testtest

1911 V-16 Long Slide is stuck

As HansGruber suggested - "You could also give it a tap after hitting it with lube.

Either way, break it down and clean it before shooting it."

Never fired, stored gun of that age? Personally, after getting slide free from what seen, there appears to be crack inside sidewall above top of magwell looks to be very suspicious and out of whack. Also appears to be other things out of alignment as well around cracked frame. Many things can happen over 10 years or so? Dropped hard? I'd consult a good local gunsmith to better check out gun visually about your situation before attempting to actually use it. From there, right now? You have some good pics, that may help?

P.S. We all likely know what you mean? But, of course there's no "clip." Gun uses a magazine. Usually lot less pages than favorite gun mag, playboy or playgirl, but it's still called magazine. Good luck on your journey. Hoping you safely get your gun up and going soon.
Don’t see where you see a crack, I see the machine mark where the feed ramp meets the side of the frame by the slide stop, but can’t see any crack.....🤔🤔🤔🤔

As HansGruber suggested - "You could also give it a tap after hitting it with lube.

Either way, break it down and clean it before shooting it."

Never fired, stored gun of that age? Personally, after getting slide free from what seen, there appears to be crack inside sidewall above top of magwell looks to be very suspicious and out of whack. Also appears to be other things out of alignment as well around cracked frame. Many things can happen over 10 years or so? Dropped hard? I'd consult a good local gunsmith to better check out gun visually about your situation before attempting to actually use it. From there, right now? You have some good pics, that may help?

P.S. We all likely know what you mean? But, of course there's no "clip." Gun uses a magazine. Usually lot less pages than favorite gun mag, playboy or playgirl, but it's still called magazine. Good luck on your journey. Hoping you safely get your gun up and going soon.
Thanks for clearing up the clip vs magazine verbiage. Hate to embarrass myself at the new gun range I just joined! I use to train on a M1 Garand back in the day. That was a clip that we loaded the M1 with. Old habits die hard! Oh man, can you imagine all these years the chuckle people have had at my expense?

I bought that gun to go bow hunting in Colorado for Elk in Bear country. Loaded it up with super 45 and went into the San Juan mountains. Came back, swapped the super 45 spring back to the standard 45 and but it in the safe. It has only seen a week of daylight. I'd be surprised if it has a crack. I think that is probably a lighting affect. I had a flashlight pointing in there. Just recently bought a hellcat and have actually shot it! ;) That got me to thinking about trying out the 45. Got a bunch of cheap ammo for it so I thought I'd shoot it.

Anyway, the gunsmith guy opens in the morning and I'm going to take it over there. If I keep playing with it I might actually crack it.

Last edited:
Thanks for clearing up the clip vs magazine verbiage. Hate to embarrass myself at the new gun range I just joined! I use to train on a M1 Garand back in the day. That was a clip that we loaded the M1 with. Old habits die hard! Oh man, can you imagine all these years the chuckle people have had at my expense?

I bought that gun to go bow hunting in Colorado for Elk in Bear country. Loaded it up with super 45 and went into the San Juan mountains. Came back, swapped the super 45 spring back to the standard 45 and but it in the safe. It has only seen a week of daylight. I'd be surprised if it has a crack. I think that is probably a lighting affect. I had a flashlight pointing in there. Just recently bought a hellcat and have actually shot it! ;) That got me to thinking about trying out the 45. Got a bunch of cheap ammo for it so I thought I'd shoot it.

Anyway, the gunsmith guy opens in the morning and I'm going to take it over there. If I keep playing with it I might actually crack it.
Wait...you never tested it before you brought it along to possibly save your life...let alone with the .45 Super loads that required some modifications to the gun?

Wait...you never tested it before you brought it along to possibly save your life...let alone with the .45 Super loads that required some modifications to the gun?
I'm stupid! I did swap the spring out which is the only modification of this gun to enable super 45. To be honest, got the gun on the day we were leaving for Colorado so didn't have much time to play with it. I assumed it would fire a round being brand new and all, famous last words! Back then it ejected cartridge's and racked with no problem. I've always used shotguns and rifles. Here in Iowa we hunt pheasants with shotguns and I use a bow or muzzleloader for deer.

Literally it has not been touched in 20 years. I'm assuming it's rusted up inside. The liquid wrench did not loosen it. Hoping the gunsmith can fix it.

I'm stupid! I did swap the spring out which is the only modification of this gun to enable super 45. To be honest, got the gun on the day we were leaving for Colorado so didn't have much time to play with it. I assumed it would fire a round being brand new and all, famous last words! Back then it ejected cartridge's and racked with no problem. I've always used shotguns and rifles. Here in Iowa we hunt pheasants with shotguns and I use a bow or muzzleloader for deer.

Literally it has not been touched in 20 years. I'm assuming it's rusted up inside. The liquid wrench did not loosen it. Hoping the gunsmith can fix it.

I wouldn't worry too much. Any decent smith can fix it.

Wamoss: any luck yet ?
I'm going to take it to the gunsmith at lunch. It slide forward by tapping the back of the slide near the rear sight. It almost got back to the hot position but just a tad short. I'm afraid to whack to hard!

IMG_0087.jpg

Yes sir! Decided to start carrying with all the craziness going on. That’s the gun that got me to try shooting the 1911.
I almost bought a Hellcat in Dec but went with a Mossberg MC2C instead. It’s a bit of a novelty I know...but felt perfect in my hand and I firmly believe in that requirement when it comes to pistols (HANDguns!) vs rifle selection. It’s nice & flat too. Large dot sights for quick acquisition. More capacity than Hellcat helped the decision a little, as did $$. But I’ve heard nothing but good so far about the ‘cats...

Attachments

• 0101643D-D091-4B99-B668-7DB6C7A479AF.jpeg
    0101643D-D091-4B99-B668-7DB6C7A479AF.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 171
  • CD4CC1F1-B8CC-4EC2-B95C-3B55256C2C71.jpeg
    CD4CC1F1-B8CC-4EC2-B95C-3B55256C2C71.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 155
Is the slide stop all the way in like it’s supposed to be, can you move the slide at all?
Hello, I have a V-16 that has never been fired but I was about to take it to the range. Racked the slide and it stuck. It's unloaded with no clip. Not sure how to get it unstuck!

View attachment 14878

Is the slide stop all the way in like it’s supposed to be, can you move the slide at all?
Took the gun to the Gunsmith and got a 20 dollar education. The slide stop was not all the way in like annihilator had questioned. The gunsmith tapped it back to the disassembly notch and and pressed the slide stop back in which released the tension. In the second picture you can see the button is pressed in but it should be much further out. Good news is no crack and the pistol is in good overall shape. Has some rust! I'm going to break it down this weekend and clean it thoroughly! Any ideas to remove rust???

Took the gun to the Gunsmith and got a 20 dollar education. The slide stop was not all the way in like annihilator had questioned. The gunsmith tapped it back to the disassembly notch and and pressed the slide stop back in which released the tension. In the second picture you can see the button is pressed in but it should be much further out. Good news is no crack and the pistol is in good overall shape. Has some rust! I'm going to break it down this weekend and clean it thoroughly! Any ideas to remove rust???
Was going to send you this yesterday, but kind of figured you'd have checked to make sure the slide stop was pushed all the way in. Apparently, this issue is common with a lot of 1911 models. After trying to make it happen several times with my Kimber Pro Carry 2 1911 several times, I made it happen. Hope we can all learn from this. It doesn't take much. If you put just a little bit of pressure on the right side of the slide stop pin, it will jam up. Put too much on it when racking the slide, it comes all the way out. Who would have thought??

Back