testtest

you ain't gonna believe this......dreams do come true

Give them a good coating of oil. Put in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. Wipe clean. The seasoning will get better with use.
NEVER wash them with detergent. That removes the seasoning. Just wipe with a dry towel after use.
If stubborn food just won't come out, fill with water, put on stove and bring water to a boil. Gently scrap clean.

Give them a good coating of oil. Put in the oven at 350 degrees for about an hour. Wipe clean. The seasoning will get better with use.
NEVER wash them with detergent. That removes the seasoning. Just wipe with a dry towel after use.
If stubborn food just won't come out, fill with water, put on stove and bring water to a boil. Gently scrap clean.
Agree. Never use dish soap. It will take away all the oils that seasoned it and soap will fill in the pores.
Long overnight soak of hot water.
I fill my skillet with water and just put it back on top of the cold stove to sit overnight. Scrub next day with a plastic scraper like you buy to clean a glass cooktop

so, you don't wash them after cooking with ordinary dish soaps..????
Never, never, never put any kind of soap product in or on them especially after they're properly seasoned. Wash them out with hot water and a non soapy scouring pad (plastic/not steel wool) for really bad burned on food, but never soap. If ever soap is required, start all over with a proper seasoning process. There are many and varied. Here's mine!

I personally first wash any cast iron under hot running water since most of them come with a wax coating to prevent rust. Dry them thoroughly by placing them on a stove top burner on a very low heat till they're almost too hot to handle, but not quite, then apply a thin coating of lard (tallow), 'Crisco' or Canola oil rubbing it in with paper towels. Make the oil coating as thin as possible since at 400° you'll be a little over the smoke point of most oils. Be careful to not leave any tiny pieces of paper snagged around on the roughness of the pan. But you want just a good, thin (did I mention thin?) coating of either one. Lard/tallow is old school and best in my opinion, but more work.

After you've got them well coated, place them on a center rack in your oven over a shallow pan to catch drippings. Turn the oven on to about 400° for about one hour. After the hour, let them cool enough to touch then apply a second, very thin coating of whatever you used originally and wipe it as dry as possible with paper towels. Set them all out on top of the stove to cool. Once room temp cooled, put them away till ready to use them, then use them like a non-stick pan but be very aware they can/will still burn and stick at this point. They are only in the first stages of becoming non-stick. Every time you use one from now on, wash it out with warm/hot water only (NO SOAP), dry well. Another thin coating and a slight warming on the stove. Wipe out any excess of oil, put away till next time. This is called seasoning them, and will become better each time they're used.

At some point, hard earned but very rewarding, they will develop a dark, black and very smooth surface in the inside of the pan. Once that develops, you'll be so glad you took the time to do it right. I still have and use regularly cast iron pans of my great, great grandmother's. The inside bottoms of the pans are as black and smooth as a hocky puck. You can almost make candy in them without any worry of it sticking. I don't recommend trying that candy making thing, but it's a good descriptor.

Now I'm not saying this is the only way, or the only good way, or even the best way. But what I can say is that it's without question the best way I've ever learned and used, learning it from my grandmother who learned it from her grandmother, and I've been using cast iron for more than 50 years in and around my BBQ'ing efforts. It's a lot of work, but if you like really good cooking methods, it's hard to beat. Good luck!

There's not much better eating than a big cast iron dutch oven full of baked beans flavored with left over shredded pork butt saved from the last cook, and set on one of the smoking racks in my BBQ smoker for a couple hours. Uhmmmmm uhmmmm ... good! And probably the next best thing cooked in a cast iron skillet is white sawmill sausage gravy simmered till bubbly then poured out over some fresh hot biscuits just popped out of a cast iron dutch oven, or a pan full of Southern red gravy over some hot grits. It jus' don't get much better than that! (y)(y)(y)

Feel the cooking surface of the skillets. If it is rough feeling , do yourself a favor by sanding the cooking surface smooth. Then wash and dry , then put it on a burner to make sure all moister is gone. Don't heat real hot.

Step 1--> Next lightly coat the skillet with oil and wipe out excess. Get oven around 200 degrees and place skillet upside down in the oven. leave in about 20 minutes.

Step 2 --> Take skillet out of oven and let cool. When cool redo step 1 and 2

Do step 1 and step 2 at least 3 times and 4 times won't hurt anything. Now you have a well seasoned skillet that will give you a lifetime of use.

