sense so that the trigger pack can just be moved from one frame and slide for Long Barrel to the Short Barrel / Carry option.
The XDM triggers must be different than the XD Mod 2 triggers. Because XD Mod 2 triggers are, Meh. My Walthers and HKs are miles above them.

Back