One other tip. always get the skillet warmed up before trying to cook anything in it each and every time. For instance , if you are going to fry an egg or two , turn skillet on low heat and wait for the oil to start to shimmer before cracking that first egg.
I wholeheartedly agree with papa on this method too. Not nearly as much work as mine, and will still serve you well.

well here i am already confused....on one video, the guy showed wiping the inside AND outside of the skillet...

i thought that strange, and some of you "seem" to mention only doing the inside..???

any benefits to doing the outside as well..???
No, no, do both inside and outside. The inside for great cooking, the outside for rust prevention and to keep it looking pretty.

yes, i re-checked the box, it states it's "pre-seasoned"

however, the wife does not recall when she got this set....

i'm suspecting it has to be done.
To get the best out of them, and to maybe pass them on to others to use, follow one of these suggestions you've gotten here. Pre-seasoned is a sales ploy, not a permanent thing.

I've found over the last 30 years thats just not true UNLESS you scrub aggressively with a scouring pad.
It depends on what detergent you might have used. Some are far more aggressive than others. Compare Ivory to Dawn. Ivory won't hardly clean really dirty hands, Dawn will take the skin off!!! It's really not that strong, but it's much stronger than most others!

Agree. Never use dish soap. It will take away all the oils that seasoned it and soap will fill in the pores.
Long overnight soak of hot water.
I fill my skillet with water and just put it back on top of the cold stove to sit overnight. Scrub next day with a plastic scraper like you buy to clean a glass cooktop
There ya' go! That'll work just about every time!!! The man is a bonafide cast iron user!

LoL you guys flipping kill me😆😆... I bet you shave only with the way your beard grows, never against or you get ingrown hairs....

Methods of handling cast iron is 'old school' and hard to turn away from when you've been doing it that way for so long and gotten such good results. (y):) Never said it was the only way!

Well since nobody's decided to read the article I linked I guess I'll go ahead and quote part of it.

No, most soaps today aren't powerful enough to remove baked-on seasoning, but a little time travel explains where this urban legend comes from.

Decades ago, soaps were made with lye and vinegar, and they were too harsh for use on cast iron pans. They would indeed strip away oil and could remove seasoning. But today's soaps, especially ones that are made with eco-friendly solutions, are often too mild to remove seasoning.

That's the sole reason for not using soap.
I only use Dawn and I've washed my cast iron pans multiple of times over the years. Like I said unless you get aggressive with a green scouring pad you'll be good. Not once have I ever had soap soak into the pores of my iron pan good gosh lol.

Y'all do what you want to do You're all are far older than I.
Over the years I've used all kinds is different stuff from Crisco to canola oil and I've actually found that avocado oil works best for me because it's a high heat oil and it doesn't start breaking down until over 500°. I for one have never let any of my cast iron pans soak for any amount of time in water that to me is a big no-no that creates rust.
I wash it, put it on the stove heat it up get all the water out of it and then run some more avocado oil on a paper towel around the inside and put it away simple as that.

Well since nobody's decided to read the article I linked I guess I'll go ahead and quote part of it.

That's the sole reason for not using soap.
I only use Dawn and I've washed my cast iron pans multiple of times over the years. Like I said unless you get aggressive with a green scouring pad you'll be good. Not once have I ever had soap soak into the pores of my iron pan good gosh lol.

Y'all do what you want to do You're all are far older than I.
Over the years I've used all kinds is different stuff from Crisco to canola oil and I've actually found that avocado oil works best for me because it's a high heat oil and it doesn't start breaking down until over 500°. I for one have never let any of my cast iron pans soak for any amount of time in water that to me is a big no-no that creates rust.
I wash it, put it on the stove heat it up get all the water out of it and then run some more avocado oil on a paper towel around the inside and put it away simple as that.
Pitdogg, with all due respect everything said here is probably true to a point. But I can assure you that any soap (no matter how mild) will attack and remove some minor amounts of oil built seasoning. Now, if one uses modern 'pre-seasoned' iron and doesn't mind the little amount of seasoning lost by using a mild soap, and is willing to put a similar amount back on each time the pan is used, they'll likely never notice, or maybe never have known, the lost seasoning. But in most cases I believe that once they've used the real thing, an old pan maybe 3 or 4 or more generations old and has been cooked in literally hundreds, maybe thousands of times, many of them over an open fire, and never seeing a drop of soap, most minds would change.

No doubt modern detergents are much milder than older stuff, and no doubt that's where a lot of this comes from, but they're still soap and will remove oils and greases, just at a much lesser rate. Hip hip hooray for 'old school' while it still lives.

LoL you guys flipping kill me😆😆... I bet you shave only with the way your beard grows, never against or you get ingrown hairs....

Everyone knows you need at least two passes if you want a civilized shave. First one with and second one against the grain. If you don’t like ingrown hairs I suggest using a razor like your grandfather used.

Back